Hot Shot - Aug 12-14 - Season IV

Options

Comments

• Mine is at 4/4/4 right now and I plan to make him 5/3/5 when I get the chance.

I have better green users, but I find that pairing him with Daken can unleash havoc. I keep the red over the black because the red makes for a good nuke (3200+ damage) and it can be a pain in the **** to clear the 8 tiles affected by an inferno.
  • I'm built 535 currently, but that's just the way the covers have come for me. I've sold off 3-4 reds, and gotten exactly 8 total black and green. But I figured actually looking at the numbers would be good, so here is some back of the envelope maths:

For the purpose of this, we'll be living in Magical Christmas World, where you always get 8 attack tiles, and everything survives for 5 turns. You will wait until you have 10 green and 10 black AP before casting them, and you'll cast both at the same time.

166 Torch with 5 green covers, 3 Black and 10 of each AP:
    Green: 1350 + 1080 + 810 + 540 + 270 = 4050
    Black: (157*8) X 5 turns = 6280
    Grand total = 10330

166 Torch with 5 Black covers 3 Green and 10 of each AP:
    Green: 935 + 748 + 561 + 374 + 187 = 2805
    Black: (226*8) x 5 turns = 9040
    Grand total = 11845

166 Torch with 4 green, 4 black, and 10 AP of each:
    Green: 1145 + 916 + 687 + 458 + 229 = 3435
    Black: (191*8) x 5 turns = 7640
    Grand total = 11075

So on paper, it actually looks like the 535 build would be the worst, no? Except I think it's deceptive. Given how powerful flame jet can be, it may be a skill you fire off with only 6 or 7 green, knowing that the tile could just sit on the board and fire off anytime you make another green match. Given how nicely he pairs with Daken, the lower cost of flame jet means you'll likely be taking advantage of Daken strike tiles much earlier than you would with inferno's attack tiles.

The black while more potent in theory, does deplete your other colors which can be a bummer if you're planning on actually using those colors. On top of that, you're not guaranteed 8 attack tiles, and they are prone to being matched off, often more than one at a time.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I want to live in a Magical Christmas World. Unfortunately, I don't. So let's play with the assumptions a bit and see how it affects the numbers. icon_mrgreen.gif

Let's assume that you only get 6 attack tiles to begin with and 1 is matched after each of the first 3 turns. Everything else stated above stays the same.

166 Torch with 5 green covers, 3 Black and 10 of each AP:
    Green: 1350 + 1080 + 810 + 540 + 270 = 4050
    Black: (157) X 5 turns = 3140
    Grand total = 7190

166 Torch with 5 Black covers 3 Green and 10 of each AP:
    Green: 935 + 748 + 561 + 374 + 187 = 2805
    Black: (226) x 5 turns = 4520
    Grand total = 7325

166 Torch with 4 green, 4 black, and 10 AP of each:
    Green: 1145 + 916 + 687 + 458 + 229 = 3435
    Black: (191) x 5 turns = 3820
    Grand total = 7255

These numbers are so close I can honestly say who cares? We could try playing with the green numbers a bit by assuming that you make additional green matches throughout but that seems like a stretch because any assumptions you make will be pulled out of thin air. I think the scenario I laid out for black above is probably fairly close to a typical game.

I'm calling 5/4/4 the best build because it's the most versatile but I definitely won't fault anyone for running 5/5/3 or 5/3/5. 5/3/5 might be slightly better if you run Torch with a heavy blue/purple/yellow user.
  • So I'm having a tough time deciding who to pair Torch with for this event. Problem is all my heavy hitters - Patch, Punisher, Black Panther - conflict with him on important colors. And Torch himself is below level 90 unboosted.

My LDaken, unfortunately, lacks important covers and is low level, and same with CMags (who likely would use all the red for himself anyway)

The color conflict may not matter much on offense, but I expect to be hit often and hard on defense... Wonder if I should try ultrasquishy teamup of OBW + Hood for the lulz, though the latter is only level 109 and has a meager 3 blue.
  • His green and black are both pretty good, but there are way more good green powers than black powers so you should focus on his black. His black only loses to Rage of the Panther and there are some circumstances you can argue Inferno is better, while there are a whole mess of green abilities that are, or at least arguably, better than Flame Jet.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    kalirion wrote:
    So I'm having a tough time deciding who to pair Torch with for this event. Problem is all my heavy hitters - Patch, Punisher, Black Panther - conflict with him on important colors. And Torch himself is below level 90 unboosted.

My LDaken, unfortunately, lacks important covers and is low level, and same with CMags (who likely would use all the red for himself anyway)

The color conflict may not matter much on offense, but I expect to be hit often and hard on defense... Wonder if I should try ultrasquishy teamup of OBW + Hood for the lulz, though the latter is only level 109 and has a meager 3 blue.

If you run Patchneto you can use Patch's green, Torchs black and red and Cmags blue and purple. If you have Patch at 4 or more green you will probably want to go with BP and Pun. Use BP strike tiles and rage of the panther, Torches Red and Green, and OBW can steal green for you.

Depending on how many covers you have for torch your defensive team might be the loaner Torch, and Patch/BP. This combo will only be missing purple and Torch won't steal green from Patch on Defense.

If Hood is not stealing Green for Torch what's the point?
  • Starting to get lazy on the rewards posting I see.

Everyone just wants to jump the gun to make the forum for people to post in, but never actually post the goodies other than the base stuff that people already assume.
  • I really don't like 535 at all. Black is too good of a power on a seldom used color and green is the opposite. 553 is my favorite and really the only build I like for him
  • HT's black could also prevent Sentry's green.
  • wymtime wrote:
    kalirion wrote:
    So I'm having a tough time deciding who to pair Torch with for this event. Problem is all my heavy hitters - Patch, Punisher, Black Panther - conflict with him on important colors. And Torch himself is below level 90 unboosted.

If you run Patchneto you can use Patch's green, Torchs black and red and Cmags blue and purple. If you have Patch at 4 or more green you will probably want to go with BP and Pun. Use BP strike tiles and rage of the panther, Torches Red and Green, and OBW can steal green for you.

Depending on how many covers you have for torch your defensive team might be the loaner Torch, and Patch/BP. This combo will only be missing purple and Torch won't steal green from Patch on Defense.

If Hood is not stealing Green for Torch what's the point?

Patchneto is out of the question, but Patch + Punisher or Patch + BP definitely are possibilities - Patch is my only maxed 3* (5/3/5.) I didn't think of using the loaner Torch for defense, thanks! Though it'll be a shame considering mine has 5 red covers already.

Hood steals Green at 3 covers, 4th cover makes it easier to steal, and 5th cover adds Black and Yellow.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    cjsutt1 wrote:
    HT's black could also prevent Sentry's green.
    No, it won't. It lines up perfectly around the center of World Rupture.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    I really don't like 535 at all. Black is too good of a power on a seldom used color and green is the opposite. 553 is my favorite and really the only build I like for him
    Fair enough but I plan to use him with Daken and Panther fairly frequently so 5/3/5 is a way better option.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    I'm too indecisive (and I also couldn't quite get top 5 unshielded in TeX-MeX), so 5/4/4 HT here. oBW/Hood silliness is a go! Since HT and his pitiful hitpoints are boosted, he has a non-zero chance of screwing enemy teams up icon_twisted.gif
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    locked wrote:
    I'm too indecisive (and I also couldn't quite get top 5 unshielded in TeX-MeX), so 5/4/4 HT here. oBW/Hood silliness is a go! Since HT and his pitiful hitpoints are boosted, he has a non-zero chance of screwing enemy teams up icon_twisted.gif
    <.< I almost passed you in Tex-Mex but got hit right before the end. So very close but it wouldn't have changed the placement.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    <.< I almost passed you in Tex-Mex but got hit right before the end. So very close but it wouldn't have changed the placement.
    Did I hit you? I try to avoid forumites that are more or less active. Sorry if I did!
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    I can see Hulk being a bit of problem here - it's alright if you've got a nuke or two lined up before you try getting rid of him but Torch pumps out so much damage he triggers Anger a lot. And then bad things happen icon_e_surprised.gif
  • I'm trying to get my Falcon levelled up to play along with Daken/Torch. No overlapping color actives and plenty of targets for Falcon's yellow, but I worry it may be a bit too squishy. (Torch and Falcon will be 120ish vs 166 Daken).
  • y2fitzy
    y2fitzy Posts: 255 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Worked my way up to 9th in my bracket, fallen to 50th since as have only found a handful of people I stand the slightest chance against.

Gonna be a long day and a bit!
  • So far, the standard "patchneto&3rd" method works flawlessly. Not like I have much room for experimentation, with my Falcon/Hulk/etc at level 70... icon_e_smile.gif
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    HairyDave wrote:
    I can see Hulk being a bit of problem here - it's alright if you've got a nuke or two lined up before you try getting rid of him but Torch pumps out so much damage he triggers Anger a lot. And then bad things happen icon_e_surprised.gif

On the flipside, the one time that you use Fireball on a full-health Hulk because you want to trigger Anger to get a little more green on the board, you will get a massive cascade that downs him.