Human Torch (Johnny Storm) - 2*

Comments

• yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    While I am still waiting for my first random drop from a match, I am seeing a few maxed out ones already.

I think the vibe from this thread is 5/5/3 but I am seeing a lot of 5/3/5's. What do people think?
  • yogi_ wrote:
    While I am still waiting for my first random drop from a match, I am seeing a few maxed out ones already.

I think the vibe from this thread is 5/5/3 but I am seeing a lot of 5/3/5's. What do people think?
    4/4/5 and levelled him only to the limit, when Daken may tank black for him.
  • yogi_ wrote:

I'm going 5/5/3 because there is already a lot of good green at the 2* level and he has the only good black skill. Admittedly, it may be ages before I've leveled him up enough for him to be useful.
  • Does it make sense for me to keep him in my roster?

I have OBW,Storm,Ares,Wolverine,Thor max covered and levelled. I also have a MNMags with all covers but not levelled at all (65k Iso, eh?).
    Torch would be the 4th RG user. My best covered 3 Star is a 9 Cover Patch so I am probably stuck in ** Land for a while.

Should I collect Torch covers? How about levelling MNMags? I have a 8 Cover cMags already so I don't know how useful that is. It's mainly about Roster slots at this point.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    PPPlaya wrote:
    Does it make sense for me to keep him in my roster?

I have OBW,Storm,Ares,Wolverine,Thor max covered and levelled. I also have a MNMags with all covers but not levelled at all (65k Iso, eh?).
    Torch would be the 4th RG user. My best covered 3 Star is a 9 Cover Patch so I am probably stuck in ** Land for a while.

Should I collect Torch covers? How about levelling MNMags? I have a 8 Cover cMags already so I don't know how useful that is. It's mainly about Roster slots at this point.

2* land is an interesting place because even though there are 3 RG users (thor/ares/wolvie), only two of them are top tier (ares/thor), and those two have extremely mediocre red abilities. Torch gives you a pretty good red ability, and the only 2* black ability worth playing. This is why 5/5/3 is a no brainer for 2* torch, and he should be included in your team. Thor + ares / torch / obw should be the best 2* team in the game right now, and once daken gets upgraded to 3 powers, daken/obw/torch should be the best offensive team in the game (with the previous team being the best defensive). Id say the character is a super solid investment.
  • Good advice and timely since he is boosted in the Hulk event.
  • They've been giving out his cover like hotcakes in the recent events.

His Green is useless on defense due to stupid AI. Comparing and contrasting with 2*Thor's Green at max level and 14 AP:

Thor's call does 4005 dmg max
    Johnny Storm's
    1197 turn 1
    1064 turn 2
    931 turn 3
    798 turn 4
    => 3990 dmg the first 4 turns.

I'm wondering if he would be good with Thor, with Thor tanking and powering Johnny's Green. Oddly, a 5/5/3 Thor might work best with a 3/5/5 Torch, both non-standard builds.
  • Personally I am running 5/3/5.

Granted his Green isn't better than Ares, It could be tied with Thor depending on how you value speed/sustained damage but I still think its better than his black. I just really dislike that it only converts basic tiles while depleting his off color AP. While 2* are seriously devoid of good black powers, I don't think the flaws in his make up for the speed and sustained damage his green can offer.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Human Torch

5 in red the rest doesn't matter, honestly it doesn't. There are too many situations in which 5/3/5 is better or 5/5/3 is better or 5/4/4 is better.
  • I'm still in 2* land and I just got my Torch to 5/4/3 and I am wondering where does he fit on an all-2* roster? OBW + Daken + Torch looks fearsome on paper, but at max level Torch will be tanking Red and Green, OBW will be on Purple and Blue, Daken Black and no one on Yellow. You can make Daken tank Purple for OBW but that defeats the purpose of running this team in my opinion. On offence you are going to get hurt a ton because of the awkward tanking and on defence the AI is awful at using a ton of the skills, triggering Aggressive Recon and Anti-Gravity too early and using Flame Jet and Chemical Reaction wrong. Not the mention that all 3 characters have low HP.

Ares + Torch + OBW seems better but if I am going Ares,OBW + 1 I'd rather have Daken for the strike tile interaction and to tank Black in case you need for a sustainable character to tank an AI ability.

When it comes to Season events, it looks pretty grim too. Torch and Daken have some synergy with Flame Jet/Inferno and strike tiles and Daken can feed some Green to Torch, but Ares + OBW, Daken + OBW, Wolvie + Daken are much superior pairs. Sure if one of the partners gets downed and you're out of health packs you can sub in Torch, but is that really worth an extra roster slot?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    gazgaz wrote:
    I'm still in 2* land and I just got my Torch to 5/4/3 and I am wondering where does he fit on an all-2* roster? OBW + Daken + Torch looks fearsome on paper, but at max level Torch will be tanking Red and Green, OBW will be on Purple and Blue, Daken Black and no one on Yellow. You can make Daken tank Purple for OBW but that defeats the purpose of running this team in my opinion. On offence you are going to get hurt a ton because of the awkward tanking and on defence the AI is awful at using a ton of the skills, triggering Aggressive Recon and Anti-Gravity too early and using Flame Jet and Chemical Reaction wrong. Not the mention that all 3 characters have low HP.

Ares + Torch + OBW seems better but if I am going Ares,OBW + 1 I'd rather have Daken for the strike tile interaction and to tank Black in case you need for a sustainable character to tank an AI ability.

When it comes to Season events, it looks pretty grim too. Torch and Daken have some synergy with Flame Jet/Inferno and strike tiles and Daken can feed some Green to Torch, but Ares + OBW, Daken + OBW, Wolvie + Daken are much superior pairs. Sure if one of the partners gets downed and you're out of health packs you can sub in Torch, but is that really worth an extra roster slot?

He's a black outlet with arguably the best red in 2* land (Wolverine and he are neck and neck). That's where he fits. He's your secondary damage dealer behind Thor/Ares.

Ares-Torch-Daken, Thor-OBW-Torch, they're all viable trios. Overall he's a B-team option that you sub in when people are healing up, or when you just want a change of pace.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    gazgaz wrote:
    I'm still in 2* land and I just got my Torch to 5/4/3 and I am wondering where does he fit on an all-2* roster? OBW + Daken + Torch looks fearsome on paper, but at max level Torch will be tanking Red and Green, OBW will be on Purple and Blue, Daken Black and no one on Yellow. You can make Daken tank Purple for OBW but that defeats the purpose of running this team in my opinion. On offence you are going to get hurt a ton because of the awkward tanking and on defence the AI is awful at using a ton of the skills, triggering Aggressive Recon and Anti-Gravity too early and using Flame Jet and Chemical Reaction wrong. Not the mention that all 3 characters have low HP.

Daken and Torch are really good friends, not so much since Daken doesn't tank green, but he does tank black now. I would maybe run Daken/Torch/Ares. Ares will tank green, Daken Black, so HT only exposed on red, or you can run him with Thor and only expose him on green. Either way, Ares gets scary at low health because of Rampage, so you can use him to gather green. OBW doesn't really work well with Torchling because he tanks black and not her, thus the one advantage she could help him with she can't do, which would be steal black.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Daken and Torch are really good friends, not so much since Daken doesn't tank green, but he does tank black now. I would maybe run Daken/Torch/Ares. Ares will tank green, Daken Black, so HT only exposed on red, or you can run him with Thor and only expose him on green. Either way, Ares gets scary at low health because of Rampage, so you can use him to gather green. OBW doesn't really work well with Torchling because he tanks black and not her, thus the one advantage she could help him with she can't do, which would be steal black.
    Actually Torch isn't exposed at all with Thor in position, they match color strength for red and green.
  • Thor and Torch are pretty bad together though - Inferno does not play well with high-costing skills like Thor's yellow and green, while Thor's yellow board-shakeup has a chance to destroy the attack tiles generated by Inferno.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    gazgaz wrote:
    Thor and Torch are pretty bad together though - Inferno does not play well with high-costing skills like Thor's yellow and green, while Thor's yellow board-shakeup has a chance to destroy the attack tiles generated by Inferno.
    They don't synergize at all together, but since Torch black is the only real black dps active in 2* land and Torch red > Thor red, he's still a good addition. Also, once Thor yellow hits, it's pretty much game over. I usually don't worry about Inferno when it gets to that point.

The Thor/Torch/Daken lineup is not about speed or synergy, but sustainability and diverse color coverage (and thus, good for climbing and pushing).
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    His red is also a good passive counter to Daken and Wolvie - anything that can clean up strike tiles is welcome.
  • Him, Daken and new 2* Ms. Marvel should make a good team. Is the best build 3 green and 5 others?
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    KevinMark wrote:
    Him, Daken and new 2* Ms. Marvel should make a good team. Is the best build 3 green and 5 others?

I think max black is better vs max green even with the downsides on black. since you can't place flame jet yourself its possible to have it get placed in a bad spot, get matched away and there goes your damage investment while black will make 6-8 (depending if special/TU tiles are in the way) annoying attack tiles. green is good enough just to have linger around to let you double dip on strike tiles as long as you have at least 1 green.
  • I think I'll go with 5/4/4.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    KevinMark wrote:
    Him, Daken and new 2* Ms. Marvel should make a good team. Is the best build 3 green and 5 others?

Why are we considering playing Ms. Marvel with Torch when both characters are red / black? Seems like theres too much overlap between the two.