Top Gun - Buy-In Tournament

Options

Comments

• OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Yep, not worth the 250 ISO I'll get out of this.
    Edit: Brackets look to be 50 people.
  • Tempted by this, since Falcon is my highest level 3* at 120, but these events are terrible for 2-3* transitioners. Pass.
  • Mororo rewards, no thanks. Not even all 3 covers icon_rolleyes.gif
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    First post updated. Think I'll give this a go, my Storm is only 1/2/2.
  • Might change my mind later, but the rewards don't look good enough for me to gamble on this one.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    Options
    On second thought, I do place well in these and my Storm is 1/2/2. I need to get to 5/4/4 somehow.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Probably more cost effective to just buy storm covers.
  • Unknown
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Why not?

Not like I'm having much fun with Category 5 to begin with and it gives me a chance to level Falcon and LazyDaken.

EDIT - My entry has gone well so far. Currently #4 with 302 points.

I've taken a few hits, but this includes a few of the top players who will make for juicy retaliations.
  • Deimos12 wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Deimos12 wrote:
    Get ready to see coveted rewards (Thor, Daken, Sentry, Deadpool) only available in "Buy In" tournaments while the "free" season related PVPs start handing out Spiderman, Rags and Loki like candy. Enjoy everyone icon_rolleyes.gif

That might not bug me, in the sense that I wouldn't bother with the buy-in tournaments at all and could just look at the regular ones as ISO and Token farms. Plus, with the crazy people focusing on the buy-ins, the other ones might be a little more reasonable.

Makes it pretty difficult to finish off any of those "coveted" characters for people who have not done already since the token drop rates are atrocious.

True, but I'm talking about me personally. Deadpool is the only one of those I need any covers for.
  • Step one: Run a tourney offering deadpool rewards.
    Step two: Offer a buy event for a chance at covers to help you level the featured character to help you get more deadpool.
    Step three: profit

I have to give it to them, this is clever. And I don't hate the blatant cash grab aspect of it because you can A. Opt out, and B. actually get something useful out of it (well 4% of entrants will) And they encourage people to put resources into falcon, and storm, AND then deadpool presumably
  • Professa D
    Professa D Posts: 111
    Options
    Would normally pass but having a 4/4/2 MoStorm + the small bracket size is just too tempting... icon_cool.gif
  • This is much better than the random 3*. If the token is someone valuable then it will obviously work. If it's someone relatively weak then you'd hope most people have better things to do with their time so you'd have a better chance of winning too at the cost of 150 HP. Of course not every gamble is going to payoff, but at least you can make an educated guess on how competitive the field is likely to be.
  • Since my Lousy Storm is 5/3/3, and I want to go 5/3/5, and there are no black covers offered, there is literally nothing I can get out of this worth 150 HP. Not that I was planning on joining it anyway, but this makes an easy decision even easier.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Here is the real rewards for the buy in.

Buy-in Cost: 150 Hero Points plus 75-150 HP for shield
    Length: 12 Hours

Event Rewards:
    1st Place: 3000 ISO, 250HP so you are shield hopping becuase you don't know any better
    2nd Place: 2000 ISO, 100HP You entered before you saw the rewards so you want to make it worth wild
    Top 5: 1750 ISO, 50HP you didn't actually want a 3* storm did you?
    Top 10: 1500 ISO, 50HP You mean the heroic token is not a good buy if I want a 3* cover?
    Top 20: 1000 ISO, I refuse to shield for 3* storm covers
    Top 35: 750 ISO, I spent 150 HP and all I got was lousy ISO
    Top 52: 500 ISO I entered before I knew what the rewards were. Once I found out I realized I had enough HP to not care

Progression Awards:
    25 Points: 140 ISO so what if you earn more from a starndard battle you paid 150 HP for this!!
    50 Points: Standard Token are feeling the love yet?
    100 Points: 250 ISO just 150k more ISO to really level up your 3* character
    250 Points: Standard Token isn't this buy in way more fun then Category 5 PVP with better rewards?
    500 Points: 500 ISO the progression rewards stop hear becuase the Dev's don't believe anyone is really going to play this when Deadpool is available in Category 5
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Deimos12 wrote:
    Get ready to see coveted rewards (Thor, Daken, Sentry, Deadpool) only available in "Buy In" tournaments while the "free" season related PVPs start handing out Spiderman, Rags and Loki like candy. Enjoy everyone icon_rolleyes.gif

That might not bug me, in the sense that I wouldn't bother with the buy-in tournaments at all and could just look at the regular ones as ISO and Token farms. Plus, with the crazy people focusing on the buy-ins, the other ones might be a little more reasonable.
    Also, sharding
  • OnesOwnGrief
    Options
    2nd Place: 2000 ISO, 100HP You entered before you saw the rewards so you want to make it worth wild
    Worthwhile...
  • Rusalka
    Rusalka Posts: 155
    Options
    Meh. I might've tried it for better rewards, since my Falcon is pretty well-covered at 4/4/3, and I've had good luck running him with Patch and Psylocke in the past. But I don't care enough about Lazy Storm to spend the HP.
  • Bad timing for me, I don't have a good Falcon, and you need to finish top 2 which basically means getting lucky with whether you're the 50th person to join the bracket (with 1 and 2 already hundreds of points ahead) or the first person in a new bracket with every chance to climb the fastest. No thanks. I didn't mind the last Elite (even if I did end up in 3rd) but that was on a weekend in Australia and I could have a real crack at it, plus it didn't require a specific character.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    For black Mostorm covers (mine's 3/5/2) I might have had a crack. I'll pass.
  • It's interesting to see this as a prototype for future buy-in events

Boost a squishy support character during a condensed timeframe and see how many health packs are required for sustained play. Cost of shields (30 minutes/50 Hero Pts, 1hr/100, 2hrs/200) are conducive to shield hopping but need to be factored in to determine if the reward covers are worth the effort

I have a feeling Punisher might be the featured player in the next buy-in event, as he's compatible with many characters and when he's boosted he can cause a lot of damage with low ap skills; requiring more health packs/shields in the condensed timeframe. It should also allow the devs to collect metrics on health packs/shield sales or whether players buy-in at all.