*** Colossus (Classic) ***

Options

Comments

• mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think his yellow should be a passive like such:

Immovable Object - Passive
    Colossus protects his team by standing in front of any force that comes their way. If there are more than 10 yellow tiles on the board, Colossus moves to the front at the end of the turn and resists 25% of the damage dealt to him.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: More than 9 yellow tiles. Damage reduction up to 35%
    Level 3: More than 8 yellow tiles. Damage reduction up to 45%
    Level 4: More than 7 yellow tiles. Damage reduction up to 50%
    Level 5: Moves to the front after every turn

this may be OP but the idea is that it should be passive
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Honestly speaking, when strike tiles and attack tiles can bypass Immoveable Object, he's not quite immovable. That seriously needs to be changed if he's ever going to be taken seriously as a defensive character. At least Hulk gets Anger of those since it's total damage done by one attack. Characters like Human Torch and Doom will just eat right through him.
  • Don't know if anyone mentioned this but I have been stunned more than once with Colossus' CD tile out and he was forced to the rear while my two non-stunned teammates took damage. If he is immovable shouldn't he stay in the front while stunned too? Is this meant to be or a glitch? Has anyone else experienced this fighting Storm?
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fsentell wrote:
    Don't know if anyone mentioned this but I have been stunned more than once with Colossus' CD tile out and he was forced to the rear while my two non-stunned teammates took damage. If he is immovable shouldn't he stay in the front while stunned too? Is this meant to be or a glitch? Has anyone else experienced this fighting Storm?

The ability says that Colossus "moves to the front at the end of the turn", but he can't move if he's stunned so this is working as intended.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think his yellow should be a passive like such:

Immovable Object - Passive
    Colossus protects his team by standing in front of any force that comes their way. If there are more than 10 yellow tiles on the board, Colossus moves to the front at the end of the turn and resists 25% of the damage dealt to him.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: More than 9 yellow tiles. Damage reduction up to 35%
    Level 3: More than 8 yellow tiles. Damage reduction up to 45%
    Level 4: More than 7 yellow tiles. Damage reduction up to 50%
    Level 5: Moves to the front after every turn

this may be OP but the idea is that it should be passive

Yes it would be a bit OP but the idea is spot on. The only way Defensive abilties are going to be a viable option is to either greatly lower their costs or vastly increase their power. In additon the fact this does not reduce strike tile or attack tile damage is sort of a joke, as Sentry still rips through this guy. I would rather have cheap but less powerful defensive capabilties than slow powerful ones. Like if Magneto's Coercive Force cost 5 but only put up 5 def tiles I would be estactic because you can liter the board with them early to set up late game options.
  • I would have liked something more passive for his yellowflag.png - like bullseye creating shields but maybe the shields colossus popped out could be %based instead of a flat amount

i.e. every green match converts a yellow tile to a -3/6/9/12/15% damage tile. Any ability that's not a passive and costs a lot on defense will probably never get used.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I look at Colossus and see his red as really powerful and his black as huge potential. His Red at level 5 is almost as strong as CoTS when he is in front.
    his Black is really interesting. In PVP if he is the boosted character with Level 5 in black you can potentially double nuke someone. Let's say he throws LThor with 1 turn LThor hits Thuderstrike. Then You activate Thunderstrke because you have enough yellow. You might get enough green for CoTS twice!! If you throw LDaken you will hit chemical reaction and that will do solid damage. The issue with his black do you have someone worth throwing to double dip on attack powers. At 13 black it is expensive so Hood would be needed to help get up to 13 AP. So in PVP if he is not boosted and you do not have a strong Main character Black might not be very good because throwing Hood for a 50% chance of his pistol hitting isn't really worth 13 AP.
    After playing him he feels really good in PVE where he can be a 1 color character red and a bonus of black compared to PVP where he needs to have the right mix around him to be effective.
    Overall I think 5 in red is the simplest to say yes to while yellow and black will really depend on your roster compisition and who you play him with. With my team I think 3,5,5 will be best in the long run.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    I look at Colossus and see his red as really powerful and his black as huge potential. His Red at level 5 is almost as strong as CoTS when he is in front.
    his Black is really interesting. In PVP if he is the boosted character with Level 5 in black you can potentially double nuke someone. Let's say he throws LThor with 1 turn LThor hits Thuderstrike. Then You activate Thunderstrke because you have enough yellow. You might get enough green for CoTS twice!! If you throw LDaken you will hit chemical reaction and that will do solid damage. The issue with his black do you have someone worth throwing to double dip on attack powers. At 13 black it is expensive so Hood would be needed to help get up to 13 AP. So in PVP if he is not boosted and you do not have a strong Main character Black might not be very good because throwing Hood for a 50% chance of his pistol hitting isn't really worth 13 AP.
    After playing him he feels really good in PVE where he can be a 1 color character red and a bonus of black compared to PVP where he needs to have the right mix around him to be effective.
    Overall I think 5 in red is the simplest to say yes to while yellow and black will really depend on your roster compisition and who you play him with. With my team I think 3,5,5 will be best in the long run.

Still not sure why I see so many people thinking that throwing characters like Daken would be worth it. This would do ~3-4k damage for 13 black AP, which is the same amount of damage that Torch does for effectively 6 red AP. You really need guys with overall high AP cost abilities to throw, and the only character that reliably has this is Fury: even characters like LazyThor and such have a chance of throwing out a super mediocre ability. Agreed with everything else, but black is definitely underwhelming, and should not be considered more than just a bonus ability. I see 5 yellow doing pretty okay in PvE, so my bet is on 5/5/3.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime wrote:

I'll give you 6 reasons why not to go 5 in Colossus Fastball

1.)Surgical Strike
    2.)Rage of the Panther
    3.)Hypersonic Punch
    4.)Psi Katana
    5.)Hailstorm
    6.)Molotov Cocktail

All of these are either going to do more damage or have more utility than Fastball Special
    Surgical Strike
    enough said
    Rage of the Panther
    3708 AoE damage..yes please
    Hypersonic Punch---2.5K damage and a 2 turn stun
    Psi katana----I can cast this twice in the time it would take to get fastball and do more damage
    Hailstorm---the Dot will outstrip Fastball
    Moltove Cocktail---I can darn near cast this twice and do AoE

I'm not saying Fastball Special is bad, I'm just saying that to rely on it as a primary damage spell, when A. It's expensive B. The free skill is random. and C.If he's the only one left it's worthless.

I will say it again don't go more than 4 in black a 4/5/4 is a solid build, but with how much easier having yellow at 5 allows you to use Collassal Punch, I think it's the better way to go. I look at Fastball Special as a defensive ability that just happens to do damage. I want to throw my guy up, to keep him out of harms way, sort of an odd IW ability especially going against Thor's, Panthers, Sentyr's, anyone with AoE's, when they get close you can throw them, use Immovable Object to absorb some of the damage, your guy in the air is protected, then when he lands you can unload
  • Fastball Special is more of something you use when you don't have a black user. It doesn't make sense to build the game around Fastball Special. Besides, the improved level only decreases the airborne time, and why would you want to shorten the invulnerability time of any particular member? Sure the match damage goes down but unless that character has a killer passive (Falcon for PvE, Daken in general, OBW in general) you're not losing anything for that character being airborne.
  • Fastball Special is extremely satisfying when you are chucking a Deadpool -- either ALOTT chunks them down such that the damage from FS kills them or comes close, or you get free whales.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    Options
    Well they stated they are going to be removing the icon_colossus_new.png symbol in the game. Wish I had the option of keeping it or not but I guess its gonna be a global change. In the end, the following image/meme will always apply when I am using Colossus.
    zangief__real_soviet_damage_by_spacecoyote-d49m82b.jpg
  • Fastball Special is extremely satisfying when you are chucking a Deadpool -- either ALOTT chunks them down such that the damage from FS kills them or comes close, or you get free whales.

Not free, 13 blacktile.png . Nothing to sneeze at. Still Fastball Special is unique in it's adaptability and versatility.

Do we know yet how Deadpool's black interacts with Colossus' yellow? Will Deadpool save Colossus from hits even when yellow is out?
  • OnesOwnGrief
    Options
    So I don't know why I thought this wouldn't happen but Intimidation also reduces the counter for Immovable Object. Makes for a very easy team to hit if you see it.
  • The only characters that average more than 13 AP per move is IM40 and GSBW so it's always a net loss of AP for anyone else with Fastball Special, and this makes a rather ridiculous assumption that moves like Pistols and Ballistic Salvo are actually worth their AP cost. It's not even versatile because you don't know what ability you're going to get. It's something you use when you have no other black user or your other black user is down, or if you're super desperate and need a Whales or something big to save the day. Since X Force is a legit top PvP choice denying black is probably necessary so there should be a use for black, though you could just get X Force too, and if you don't have him or Sentry and you're fighting X Force it's a pretty bad mismatch that it wouldn't really matter if you have Colossus or not (and probably better to not have him in this case).
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Still not sure why I see so many people thinking that throwing characters like Daken would be worth it. This would do ~3-4k damage for 13 black AP, which is the same amount of damage that Torch does for effectively 6 red AP. You really need guys with overall high AP cost abilities to throw, and the only character that reliably has this is Fury: even characters like LazyThor and such have a chance of throwing out a super mediocre ability. Agreed with everything else, but black is definitely underwhelming, and should not be considered more than just a bonus ability. I see 5 yellow doing pretty okay in PvE, so my bet is on 5/5/3.

This is misleading. You can't compare a 6 ap cost ability to a gap between 2 abilities. Why? Finding a color is a lot harder after you have farmed it the entire game, especially 13 ap into a fight. Second, what if you don't get much of a specific color you are looking for but get plenty of black .

Yellow should definitely be at 5, I don't think players understand how valuable it is to see that (X) character is going to use (X) direct damage abiltity and have Colossus shoot up front and HALVE the damage into his enormous HP totals. Even defensively having Colossus (the tank) block all incoming attacks and halving damage for 5 turns is going to be insanely annoying. I don't think this will be realized until after everyone has to fight him with 5 yellow.
  • Dauthi wrote:

This is misleading. You can't compare a 6 ap cost ability to a gap between 2 abilities. Why? Finding a color is a lot harder after you have farmed it the entire game, especially 13 ap into a fight. Second, what if you don't get much of a specific color you are looking for but get plenty of black .

Yellow should definitely be at 5, I don't think players understand how valuable it is to see that (X) character is going to use (X) direct damage abiltity and have Colossus shoot up front and HALVE the damage into his enormous HP totals. Even defensively having Colossus (the tank) block all incoming attacks and halving damage for 5 turns is going to be insanely annoying. I don't think this will be realized until after everyone has to fight him with 5 yellow.

Black is pretty weak but if you got no other black users it's something to do with your AP. I had some games in the gauntlet where I had 30 AP on the two colors I don't need and while even a lousy move in those two colors would be better than nothing. That said I don't even see a point to raise black beyond level 3 even if it cost you nothing (as in you could get 5/5/5) because there's no advantage to get your guy back earlier unless he's someone with a strong passive (OBW, Daken, The Hood, and Falcon) but those guys don't make much sense to throw in the first place. You lose their match damage but they're immune to damage in air so you can use it to avoid damage done by AEs and there are some very strong ones too. I think 2 more turns of invulnerability has to be better than getting a guy's match damage back 2 turns earlier.
  • The main use I think I'll have for black is getting a player off the board when something you can't avoid otherwise is going to go off - for example, trying to save Hood from a Tommy Gun. In those situations, the longer countdown might actually be an advantage, which supports 5/5/3, as I see it. 13 ap is probably overpriced for that, but considering that Colossus's other two powers are usable (and the yellow is pretty unique), I'm not going to damn him for an overpriced third.

I think Colossus's main use, once enough people have him leveled and covered, is going to be to protect someone like Hood and allow you to field a team with a couple of relatively squishy people. His yellow might also make him useful in trying to buy time against enemies who tend to dish out lot of strong attacks - I could see using him against a high-level Juggernaut, for example, since with Colossus's yellow at five covers, if it's active, Headbutt will do the same damage to both sides (less to you if you protect tiles out). He'll probably see a lot more use in PVE in tricky nodes than PVP - his yellow means he might end up the "whenall else fails" tactic in some hard PVE nodes. Sure, you won't be able to use him again for a while, but you don't necessarily need to.
  • MY observation with colossus after running him a bit in PvP

his yellow activates more often than one might think, simply because most player including myself running red/green/blue(daken) matches way before collecting yellow unless the entire board is filled with yellow. T

Many times over I have to deal with colossus's yellow having to force me to either trying to take out his yellow CD or finish him off so I can get thru to my real target. Which is indeed annoying and this is only a level 60 colossus with 3k hp and yellow cover.

I can only imagine a fully maxed colossus will be extremely annoying simply you cannot ignore his black and yellow. Unless you run X-force and tank black but that still means you have to compete for yellow at the same time and if you also have to look out for someone's red/green, it will come down to board luck.

As for dishing out my own black. I have to say a few times in PvE where my Lthor was about to die and a flashing black saved my entire match. As someone mentioned, I was able to double dip on yellow and follow by green twice and completely wiped the other team.

so in real terms you can look at Colossus like this

His yellow is a defensive deterrent and his black is a chance to come back from behind offensive skill if you have Lthor or Nick Fury etc that can turn the tie based on 1 or 2 skills. His red is very usable and often is all you need to form a team of 3. So when you add all 3 skills, it becomes clear he is very diverse and gives you that added option/ability to change your tactic mid way thru your match and might even save your bacon from time to time.

I fully expect he will continue to gain popularity as time goes on.
    He is a good 3rd character to round out any or most 2 team combos,
  • As someone who enjoys defensive tactics I found out a funny trick I'd like to share:

1. Cast Immovable object, preferably on some tile at the bottom of the screen.
    2. Shield the countdown tile and all surrounding tiles with Invisible Woman's blue skill.
    3. Enjoy a virtually invulnerable Colossus (50% damage reduction + IW's huge protect tile) tanking for your team indefinitely (the countdown tile will never expire but he still steps to the front and gets the damage reduction).