*** The Punisher (Dark Reign) ***

Comments

• The level shift has no impact on how good Retribution is assuming you're already using 3*s to fight other 3*s. All damage is scaled equally so whatever sequence of moves that used to take someone down to 40% will still work, not counting the fact that ability damage is not increased at every level so you might have be off by a few hundred HP.

As long as the most powerful characters in PvP are also the guys with the most HP, maxing out Retribution is pretty much a no brainer.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    The level shift has no impact on how good Retribution is assuming you're already using 3*s to fight other 3*s. All damage is scaled equally so whatever sequence of moves that used to take someone down to 40% will still work, not counting the fact that ability damage is not increased at every level so you might have be off by a few hundred HP.

As long as the most powerful characters in PvP are also the guys with the most HP, maxing out Retribution is pretty much a no brainer.
    Are you sure about that? They both increased by the same percentage, but does the extra match damage really work out to the same TTK? Because by the raw numbers, 17% more health is more than 17% more power damage, so it really depends on the match damage filling it in. (anecdotally, it seems like my lazy thor's call the storm has survivors more often than before the level shift)
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk's numbers are correct. Given this, I'm still a proponent for 4/5/4. Rarely do I play the character in the vacuum state of PvE where you race against countdown tiles (I'm a Bane, screw PvE), and the versatility in damage is far too important to me in defense against AP shortages. To myself, I can't justify the reduction in straight team damage that 3/5/5 yields, and 5/5/3 stifles the big red hit at the cost of a countdown tile that I see disappear far too often.

Green is only tolerable to me because you can fire it off just before you unleash hot death. You have a firm grip on its utility, though it is sad when the ensuing cascade wipes out the attack tiles. Thankfully, this is rare.

This thread ultimately teaches: you can't go wrong with a 166 Punisher. Just be true to your own play style.

While I see what you are saying with 4/5/4, the problem with that build, like many is that if you don't go all in sometimes in a skill, you end up gimping the character, even though on paper it looks good. 4/5/4 Punisher looks good, except...the advantage that 5/5/3 or 3/5/5 have is that the specialized, when you go 4/5/4 you lose the one thing that gives 5/5/3 it's big advantage and that's the 2 CD tile, and if you go 4 in red you give up what gives 3/5/5 the advantage, the 40% takedown. Remember, 4 in black only increases the attack tile from 65 to 78, it does nothing about the AoE dmg. So if you don't care about the strike tiles, then you should be going 3/5/5
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk's numbers are correct. Given this, I'm still a proponent for 4/5/4. Rarely do I play the character in the vacuum state of PvE where you race against countdown tiles (I'm a Bane, screw PvE), and the versatility in damage is far too important to me in defense against AP shortages. To myself, I can't justify the reduction in straight team damage that 3/5/5 yields, and 5/5/3 stifles the big red hit at the cost of a countdown tile that I see disappear far too often.

Green is only tolerable to me because you can fire it off just before you unleash hot death. You have a firm grip on its utility, though it is sad when the ensuing cascade wipes out the attack tiles. Thankfully, this is rare.

This thread ultimately teaches: you can't go wrong with a 166 Punisher. Just be true to your own play style.

While I see what you are saying with 4/5/4, the problem with that build, like many is that if you don't go all in sometimes in a skill, you end up gimping the character, even though on paper it looks good. 4/5/4 Punisher looks good, except...the advantage that 5/5/3 or 3/5/5 have is that the specialized, when you go 4/5/4 you lose the one thing that gives 5/5/3 it's big advantage and that's the 2 CD tile, and if you go 4 in red you give up what gives 3/5/5 the advantage, the 40% takedown. Remember, 4 in black only increases the attack tile from 65 to 78, it does nothing about the AoE dmg. So if you don't care about the strike tiles, then you should be going 3/5/5
  • Not too long ago I respec'd from 5/5/3 to 3/5/5 and I must say I really do prefer it. Its a noticeable difference with the lack of tiles generated from Molotov but being able to down big guys for just 8 red....so nice! I only count on Molotov for the team damage now. After using Judgement it hits for about 1000 each and that's good enough for me. If it survives long enough to spawn some strike tiles, even better.
  • nonnel
    nonnel Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    40% vs a buffed character is awesome
  • Phaserhawk
    With the current state of the game, and how good X-Force is, it is even harder to justify 5/5/3 IMO. Because of the massive board shake up that X-Force can do, the odds of your CD tile or your attack tile have decreased exponetially.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    With the current state of the game, and how good X-Force is, it is even harder to justify 5/5/3 IMO. Because of the massive board shake up that X-Force can do, the odds of your CD tile or your attack tile have decreased exponetially.

they should just have MC drop 2-3 attack tiles instead of 1 or have it drop 2 attack tiles after the toss and keep it as 1 after the countdown ends.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:

If X-Force is getting 11 blacktile.png or 8 greentile.png you are playing Punisher very very wrong.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I don't see why you'd ever want to use these two at the same time, so I'm not sure this should matter.
  • MarcusGraves
    simonsez wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I don't see why you'd ever want to use these two at the same time, so I'm not sure this should matter.

I believe he's talking about when you're fighting against an x-force with punisher
  • has anyone thought of a pun&DP combo for a little off the top and retribution for an instant down??
  • MarcusGraves
    has anyone thought of a pun&DP combo for a little off the top and retribution for an instant down??

probably but it would cost 14 red to pull off and AI wouldn't know what the hell to do on defense since you have to do ALOtT into retribution, also ALOtT has a damage cap on it of 3786 which hits around like 5820 hp.
  • Phaserhawk
    simonsez wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

I believe he's talking about when you're fighting against an x-force with punisher

Thankyou Marcus, I indeed was
  • Phaserhawk
    simonsez wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

Thankyou Marcus, I indeed was
  • Punisher won the gauntlet for me. His Red carried me through the final 6 simulations.

And I only put 1 level into him. Currently level 41 haha.

Thanks Punisher!
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    onimus wrote:
    Punisher won the gauntlet for me. His Red carried me through the final 6 simulations.

And I only put 1 level into him. Currently level 41 haha.

Thanks Punisher!

Punisher / OBW / Hood has been a favorite team of mine for quite a while and I still use it a lot in PvE. On the widow-enemy team nodes I subbed in CapAm for her.
  • has anyone thought of a pun&DP combo for a little off the top and retribution for an instant down??

probably but it would cost 14 red to pull off and AI wouldn't know what the hell to do on defense since you have to do ALOtT into retribution, also ALOtT has a damage cap on it of 3786 which hits around like 5820 hp.
    The lsat part is what's important. When I first read about DP, that was my first thought, they actually synergize pretty well, between Punisher with his AoE w/ DP's AoE being different colors, along with a boost from green strike tiles, I figured they would make a REAL dangerous duo with someone for support like Hood. The problem is the max damage that DP can do. So, if a character has more than 6310 HP, then it wouldn't kill them. So the characters you'd want to do the combo on - say Hulk or Colossus, would simply shrug it off, you'd only get 3786+whatever the max damage on red is...it wouldn't trigger the 40% situation.

I still like the pairing though...
    - Unreall
  • Phaserhawk
    I would massive lower the % but get rid of the cap..example

A Little Off the Top - Red 6 AP
    All these suckers are punching each other, when I go right too the source - their health bars! I'll slice the enemy's health bar with my sweet ninja-swords, dealing 10% of their current health in damage.
    Level 2: SLICE, SLICE, SLICE! My katanas now cut off 15% of some schlub's health!
    Level 3: SLICE, SLICE, SLICE! My katanas now cut off 20% of some schlub's health!
    Level 4: SLICE, SLICE, SLICE! My katanas now cut off 25% of some schlub's health!
    Level 5: SLICE, SLICE, SLICE! My katanas now cut off 30% of some schlub's health!

Here's the deal. At lvl 40 he only does 1%, at lvl 50 he does 1.5%, etc, etc, much like how they did Falcon, so in order to get the full 30% you have to lvl him up to 166
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Wrong thread. icon_e_wink.gif