Too Many Secrets - Season V opener

Comments

• Its just plain stupid. They haven't properly gave out fury covers and expect us to enjoy this,hahaha. The 0.0001 percent that maxed him will enjoy it. They should of did what they have with everyone else, like hold a tourney where we can win his covers properly. Either way im glad season 5 is here, just wish they didnt suck fury balls so hard and just release him the correct way.

Been lurking the forums a lot these last couple weeks, and I've seemed to have noticed a pattern...

"D3 is so stupid, they should properly release Fury in PVE"
    [Hulk PVE]
    "So lame, only top 10 get covers. He should be more accessible"
    [ISO-8 Brotherhood with increased chance to draw Fury]
    "Bagman tokens? He should be introduced in PVP"
    [Too Many Secrets PVP]
    "Only whales are going to like this."

Could we just take a break on the complaining? Yes, it's not perfect, but maybe just try to relax and enjoy yourself? icon_e_wink.gif
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    It really is something how everything feels different with Fury, when there's no real difference.

Ms. Marvel and Deadpool covers weren't exactly floating around in abundance before their PvPs. You had one event, where you got a max of 4 covers, then you got a PvP with that character. Most of the whales bought these characters also, so they were using 13 compared to 4 then and gave themselves an edge, as they'll have similarly now.

However, most people had 1 or 0 covers for Marvel/Deadpool (or any release before that), and yet there's no pitchforks in those threads.
  • Bummed I won't get to play more than a token amount in this. Even a 2 day vacation can Bork several events in mpq. Not that my 2 fury covers would have gotten me anywhere, but being new n shiny he's fun to play with.

Bring on more **** tourneys, mine don't suck much worse in a 2+ featured event than anyone else I get saddled with. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Usually the PvP before featured character PvP would award that character's covers. This Fury tournament does not have a preceding PvP that awards Fury covers, hence the outcry. I guess that's what people are anticipating.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    However, most people had 1 or 0 covers for Marvel/Deadpool (or any release before that), and yet there's no pitchforks in those threads.

I bring my pitchfork to every thread. Considering his reward history, less than 0.1% of players have Fury so far (OK, it could be as high as 1% now that we have the minuscule chance to pull him from event Tokens.)

I understand your logic, and in PvP that is mostly true. Though none of us have seen what a boosted 4* character would look like in a featured PvP. All we do know is that in the PvE, even an unleveled Fury is Amazing!

In a PvP among many of the lower echelons, the extra boost a 2nd cover gives can often be the difference between a win and a loss. I can think of more than a few PvP events where my 2 or 3 cover character was the last one standing when the dust cleared. Sure that likely won't make a difference when facing Sentry or other AoE attacks that can still hit an unleveled featured character who normally hides behind the main line characters.

I'd also go as far as to say that the Boosted rate of Fury pulls with this event Token is pretty abysmal. Sure it's twice that of Xforce or Baglady, but in my 6 months of playing, I've only pulled 3 covers combined for those two.
  • Here we are all assumineing it is going to be a PvP, it could be a PvE.

Considering we have never had a 4* PvP.....

Just throwing my 2 cents into the ring.
  • People are overreacting. Fury is a slow character albeit powerful. The shield hopping will still happen with sentry/hood/daken/cmag/lthor + the featured character

I'd still rather use lthor yellow then green unless I actually had a maxed fury. Sentry is a ton faster.

This will feel like every other pvp with a newly released character where a handful of impatient people buy out the character but most people play with 2 on 2.

Hopefully he has good rewards (is one of the awards?) Otherwise most people won't give a shi+
  • dragma wrote:
    Here we are all assumineing it is going to be a PvP, it could be a PvE.

Considering we have never had a 4* PvP.....

Just throwing my 2 cents into the ring.

It's on the versus tab, not the story one, it has a "Season 5" banner on it, and I don't think they've ever had PVE's overlap, so it's probably safe to say it's a PVP.
  • I'm with dragma i'm not saying it's a PvE but i also think it's gonna be something different than a standard PvP with a buffed character. At least thats what i'm hoping we will see in an hour and 12 minutes
  • For the moment, all of this crazy talk about Fury being OMG I am going to dies is a moot point.

As I said, for the moment, and this will change (probably AFTER the event) because we all know D3 and patches on the weekend...
    "We are aware of an issue where opponent attacks are being used at their base level values. Furthermore, if you have a forced teammate on your team, their attacks will also be used at their base level."
    viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14355

So basically, even IF you are a WHALE and have 13 covers and a Maxed Fury... He is going to hit like a Panzy. Because as stated above FORCED TEAMMATE on your team...

So basically, although he may have lots of HP - he is not a threat. It is a 2 on 2 + lots of dead weight.

Can we stop the panic for the time being?

We can start the pitchfork droves when we realize the top reward is something like Rags, Loki or IM40.
  • HairyDave wrote:
    Hannybal wrote:
    Its just plain stupid. They haven't properly gave out fury covers and expect us to enjoy this,hahaha. The 0.0001 percent that maxed him will enjoy it. They should of did what they have with everyone else, like hold a tourney where we can win his covers properly. Either way im glad season 5 is here, just wish they didnt suck fury balls so hard and just release him the correct way.
    i second this. Kinda "unfair" for those without fury. For those how have and stay as 1 cover, its also like eating grass. Anyway, gonna be "loaner" fury + best 2 for me.
    How is that any different to the first PVP for any other character?

The new character is usually the prize of the prior PvP and a top 10 or 20% prize of a prior PvE. It's not much, but it is slightly better than loaner
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,487 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tonzil wrote:
    We can start the pitchfork droves when we realize the top reward is something like Rags, Loki or IM40.

Hey! I need red covers for my AP batter.... My IM40.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pun rewards. Fury at 1300. Psy red at 1100.
  • Lol. Look like I ll be shield hoping. icon_lol.gif
  • Seems incredibly short sighted to put Fury at 1300 for a quick boost in profit but what's bad for D3 financially is good for the players so I guess we shouldn't be complaining.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    Seems incredibly short sighted to put Fury at 1300 for a quick boost in profit but what's bad for D3 financially is good for the players so I guess we shouldn't be complaining.

I think they did it this way because the featured is usually at 1100. But since he's a 4*, they didn't want to make it that easy. So they still get to put in the featured, but made it at 4* level. Some were hoping for Fury at 1100, but this seems reasonable.
  • scottee wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Seems incredibly short sighted to put Fury at 1300 for a quick boost in profit but what's bad for D3 financially is good for the players so I guess we shouldn't be complaining.

I think they did it this way because the featured is usually at 1100. But since he's a 4*, they didn't want to make it that easy. So they still get to put in the featured, but made it at 4* level. Some were hoping for Fury at 1100, but this seems reasonable.

4* has always been at 1300 but putting Fury available at 1300 is roughly like selling him for somewhere around 300-500 HP for those who could've afforded him (people without that kind of HP to burn on shields would never have bought him to begin with). This either means they're willing to take a 80%+ discount to their long term profit, or that they had no idea what their long term profit plan is and will just take a quick buck instead. Either way, it's stupid. The only scenario that'd make sense is if they plan to make him available and then make 3 more 4*s to dilute his value, and even ignoring any ill will such a move may cause, I'm not convinced they can even meet that kind of schedule with the recent lack of character content. Yes I know designing a new character really isn't that hard, but I still don't think they can pull that off.

While the relationship between players and financial status of the company is almost always adversarial (what makes money for D3 is almost always bad for players and vice versa), there are enough game problems that seems to be a result of lack of money that I'm somewhat concerned with the game's sustainability. For example the base ability damage bug seems to be something that can only happen due to a lack of money (via lack of testing). Server exploding during certain times is likely related to this too.
  • I suspect I'd end up having to spend more than 2500 hp in shields to get that Fury, or at least close enough to to make little difference, so I'm going to treat this one the same as a Loki PVP and get to where I can and throw up a 3-hour at the end.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Phantron wrote:
    Most people aren't going to buy 10 Fury covers--or 10 covers for anyone for that matter. People will buy the last cover or two to complete their character. D3 will get more money in a reasonable time frame by letting people earn/win 10 or 11 Fury covers so they'll drop the HP to buy the last few.
  • vudu3 wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Most people aren't going to buy 10 Fury covers--or 10 covers for anyone for that matter. People will buy the last cover or two to complete their character. D3 will get more money in a reasonable time frame by letting people earn/win 10 or 11 Fury covers so they'll drop the HP to buy the last few.

The revenue breakdown from the past shows that an overwhelming portion of their revenue comes from a combination of ability upgrade + token purchases. Neither seems likely to be from HP earned in game on a general basis, given any 3* cover is 1250 HP and tokens are a even worse deal in terms of HP spent. That is, both are so expensive it's hard to see people just slowly accumulate HP and then buy either a 200 HP daily special or save up for a 3800 HP special 10 pack all from just playing the game. When people post about how their 10 pack token contained no Nick Fury tokens, I doubt that's because a guy happened to be saving HP for the last 2 months.

What makes sense to you (as in the player) financially rarely makes sense for the company's bottom line and vice versa. Normally as players we shouldn't have to care for free stuff whether it's due to the company's generosity or stupidity, but until they have paid mods to clean up spam instead of relying on volunteers, I'm inclined to think a lot of the game's problem could be solved if they do have a bit more money to work with so I'd like to see them not kill their long term outlook at least until I see paid mods on this board.