Dear D3, please hire a PR/Logistics professional.

Options

Comments

• Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,313 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

I have played Magic the Gathering for over a decade and I've been a faithful follower of their design and development journals through that time. They are a competent, game-savvy, decades-tested team of professionals with a designing and playtesting infrastructure perfected over the years. And they still manage to create a card or two that end being completely busted in a given format every other year.

My point being that mistakes, mis-assessments, and oversights WILL happen. No matter how big your playtesting team is, no matter ho much time do you spend testing, you will never be able to emulate accurately the conditions in which a game will be experienced when played over a long time by literal millions of people. For us, nowadays, it may boggle the mind to wonder how didn't they notice that Sentry was broken but it may have not seem that bad in playtesting for reasons. We'll never know. The important part, then, if mistakes cannot be entirely avoided, is to be gracious, humble and properly understanding of the playerbase's feelings and how to make reparations in a timely manner. Basically everything that Alliance slots announcement is not.

MTG learned a lot from its mistakes. This is a bunch of guys who started thinking Healing Salve is about as good as Ancestral Recall, and now they can be considered the golden standard for balance in everything game related. Part of it, of course, is because you can't easily take back MTG cards so you can't just make say a 1G for 4/4 and then say don't worry we'll change it to 3/3 later if that was too good. I don't think being polite/humble means anything. I'm sure there's plenty of hate mail when they banned Jace from one of the format too. You don't hear much trashing about MTG because MTG very rarely has to resort to such drastic measures which effectively wiped out people's investment in whatever the overpowered card that was banned (and usually 4 copies of it!).

It's kind of puzzling since MTG guys don't mind sharing their design philosophy with other people and a lot of what they do applies to almost any game. For example read up on their article about card drawing and their philosophy around such a vital part of the game and replace card drawing with 'AP generation' and you can copy almost everything verbatim. Balance is a hard problem, but there's no need to reinvent the wheel. For Sentry you can pretty much look at their article about how losing life as a cost to activate abilities isn't a big deal if there aren't burn decks around and that is pretty much exactly the same thing here, except that MPQ has no such thing as a 'burn' character that can possibly punish Sentry's self-damage, which is hardly surprising since Sentry has one of the most HP amongst characters in the game, while the shockland archtype is equivalent of a character with the least amount of HP.

Wait, so are we agreeing here that mistakes happen, especially during a game developer's youth? Because that's precisely what I'm saying. Now if we understand that mistakes and the addition or removal of controversial features are basically unavoidable, wouldn't it be nice to have a mechanism that softens the blow? Compensation? Understanding of people's reactions that will eventually affect the way design thinks about future implementations? Expecting perfection, is absurd so what's the point in bringing it up? They are clearly improving or at least trying continuously in that regard. On the other hand, expecting proper acknowledgement of imperfection and measures to lessen the impact it has, specially on paying customers, is not absurd at all.
  • arktos1971 wrote:
    Or they could shut down the forum. Hmmm... Which would be cheaper for them? Look, they're not the biggest part of the problem. It's nick picky ppl. Ppl complain they don't communicate, then they complain when they do communicate. All I can say is you're lucky I'm not in charge. The only communication I would have is in game. I would not waste resources hiring a PR person for the few ppl that need their hand held all the time BC the game does revolve around there special wants and needs.

Take it easy Stephen.

It wouldn't take that much time to communicate better.

We've been on the forum too long. All this communication we get, everyone else (95%+ of players) only get any communication that gets put into pop up in-game.

Moreover, I understand being upset when they don't communicate. I don't understand why people think when mpq communicates, that's not good enough for some people. People who think that mpq had to justify every move they make and seem players' approval to make those moves.

Edit - also, not currently at my highest level of sanity. I apologize, for anything I say that makes absolutely no sense
  • I'm not really concerned with how they're going to phrase an unpopular change like true healing or whatever because to me that's just paying the debt for a bad decision. The current alliance issue is another exampe of 'nothing good could've come out of this' so now they're just paying the debt for a previous bad decision and whether they want to have a nice PR or something like 'stop whining you guys got enough free covers' doesn't really matter to me, because people are going to hate them either way because it's debt that you have to pay. When Sentry gets nerfed that's another example of paying up debt. What I'm concerned is communication for things that aren't debts, like whether there's any plan for new modes or fixes to some of the game design problems (PvP shields, PvE scaling, PvE frequency of playing). I do consider the timetable of Sentry's nerf to be something that requires communication, as in I don't think they owe us anything for nerfing Sentry but we most definitely should know when to expect this to happen because there's going to be a huge shakeup to PvP when he's nerfed. Maybe there isn't anything you can do to prepare for something as significant as nerfing of Sentry, but at least I'd like to know a rough timeframe of when to expect it and I don't think that's demanding too much. The new guys definitely deserve to know this more than the veterans since it can be a large investment to get Sentry to a level where you can use him competitively.
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I'm not really concerned with how they're going to phrase an unpopular change like true healing or whatever because to me that's just paying the debt for a bad decision. The current alliance issue is another exampe of 'nothing good could've come out of this' so now they're just paying the debt for a previous bad decision and whether they want to have a nice PR or something like 'stop whining you guys got enough free covers' doesn't really matter to me, because people are going to hate them either way because it's debt that you have to pay. When Sentry gets nerfed that's another example of paying up debt. What I'm concerned is communication for things that aren't debts, like whether there's any plan for new modes or fixes to some of the game design problems (PvP shields, PvE scaling, PvE frequency of playing). I do consider the timetable of Sentry's nerf to be something that requires communication, as in I don't think they owe us anything for nerfing Sentry but we most definitely should know when to expect this to happen because there's going to be a huge shakeup to PvP when he's nerfed. Maybe there isn't anything you can do to prepare for something as significant as nerfing of Sentry, but at least I'd like to know a rough timeframe of when to expect it and I don't think that's demanding too much. The new guys definitely deserve to know this more than the veterans since it can be a large investment to get Sentry to a level where you can use him competitively.
    I agree. And knowing what the nerf is intended to be would be very helpful. I know I got screwed with the past nerfs/buffs of X-Force, Classic Mags, and Lazy Daken because for months on end we were told it would happen, but only in the few days before it happened did we get a sense that, yes, it was finally going to happen and we learned what the changes were. In both instances, when the changes occurred, I wound up with wrong builds that needed to be respecc'd but insufficient covers and ISO to do so. I had been selling off X-Force covers from PVP wins like crazy because my X-Force was fully covered ages ago, but I had none when I actually needed to respec. The same was true of Classic Mags and Daken. Had I known what the changes would be, I would have saved my covers for respecc'ing. Also, without knowing if the X-Force buff would be legitimate or when it would occur, I didn't have ISO available to pump into him when the buff occurred.

A little advance notice would have allowed players to plan for the changes, rather than wind up with bad builds. (Free respecc'ing also would have cured a lot of these problems.)
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Or they could shut down the forum. Hmmm... Which would be cheaper for them? Look, they're not the biggest part of the problem. It's nick picky ppl. Ppl complain they don't communicate, then they complain when they do communicate. All I can say is you're lucky I'm not in charge. The only communication I would have is in game. I would not waste resources hiring a PR person for the few ppl that need their hand held all the time BC the game does revolve around there special wants and needs.

It's nitpicky - sorry I must be one of those people!
  • Lystrata wrote:
    ...What I would like, is if when they make announcements about things that actually affect the game / player base, they showed they'd considered the consequences for all players. A company showing that it thinks about the consequences of its actions isn't really an outrageous demand. Really.

For instance, the alliance slot thing would've been much less troublesome if they'd said upfront - "Sure, we know this is going to be a pain for players who've paid for slots, and while we feel that this will benefit the game overall, here's some measure of compensation for people who already invested in this." Rather than an announcement, a waiting period of complaints, then a back-peddling 'er, yeah, this might negatively affect some of you, get in touch and we'll see what happens.'...
    D3P didn't seem to be particularly generous from the start. Unfortunately I don't expect them to be generous. Whenever they give out something, I'm surprised lest they take something away like they did with the cover rotation ****. I have 12 covers of Punisher.

More communication as in when the nerfs, new game modes, anything that is either in consideration or development stage probably won't happen. It will probably be communicated when you think it is too late to matter or too sudden. In the past they put up a funbalance list and people kept asking about when it was gonna happen. It took them so long to implement those changes, they even stopped coming up with lists now. From the developers' perspective it isn't wise to give a timeframe because if they miss it people are gonna be mad. If they try to be careful with the date, people will get mad again saying it shouldn't take that long. It happened a couple of times in another f2p game I was playing and people got very mad the devs not being able to adhere to the dates they announced before and rightfully so. People got mad here because X-Force buff was taking so long or CMags nerf... when is it? OMG. Should I buy covers? Should I sell him? I think it is good to be giving as little info as possible like they do now instead of telling everything and watch people go crazy over it unless it is near complete.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2014
    Options
    All I'll say on this topic is that, while I feel the devs are truly awesome at game design and production, their methods of delivery and implementation leave a bit to be desired. There are times, mainly after a poorly handled announcement, patch, or upgrade, that I wonder if the guys/gals at D3/Demiurge have had any business training whatsoever! The game is, literally, one of my favorite games ever. Nothing against the game itself. But making a game and getting it out to the public are 2 totally different things. Being good at one does not make one automatically good at the other.
  • Or they could shut down the forum. Hmmm... Which would be cheaper for them? Look, they're not the biggest part of the problem. It's nick picky ppl. Ppl complain they don't communicate, then they complain when they do communicate. All I can say is you're lucky I'm not in charge. The only communication I would have is in game. I would not waste resources hiring a PR person for the few ppl that need their hand held all the time BC the game does revolve around there special wants and needs.

Did you work at IBM before 1980? That bold sentence right there is what university classes and big organizations and companies are trying to prove wrong. When you are in the selling business, you HAVE to make the product REVOLVE around the SPECIAL WANTS AND NEEDS. Every single customer matters! F2P or P2W we are all customers. Especially when those customers have PAID for a service (Such as alliance slots), you should know better that to mess with their trust.
  • You do have to take care of your customers, especially when the majority is addict and has all the signs that go with this addiction.

You make the biggest money with addicts.

See the wisest guys here on the forum : most of them are F2P. (HM : you've just been called wisest guy)

So, honestly, the freaks rule... (might seem funny but it's true)
  • Pylgrim wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    You're not going to PR your way out of something like alliance which was a P2W mechanism from start and either you continue the P2W path or at some point you got to say 'well that turned out to be a very bad idea'. When Sentry invariably gets nerfed people will complain too, though these issues are design issue not communication issue. You're not going to design a game breaking character and then somehow convince people who pumped resources if not significant $ that it's all in the interest of the game to fix this stuff especially since games don't give out refunds. If there was a law that required you to refund money for a significant change on any major design we might see gaming companies (not just D3) being more responsible with design but since no such law exists there's always this tendency of 'make stuff overpowered at first and then balance it later after the money comes in'.

I think the communication from D3 is generally somewhat lacking, but it doesn't change the underyling design issues. Anybody can say they're aware of some issue and it doesn't matter until the issue is actually addressed.

Finally, I think people throw around the 'buggy' term way too much. A buggy game is one where you have to shut down with the task manager instead of using the game's quit function. The worst I've seen from this game would be a random crash in the middle of a game or some weird graphics glitch with some abilities (there seems to be one that superimposes a tile with a special tile together recently) but nothing that makes playing impossible.

I have played Magic the Gathering for over a decade and I've been a faithful follower of their design and development journals through that time. They are a competent, game-savvy, decades-tested team of professionals with a designing and playtesting infrastructure perfected over the years. And they still manage to create a card or two that end being completely busted in a given format every other year.

My point being that mistakes, mis-assessments, and oversights WILL happen. No matter how big your playtesting team is, no matter ho much time do you spend testing, you will never be able to emulate accurately the conditions in which a game will be experienced when played over a long time by literal millions of people. For us, nowadays, it may boggle the mind to wonder how didn't they notice that Sentry was broken but it may have not seem that bad in playtesting for reasons. We'll never know. The important part, then, if mistakes cannot be entirely avoided, is to be gracious, humble and properly understanding of the playerbase's feelings and how to make reparations in a timely manner. Basically everything that Alliance slots announcement is not.
    What? Wizards invariably takes a year too long to ban obviously broken cards and doesn't refund everyones' money when they ban a card
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Finally, I think people throw around the 'buggy' term way too much. A buggy game is one where you have to shut down with the task manager instead of using the game's quit function. The worst I've seen from this game would be a random crash in the middle of a game or some weird graphics glitch with some abilities (there seems to be one that superimposes a tile with a special tile together recently) but nothing that makes playing impossible.

As originally coined, a software 'bug' is any kind of flaw, failure or error in the system that causes it to fail; exhibit incorrect/unexpected results or behave in non-intended ways.
    By that definition exploits related to balance issues that 'break the game' in non-intended ways are bugs, as are game mechanics obviously not working as intended.
    Shield hopping being possible? Bug.
    Sentry-bombing a viable means to win? Bug.
    MMR going completely bonkers? Bug. Bug. Bug.

And in the category of incorrect or unexpected results we have:
    Ares Sunder bug.
    Patch strike tile bug; all generated tiles being player-awarded.
    Black Panther strike tile bug; strike tiles doubling up on an exact 12 TU AP.
    Multiple cases of missing event rewards.
    Multiple cases of mixed up event rewards (the last case being the anniversary tokens, but prior to that event tokens and regular heroics becoming mixed up)
    Several damage calculations for several player skills being downright wrong (not just being retuned; but being corrected)
    Wrong amount of AP being awarded during cascades
    Critical tiles matching prematurely before dropping down, under certain conditions
    Timer tiles ticking down multiple times within the same turn, under certain conditions (happens as timers are processed row-by-row and certain board moves can cause a timer to shift position to a lower row and be processed twice)
    AI using skills without having sufficient AP (officially unconfirmed, but noticed by numerous people, among which yours truly, in situations where no goons were present to generate AP, no passive skills could've generated AP and the AI had not yet made any tile match. E.g. Ares first-turning a Sunder or Onslaught in a goon-free PvE without Hood present.)
    etc.

Finally, in the category of catastrophic failure;
    The freeze on shutdown bug in the PC/Steam release
    Numerous freeze on startup issues on both Android and iOS (we've had a few months where they almost came passing by in flavor of the week style)
    Numerous crashes during match start on Android
    A crash during match start on PC/Steam
    A crash on startup on PC/Steam and WinXP
    Total progress being reset seemingly at random on PC/Steam

Should I start digging deeper to extend the list, or have I made my point?
  • Lystrata wrote:
    I think part of the problem here, though, is they got someone entirely new to the game to be their so-called 'CM'. I didn't understand then, and I don't understand now, how you can possibly open dialogue between devs and the player base, through a channel that doesn't actually know or understand the game. What the player base really needs is someone who can foresee how changes are going to affect people at each stage of the game - beginner, transitioner, vet. Or, at the very least, someone who can keep these different stages in mind.

Having said that, I don't think this is entirely David's 'fault', either, or know how much it would change even with an experienced player in a CM role - given that atm all it seems the CM is expected to do is post notes about blog updates, interviews and facebook statuses. I really can't work out what else the role entails. Which, as Pylgrim said, is nothing personal about David. If that's the role, that's the role, but... it's a pointless one, and not what a forum - or a player base - needs.

I'm just gonna throw this out there. How the **** did this role not get offered to Nonce? No, seriously. I don't think anyone who knows anything about this forum or what Nonce has done would have anything but praise for a decision like that. It'd be the most player-friendly move D3 could possibly make, and I'm 99% sure that Nonce is qualified for the job.
  • _RiO_
    Options
    Lystrata wrote:
    I think part of the problem here, though, is they got someone entirely new to the game to be their so-called 'CM'. I didn't understand then, and I don't understand now, how you can possibly open dialogue between devs and the player base, through a channel that doesn't actually know or understand the game. What the player base really needs is someone who can foresee how changes are going to affect people at each stage of the game - beginner, transitioner, vet. Or, at the very least, someone who can keep these different stages in mind.

Having said that, I don't think this is entirely David's 'fault', either, or know how much it would change even with an experienced player in a CM role - given that atm all it seems the CM is expected to do is post notes about blog updates, interviews and facebook statuses. I really can't work out what else the role entails. Which, as Pylgrim said, is nothing personal about David. If that's the role, that's the role, but... it's a pointless one, and not what a forum - or a player base - needs.

I'm just gonna throw this out there. How the tinykitty did this role not get offered to Nonce? No, seriously. I don't think anyone who knows anything about this forum or what Nonce has done would have anything but praise for a decision like that. It'd be the most player-friendly move D3 could possibly make, and I'm 99% sure that Nonce is qualified for the job.

Because management didn't approve of him anymore.

Also; money.
  • I just want to make sure I understand. You rather them spend finite resources on this instead of fixing characters or developing new content or similar things?

And if this is the case, when they start having these awesome PR announcements (that seem to be the panacea from what I've read in this thread), I hope you enjoy those with your 2 abilities 3*'s and repeating another re-run of a Heroic PVE.
  • _RiO_ wrote:
    Lystrata wrote:

I'm just gonna throw this out there. How the tinykitty did this role not get offered to Nonce? No, seriously. I don't think anyone who knows anything about this forum or what Nonce has done would have anything but praise for a decision like that. It'd be the most player-friendly move D3 could possibly make, and I'm 99% sure that Nonce is qualified for the job.

Because management didn't approve of him anymore.

Then management is short-sighted fuckwits.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,313 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    _RiO_ wrote:

Calling that a bug is absurd. At worst is a exploit, but you can expect that the players will always find and heavily use the more effective/faster ways to win. Nerf Sentry? Players will move onto the second fastest combo (c.Storm/mMags/mHawkeye?). Nerf those and then they move onto the third more effective and so on. The fact that it needs to be addressed to slow down shield hopping (which is another exploit of mechanics, not a bug) doesn't mean that the character is not working as intended.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just want to make sure I understand. You rather them spend finite resources on this instead of fixing characters or developing new content or similar things?

And if this is the case, when they start having these awesome PR announcements (that seem to be the panacea from what I've read in this thread), I hope you enjoy those with your 2 abilities 3*'s and repeating another re-run of a Heroic PVE.

I think you are making a connection where there is none and I am confused as to how you can't seperate the two. Trust me, they aren't not doing your suggestions because of this messaging.

People are only speaking about the quality and the substance of the message. Really, it's just writing a few blocks of text, no one is going to be losing more than 5 - 15 mins, maybe 30 depending on the complexity.

It can take the same amount of time as they give it now, just worded differently.

Heck, I'll come on and write their messages for them and I work for virtual currency (though would prefer real).
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just want to make sure I understand. You rather them spend finite resources on this instead of fixing characters or developing new content or similar things?

You're still missing the point, it's not about having a person to get wheeled out, smile at us and deliver bad news and then hand us a lollipop.
    This thread''s about hiring someone capable of communicating both ways effectively, passing on news from developers while also gathering ideas, grievances, requests and suggestions from the forums back to the developers. It's likely that happens already but it's all so opaque it's difficult to know for sure.

The key in any business is communication. You need to keep your customers happy, or they'll just go somewhere else and people don't like feeling they're being decieved or lied to.

D3 has had times whe something big is happening, but we've had no time to prepare for it. It's been drpped on us and we're told to just deal with it. Or there's a known issue and it takes some time before anyone even acknowledges it, never mind tells us what's going on. Even a simple "We're aware of the issue, give me an hour and I'll get back to you with news" post would be nice. Like when a lot of people suddenly got another reward from Combined Arms and Venom events a lot of people were unsure whether they should claim those rewards in case they got penalised later and told to pay it back somehow. Took hours before anyone gave us the all clear.

So yes, I think a lot of us would be happier waiting for new characters and such if it meant we had a single voice that was heard in the company, who listened to issues and could go and find out what's going on and relay information back to us.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The other interesting point to note, is that the game could be in EXACTLY the same state it is in right now, but with a slightly different tone to the messaging, the random bursts of "grr" coming from across the boards would be lessened.

Would the game still have all sort of issues and concerns? Sure but at least there would be a mutual and respectful understanding, rather than the sort of.... one way tokenistic service we get at times.

The textbook case is how True Healing was handled. The messaging was shocking, then compounded by no messaging, then componded by some sort of weak follow through. Yes, the way healing is handled across the game still is pretty atrocious and realistically should be completely rethought through and simplified, but had the initial True Healing* message been better crafted and thought through, there would be no 70 page thread you see today.

* Even typing this and giving it the respect of capitals make me feel ill.
  • _RiO_
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    _RiO_ wrote:

Calling that a bug is absurd. At worst is a exploit, but you can expect that the players will always find and heavily use the more effective/faster ways to win.

An exploit is by its very definition a bug; you are exploiting an unintended side-effect of the mechanics. The fact that you can use deep pockets to abuse +3 boosts and instant health-pack revives to make something like Sentry-bombing work and 'buy' yourself to the top that way, is certainly an unintended side-effect in any fair game. It is something that rightfully should have been anticipated by the developers when they first came up the laughable detriment of self-damage and ally-damage as the counter-balance to Sentry's impressive damage output when boosted by strike tiles, and if it would have been anticipated, then it would surely not have been put into the game as an intended means of play.