God Of Lies - July 7-9 - Season III

Options
The lie is that you want to play with Loki.

Rewards? Why they're right here in my briefcase.
gnBYoZx.jpg

Oh my, look at the time. Here's your prizes.

Single Player Rewards

1. All rewards from the previous rank + XF Yellow
2-5. 5000 ISO, 100 HP, BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRDDDDDMAAAAAAAAN. Blue, Purpz, Yellow
6-10. 2000 ISO, 100 HP, Purple, Yellow
11-25. 1000 ISO, 50 HP, P&Y
26-50. 1000 ISO, 50 HP, Yellow
51-100. 500 ISO, 25 HP, Yellow
101-200. 500 ISO, El Capitán Rojo
201-300. 250 ISO, Rojo Tambien
301-400. 2x Standard Token, 140 ISO
401-500. 70 ISO

Progression Rewards:

25. Standard Token
50. 100 ISO
100. +3 All Boosts
200. 250 ISO
300. Schroedinger's Token - It's both a bagman, and not a bagman, until you open it.
400. 25 HP
500. Moonsntone, Black
600. 25 HP
700. 1000 ISO
800. 50 HP
900. Recruit Token - Nah, just kidding. It's a bagman.
1000. 1000 ISO
1100. Loki, Black
1200. 1000 ISO
1300. Baglady, Green

Alliance rewards:

1-2. 5000 ISO, 250 HP, Bluebird
3-10. 5000 ISO, 100 HP, Bluebird
11-25. 3000 ISO, 100 HP, Bluebird
25-50. 2000 ISO, 100 HP, Bluebird
51-100. 1000 ISO, 50 HP, Bluebird
101-250. 1000 ISO, 50 HP
251-500. 500 ISO, 25 HP
501-1000. 500 ISO
1001-10000. 250 ISO

Also... I like that Loki is giving away Falcon rewards... you know, the one character whose set of defense tiles he's not actually able to steal correctly.

Comments

• ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    Options
    please super cap please super cap please super cap please super cap please super cap please super cap please super cap please super cap please super cap please super cap please super cap
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    please super cap please super cap please super cap please super cap please super cap please super cap please super cap please super cap please super cap please super cap please super cap
    I could do with a few more Steve covers.

I know at one point they were handed out like they were going out of style but I wasn't in an alliance at the time so I got barely any of them. Mine's still only got 2 yellow and 2 red icon_e_sad.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    For some reason, I'm getting the feeling that GSBW is going to be the rewards for this one...but would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE some Stevie covers.
  • Unknown
    Options
    muz1kman wrote:
    For some reason, I'm getting the feeling that GSBW is going to be the rewards for this one...but would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE some Stevie covers.

Since we just had a GSBW tournament a week ago, I doubt it.
    This season at least they seem to have been better about doing doubles of the same tournament.
  • MasterBoRaiCho
    MasterBoRaiCho Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Steve would be great (make red the easy one to get!), but why do I have this sick feeling it's gonna be Rags?
  • Nighthawk81
    Nighthawk81 Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Steve would be great (make red the easy one to get!), but why do I have this sick feeling it's gonna be Rags?

I just had the same thought before I saw your post. Uggh. To top that off, a rags event will probably have good rewards so that people won't be able to take a break.
  • MasterBoRaiCho
    MasterBoRaiCho Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Jdberia wrote:

I just had the same thought before I saw your post. Uggh. To top that off, a rags event will probably have good rewards so that people won't be able to take a break.

Hammer Brothers Event - use Rags, win LazyThor. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    j12601 wrote:

This season at least they seem to have been better about doing doubles of the same tournament.

I'll second this comment. We won't be seeing doubles of any tournament any longer for two reasons:

1) There are more than enough 3***s to cycle around without repeating Versus events.

2) More importantly (from the devs' perspective), the potential for 4 covers from a PvE/PvP event means that with only 3 events + a lucky token pull OR an 1100 in a PvP OR reaching the last progression reward in a featured PvE, means that a F2P could create a full 13-covered character from their introductory events. The trend as of late, at least since the start of Season 3, is to run characters with an introductory PvE, their own PvP once, and then move onto the next character. Torch and Mstorm immediately come to mind as representative examples. Intentionally limiting initial character growth appears to be intentional to encourage those who win 8-10 covers to purchase the remainder of their covers to complete a powerful character (LDaken, anyone?) as a monetization maneuver.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lyrian wrote:
    j12601 wrote:

I'll second this comment. We won't be seeing doubles of any tournament any longer for two reasons:

1) There are more than enough 3***s to cycle around without repeating Versus events.

2) More importantly (from the devs' perspective), the potential for 4 covers from a PvE/PvP event means that with only 3 events + a lucky token pull OR an 1100 in a PvP OR reaching the last progression reward in a featured PvE, means that a F2P could create a full 13-covered character from their introductory events. The trend as of late, at least since the start of Season 3, is to run characters with an introductory PvE, their own PvP once, and then move onto the next character. Torch and Mstorm immediately come to mind as representative examples. Intentionally limiting initial character growth appears to be intentional to encourage those who win 8-10 covers to purchase the remainder of their covers to complete a powerful character (LDaken, anyone?) as a monetization maneuver.

I'm going to disagree with you for the reason that running double tournaments gives players who are transitioning from 2* to 3* a better chance to move a single character to that useable point.

Don't forget, MOST players who are transitioning are earning only 1 cover out of 3, (2 if they are in one of the top 100 alliances.)

I hope not. Considering Red has been the lower reward more times than either Yellow or Blue combined, mine is sitting around at 3 Yellow, 5 Red, & 0 Blue. Personally Blue as the low reward would give me a chance to finally use Steve, even if it is still 4 more covers from being ready for Prime Time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    I'm going to disagree with you for the reason that running double tournaments gives players who are transitioning from 2* to 3* a better chance to move a single character to that useable point.

I agree with your perspective, but that doesn't exactly counter the argument I was presenting.

Once upon a time, that was the correct perspective to present. Today, the focus of the game has clearly shifted away from the one you are presenting. Instead, the trend is to try to push as many 3*** and 4**** characters onto players as fast as possible to encourage roster slot sales, as it has been stated multiple times by the devs that roster slot sales are one of the largest revenue producers for the game.

Further, if a player has enough usable 3*** characters to become a serious threat in the game, then those players become self-sustaining by placing in the top 5 or 10 in every single event. This becomes a problem, as players who consistently perform this well have little reason to purchase anything at all, except for shields in Versus events. With the move to 4 covers per event, these players can build an all-but-maxed character in only 3 events instead of the traditional 4. If the old routine of introductory PvE + 2 featured PvPs is continued, then these players can easily build a cover-maxed character of any new character rather quickly and for free. The change to single featured Versus events for new characters is likely implemented to stall this eventually from occurring in the hopes that the self-sustaining player will spend HP on finishing the character whose covers are being intentionally withheld.

This also has the unfortunate side effect of impacting developing players as well. As you mention, the intent with the change is to make 3***s useable with fewer covers. Traditionally, the magic number is 10 covers for a usable 3*** in any serious context. With the change, that number is reduced somewhat. The question here is then "With a 3*** character with fewer covers being viable, will this cause more players to financially invest in them to make them stronger instead of just going "Meh" and deferring back to their 2** roster?" The devs hope the answer is "Yes" to this question.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Also, the way it's set up now top players in top alliances can get a character roughly covered in the first couple of things they're in.
    She-Hulk as an example. Without any token luck at all, no purchasing of covers, and just from available rewards there are players with her at 5/2/3.
    1 event: 2/1/1 - Heroic gave out 1/1/1 if you finished well in single player. Plus a blue from alliance rewards.
    2 events: 2/1/2 - Red progression reward for heroic she was featured in.
    3 events: 4/2/3 - Again 1/1/1 for single player, and another blue from alliance
    4 events: 5/2/3 - Her featured pvp gives out a blue cover at 1100.

I'm currently 3/2/3, will be 4/2/3 later tonight. I had not yet joined Django when the heroic that awarded her was going on, so I only got individual placement rewards since my alliance was about 20 spots out, otherwise I'd be 5/2/3 as well.

Because of this amount of covers being put out there, I doubt we'll see She-Hulk rewards for a while. I wouldn't mind being wrong though.

From a dev perspective even this might be too much for top players to get, but they may also be banking on top players being willing to shell out for three more covers to complete her. Finish a brand new character in under two weeks only having to drop a ton of HP? Sounds feasible. This is a slight tweak to the way it was when say... Lazyshield was given out. Alliances were newer then, and if you were in a 20-man you were just about guaranteed to get alliance prizes. My first alliance, we were rolling in Steve covers. I remember in chat a few of us joking about whether we should start a second one. He was my first fully covered 3*, and that was within a 2 week span. I ended up selling enough extra covers to start another one that would have been at least 1/1/1 (probably at least 3/1/1). While that's good for us, it might be bad for d3. None of us had any incentive to spend HP for buying covers as they were given out in such abundance.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I've given up on them doing good rewards this season. It's totally going to be Ragnarok.

Eh, at least that means I'll be able to finally get that missing 5th red Rags cover.

Might even consider maxing him out for that Rags-LazyThor-GSBW team up.
  • Pwuz_
    Options
    But the top members of the top alliances, that only makes up a fraction (roughly .01%) of players.

You are talking about the cons of less than 1% of players becoming bored and not spending money on leveling verses the cons of keeping those players who are placing in the top 6-100 (roughly 19%) who can get only 1 or 2 covers from the event playing and encouraging them to pay since they are less likely to reach those progression rewards as well.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm not saying you're wrong, only that this is how it seems to have been playing out during season 3. During 1 and 2 we saw 2x a number of the pvps.
    There hasn't been a repeat yet within season 3 that I'm aware of, and I really don't think there will be. There certainly are enough 3* characters that they don't need to repeat any inside of a season.

Personally I would think it is within the best interest of the devs to make it so the average player can get to 1/1/1 on a character through a couple of events, in order to incentivize them into buying either roster slots for those new (or new to them) characters, or buying covers for them. Now part of the problem as I see it is that covers have not really been rotated much lately. Back to Jenny Walters, blue has been the top prize, and alliance prize each time she was awarded. That excludes a significant portion of the base from being able to use their hard earned cash to upgrade those skills.

But then again, we don't have access to all of the devs fancy metrics. Perhaps they have data that shows if they make one color of a cover nearly impossible to get, they make more money by selling cover packs as people try and get that elusive color than they would make in people directly upgrading a 1/1/1 character that they have won through rewards.

It all ultimately boils down to money. If they feel they'll make more money by running 2 of the same pvp within a few weeks, they'll do it. If they feel they'll do better by having individuals characters show up less often, but having a wider variety of characters show up (DD, CMags tournaments for example, which didn't happen once in season 1 or 2), then that's what they'll do. If they're really earning more money on roster slots by rotating through all of the characters at the 3* level, we can expect that we will see someone as a reward for Loki who has not been featured in a pvp during this season.
  • Pwuz_
    Options
    Remember when they did more than just featured characters PvP events that gave the featured character for the next PvP?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    Remember when they did more than just featured characters PvP events that gave the featured character for the next PvP?

I've been playing long enough that I remember when PVP wasn't a tedious, frustrating, Kafkaesque slog. But that was a looooooong time ago.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    Falcon is cool with me.
  • Unknown
    Options
    HairyDave wrote:
    Falcon is cool with me.

Yep. Just need one blue to fix my 5/4/4 build so its ez mode now.
  • Abralicious
    Abralicious Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Options
    Yessssss! I love me some Falcon!
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Pwuz_ wrote:

I've been playing long enough that I remember when PVP wasn't a tedious, frustrating, Kafkaesque slog. But that was a looooooong time ago.
    When was that? If anything, it was more of a slog before shields. At least there's a worthwhile ISO payout now