Can we talk about the misogyny ?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    hoo boy
    Let's tone down the 1 on 1 bickering a little bit, it'd be a shame to lock this thread since it could then no longer continually get bumped onto the front page of discussion to greet people
  • Puritas: I'm gonna go and delete this post because I'm guessing you didn't have a chance to read what I just said icon_e_smile.gif
  • Unknown
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    Puritas: I'm gonna go and delete this post because I'm guessing you didn't have a chance to read what I just said icon_e_smile.gif
    Yeah. I'm done. Too bad though. It was a pretty good rant. icon_e_biggrin.gif

Edit: Well, I was almost done. But I wasn't. But now I am. Really this time. I promise. icon_redface.gif
  • eris-wtga wrote:
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    Go ahead and find for me where I ever said the line can't be changed.
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    Here's the catch, the sexist taunt has to stay and the scene can't be fundamentally altered....
    Okay, having calmed down a little bit I'm going to take one last stab at this, because believe it or not before I got extremely frustrated with your bullheadedness I was actually trying to help you see something. You claimed I said the line in question couldn't be changed and this is the proof you came back with that I had. Now here's a larger look at the passage that the quote you pulled came from:
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    So, humor me here. I tried to ask before, I'll try again. What needs to be changed about the scene to get your take away closer to my take away? To make it empowering and leave a positive image on the reader rather than reinforcing a sexist stereotype?

Here's the catch, the sexist taunt has to stay and the scene can't be fundamentally altered: our imaginary ruthless female agent for whom the dialog and underlying motivation is completely in character uses the sexist taunt against the male goons to throw them off their game and then defeats them in combat.
    Do you see how the line you quoted is part of a hypothetical question that I was posing? It wasn't meant to be taken generally, as you implied that it was, and this isn't the only time you've made this kind of error. Now either you're doing it intentionally for the sake of winning the argument, which would be operating in extremely bad faith, or you have very serious problems with your reading comprehension. I'm going to choose to believe the latter, because otherwise you would basically just be a troll, which I don't think is the case.

So here's my advice, and you're free to take it or leave it. If you really want to improve yourself and your understanding of serious issues like this one, you need to get your head out of the Psych books and take yourself to the English department. Any respectable one will have a placement test you can take and they'll likely tell you the same thing that I am, that you need to work on your basic reading comprehension and writing composition. If you aspire to use that degree you have for more than working in retail, improving your language skills would help tremendously.

Now I am truly done here, and I will mercifully let this topic die. It has been derailed completely from any semblance of its original intent and I'm tried of arguing about arguing. I apologize to anyone I may have offended or inconvenienced along the way, including but not limited to men and women of all ages, races and creeds, small children, pets, house plants, and any inanimate objects that may have snuck a peek over someone's shoulder along the way. I hope everyone has a wonderful day. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • .... My sentient cactus just took issue with it. icon_lol.gif

Actually I can very well see Widow use a sexist taunt against an opponent, and then taunt some more after wiping the floor with him.
  • Thugpatrol wrote:
    eris-wtga wrote:
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    Go ahead and find for me where I ever said the line can't be changed.
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    Here's the catch, the sexist taunt has to stay and the scene can't be fundamentally altered....
    Okay, having calmed down a little bit I'm going to take one last stab at this, because believe it or not before I got extremely frustrated with your bullheadedness I was actually trying to help you see something. You claimed I said the line in question couldn't be changed and this is the proof you came back with that I had. Now here's a larger look at the passage that the quote you pulled came from:
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    So, humor me here. I tried to ask before, I'll try again. What needs to be changed about the scene to get your take away closer to my take away? To make it empowering and leave a positive image on the reader rather than reinforcing a sexist stereotype?

Here's the catch, the sexist taunt has to stay and the scene can't be fundamentally altered: our imaginary ruthless female agent for whom the dialog and underlying motivation is completely in character uses the sexist taunt against the male goons to throw them off their game and then defeats them in combat.
    Do you see how the line you quoted is part of a hypothetical question that I was posing? It wasn't meant to be taken generally, as you implied that it was, and this isn't the only time you've made this kind of error. Now either you're doing it intentionally for the sake of winning the argument, which would be operating in extremely bad faith, or you have very serious problems with your reading comprehension. I'm going to choose to believe the latter, because otherwise you would basically just be a troll, which I don't think is the case.

So here's my advice, and you're free to take it or leave it. If you really want to improve yourself and your understanding of serious issues like this one, you need to get your head out of the Psych books and take yourself to the English department. Any respectable one will have a placement test you can take and they'll likely tell you the same thing that I am, that you need to work on your basic reading comprehension and writing composition. If you aspire to use that degree you have for more than working in retail, improving your language skills would help tremendously.

Now I am truly done here, and I will mercifully let this topic die. It has been derailed completely from any semblance of its original intent and I'm tried of arguing about arguing. I apologize to anyone I may have offended or inconvenienced along the way, including but not limited to men and women of all ages, races and creeds, small children, pets, house plants, and any inanimate objects that may have snuck a peek over someone's shoulder along the way. I hope everyone has a wonderful day. icon_e_biggrin.gif

I'm not going to get into the topic again, but my reading comprehension is just fine (trust me I've had the tests) but I do have a problem with language (I'm dislexic) my bullheadedness is not a function of being a troll but that of an understand that I don't always get my point across as I'd like too, so I try and restate. And I am stubborn & like to argue (you should hear some of the ones I've had with my dad) Sorry if you took that any other way, and I don't think you are always as clear as you think you are.
  • Well, nobody should be surprised that you like to argue when your user name is Eris. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • LevitateMe wrote:
    Is it just me or is it slightly weird and wrong that a tough female like Black Widow would insult people by calling them girls? If anything, I'd expect her to be a bit more empowering of women than denigrating her sex like that.

Maybe she has a sense of humor that allows her to make that comment without getting weighed down with a sense of forever having to be politically correct. That's my guess.