Too Many Secrets - Season V opener

Options
12346»

Comments

• Big shout outs and congratulations go out to my Xmen Bro Puerto Rico for getting the first 2100 PvP score and the new record for highest PvP score.

Did it all without a single maxed char (Well he has a max dead pool he doesn't use). Unbelievable man... You're a beast!

Come at me bro. icon_lol.gif

5nXPtaSl.jpg
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Big shout outs and congratulations go out to my Xmen Bro Puerto Rico for getting the first 2100 PvP score and the new record for highest PvP score.

Did it all without a single maxed char (Well he has a max dead pool he doesn't use). Unbelievable man... You're a beast!
    1544539_817178054967432_3954264407495272000_n.jpg?oh=778e240866c98b7c8e24a7f7487e5100&oe=5466973E&__gda__=1416961539_748889346a02d8c28b63362c45cc3a2f
  • Lyrian wrote:
    Big shout outs and congratulations go out to my Xmen Bro Puerto Rico for getting the first 2100 PvP score and the new record for highest PvP score.

Yeesh... 2121 points?

I don't even..... that seriously doesn't compute (at least to me).

Impressive, to say the least. That had to require quite a significant HP spend to shield hop that high.

Grats on the achievement!

It does require a lot of HP. Everyone always asks and I don't really know what to tell them. I was thinking about posting my pvp log one of these days just to see for myself if nothing else. This wasn't a good pvp for me at all. I got sniped while shield hopping 4 times and 5 out of 6 in a row (and 8 times total just today) and then lost to a teammate while going for 2k right at the end. I'm embarrassed by my pathetic 1957 score compared to what these others put up. icon_lol.gif

Well I gave you a whole 3 points I think icon_e_smile.gif went to hit you for 1300 and kids distracted me, I forgot to hit sacrifice before WR went off with my sentry. It was all downhill from there and a black widow 3 turn stun hit a little after that too. Got nick fury still but had to laugh about that.
  • Yeah 2100 isn't a record PVP score. However it's possibly on record as the most money a person has spent to hit 2100.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Well now you're just being petty. We get it--you don't like X-Men.
  • vudu3 wrote:
    Well now you're just being petty. We get it--you don't like X-Men.

Lol - in this case I don't think the hate is reserved just for x-men icon_e_smile.gif
  • jozier wrote:
    Yeah 2100 isn't a record PVP score. However it's possibly on record as the most money a person has spent to hit 2100.

Well it's a record for us... I never specified it was a global record icon_e_wink.gif

I don't know why he had to post that... Now someone is going to have to get 2500 icon_lol.gif
  • Back during the golden age of shields, I think someone may have hit 3000 at one point. But that's the Steroid Era of MPQ, essentially - there's an asterisk next to all those records.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    What is this 'golden age of shields' you refer to? I started in January so I'm unaware if shields worked differently before then.
  • vudu3 wrote:
    What is this 'golden age of shields' you refer to? I started in January so I'm unaware if shields worked differently before then.
    For a short time after shields were first introduced, shielded people could still be queued up. So scores got pretty high. The final progression in SHIELD sim was reached in like one day, by many many people.
  • gobstopper wrote:
    vudu3 wrote:
    For a short time after shields were first introduced, shielded people could still be queued up. So scores got pretty high. The final progression in SHIELD sim was reached in like one day, by many many people.

people would shield up at 2500 points with tank teams. it was great.
  • It got so bad they moved the top progression prize up to 2400 points, and people were still blowing past it. I won my first ever PVP (the first Ares one) back then by getting over 1400 points, and I had a middling 2* roster at the time.
  • Back when shielded people are available to be queued it's like Kyipgate every day and it's also not just one person that magically can be seen while shielded. Sure having tank teams make the whole score even crazier but it's not like any team was going to slow people down back in the days of the Spiderman auto-win. Back then, there's no particular vulnerability for running a weak team on defense because people will be looking for the shielded guys who are always preferable to someone who isn't shielded regardless of the team strength difference because the shielded guy will never retaliate.
  • mischiefmaker
    Options
    There were several major differences between then and now:

1. You could be found and queued while shielded.
    2. Your defensive team was the one you played with last, not the one you won with last.
    3. There were no alliances and no seasons.
    4. No sharding -- brackets filled first-come first-serve.
    5. I think there was no skip tax, but I can't remember for sure.

All of which resulted in a pretty neat community vibe -- when you were done with your session it was common to retreat a tank team, shield, and then post to the forums letting people know there was a high-value target available, since letting other people climb wouldn't hurt you unless they were in your bracket, and this was rare since there were fewer people on the forums and no sharding.

Also, since it was easy to tell if someone was shielded (tank team v. non-tank team) and no skip tax, we would often skip non-shielded forum players, which meant that almost anyone could hit an arbitrarily high score using only one or two shields. Shield hopping as we know it now didn't even exist until the first Elite buy-in tournament, when walkyourpath and several others invented it.

The downside, of course, is that since anyone could score highly by leapfrogging shielded people, winning your bracket came down to who was more willing to grind for 3-4 hours around 11pm-4am.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's all been downhill from there, any good community vibes have been segregated into clicks now and all sense of a "greater community" has long but gone. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Really, it was alliances that killed the community
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Really, it was alliances that killed the community
    Indeed. Instead of community vs MPQ, now it's alliance vs alliance.