Grand Experiment 2: Treading Water in the SCL 10 Post-Shardpocalypse

Comments

• mdreyer93
    mdreyer93 Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    Well I just had an epic LL run (2 SC, 2 Ultron, and 1 Gamora in 10 pulls!). Shang-Chi to 4/5/3 w/ 100 shards, Ultron to 2/2/5 w/ 750 shards, and 0/0/1  Gamora w/ 380 shards. 

I should be able to finish SC with shards (assuming he gets 2 more features) and I only need one more Ultron from LL. Is it time to pull classics until Ultron leaves??
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    Just pulled Odin from classics, face palm
    Talk about a slap in the face.
    Makes you wonder who that cover would have been if you had pulled it yesterday...
  • Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    My luck hasn't been great since returning to classics in terms of who I've pulled - bearing in mind I only have 12 5*s champed and one of those is Shang-Chi so still in latest - I've gotten 2x thanos (champed), 1x ghost rider (champed), 1x storm and 1x Odin
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2021
    Landed another Shang-Chi finally; of course it was purple. Current latest crop:

SC: 1/5/1 with 500 shards
    Ultron: 1/1/1 with 500 shards
    Gamora: 0/0/1 with 390 shards

current favorite chase:
    3* black Panther: 190
    4* Panther: 339 (5* Panther is 3/4/4 with 100 shards, so he is out of sync with the rewards by 150)
    5* Iron Man: 449 shards

i see a long road of direct sharing Shang-Chi in my future, I’ll almost certainly be moving my 5* bonus over after Iron Man is done.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Landed another Shang-Chi finally; of course it was purple. Current latest crop:

SC: 1/5/1 with 500 shards
    Ultron: 1/1/1 with 500 shards
    Gamora: 0/0/1 with 390 shards

current favorite chase:
    3* black Panther: 190
    4* Panther: 339 (5* Panther is 3/4/4 with 100 shards, so he is out of sync with the rewards by 150)
    5* Iron Man: 449 shards

i see a long road of direct sharing Shang-Chi in my future, I’ll almost certainly be moving my 5* bonus over after Iron Man is done.
    You could also try running SC with Karnak specked to 3/5/5 and Sighclops to get better coverage for his red and an outlet for blue.  I would expect that Karnak would still tank black but that should produce a more reliable winfinite than SC at 1 red.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    It's not a bad idea; Karnak hit when I was well out of being a 4* player so I never really consider him for teams. I usually think of my max-champ chavez for crit production, but I think he would work really well with SC.

It seems to me that not losing the combo works best when Shang-Chi has a lot of covers on blue to pump up his charge tile production, so I'll probably dump whatever shards I finish out with on that as I get them. But really I don't like NEED SC to win, since as we've established he's not like lightning fast, I just really like him. Hopefully I'll luck into a few more usable covers though, since grinding 6 or so direct shard covers is a daunting proposition.
  • Sekilicious
    There is a note in the discord about running SC at 3/5/5 and getting top-5 in SCL10 PvE with Colossus and Chavez as partners. The thought is to get charged and crit tiles to hit like a truck at low combo points. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with their champed Colossus, lol. It was froggerjohn (he used to post here) so I imagine his Colossus is enormous and did a lot of the heavy lifting in the colors that SC misses. A lot of the combos I see with SC have viable 5*s that can tank a bit and then support the winfinite. Colossus provides an effective Plan B if the Winfinite fails I guess. 

Running Karnak would work for winfinite but would cost in terms of true healing. That might be a deal breaker. I might try him both with and in place of Hulkbuster if I can champ Sersi. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is he playing the first bracket of each slice, or did he bracket snipe? Bracket sniping is easier to get top placement.
  • Sekilicious
    edited November 2021
    These are brilliant questions that I do not have the answer to. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited November 2021
    Even so, i'm not a competitive PVE player, I just grind full progression. In the sense I don't want to spend a ton of my day doing that, I'm happy to get it done as fast as I can, but I only complete the nodes 4x times and don't do the 2x after-clears people do to max out. It's possible that playing Shang-Chi for mega-match-damage and not even bothering with the winfinite is faster. For instance the build I'm playing right now with a big purple and a small red means I'm just pinpoint dropping crits wherever I want them, and that is no joke for damage once you factor in the triple damage on charged tiles. This could be yet another case of fixating on the gimmick and missing the optimal strategy I guess.
  • Sekilicious
    Yeah. I think there is viability to Colossus/Chavez as a quick team, though lots that espouse it have giant Colossuses (Colossi? anyways, pun intended). Apparently, they can do lots of damage if the crits fall on yellow, blue, or black. I have no clue it it can handle the 20 minute clears required to be considered meta. A champed Shang-Chi would add red  and purple to the mix with the opportunity to pick something more devastating.  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Organic blue pull for Shang-Chi aquired; I've been on such a dry spell since I went back to latest I'm kind of expecting a clump of 5s here for a bit. Hopefully there are a few more of these in my future. Current build: 1/5/2 with 500 shards. Do we think SC has one or two more features in him before dropout? I'm feeling like it'll just be once more.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    One more feature and he's out. You can try your luck in the special store next year February if the dev decides to celebrate Lunar New Year again.

1/5/2 Shang Chi is good. After trying different builds, 5 in purple is great for scl 10.  Between destroying 3 to 5 tiles, it depends on who you team him up with. 
  • Sekilicious
    One more feature and he's out. You can try your luck in the special store next year February if the dev decides to celebrate Lunar New Year again.

1/5/2 Shang Chi is good. After trying different builds, 5 in purple is great for scl 10.  Between destroying 3 to 5 tiles, it depends on who you team him up with. 
    The last Odin feature was after dropping out, wasn't it? Or am I confused.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Yeah he's playable for sure already, which is very rare for a modern 5* anymore. And I can still burn that shard cover on red probably to get a bit more utility once he hits classic
  • mdreyer93
    mdreyer93 Posts: 144 Tile Toppler

The last Odin feature was after dropping out, wasn't it? Or am I confused.
    Yes, it was. Shang-Chi has been the shard reward 3 times so far. For the past 10 releases it's been about 50/50 on whether or not they're the shard reward 4 or 5 times. Odin got 5
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Shang-Chi is now 2/5/2 with 503 shards. I finished up Iron Man and moved my 5* fav over to him since it seems very likely I’ll need to grind him anyway. Progress towards Panther continues, 4* T’Challa is at 341.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Pulled a black for Ultron, he is 1/2/1 with 500 shards. I also got Electro champed. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Finally pulled another Shang-Chi, and it was a usable blue. I went ahead and burned my shard cover on red to make him 3/5/3. 2 more covers before Sersi pushes him out feels ambitious but you never know I guess.
  • dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    My Shang Chi is only 3,3,2 with 1000+ shards. The game doesn’t want me to have him. Ultron is already level 452 and Gamora is 3,1,2 with 500+ shards. I’ve recently put my sharget as Shang Chi, but it looks like it’ll be awhile before he gets champed.