***** Ultron (Age of Ultron) *****

Comments

• heybub
    heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    dianetics said:
    Elekktro's black is really strong if the conditions are met. The yellow is nice. And the green can be good or bad if the countdown tiles stay on the board. For me her green has knocked out strong countdown tiles for me several times, add the to that the destroyed tiles do damage and the green can do decent damage and enable cascades.
    She's good not great and has found a spot on my fourth team.
    Now you are making me rethink my strategy...

I am going for SC, no doubt.  Don't really like Odin, but i can see him being useful.  So it comes down to Electro + Odin, or Odin + Ultron or Ultron + ?.

TBH, average characters mean they don't get used.  I have Hela, who isn't bad, but not great.  I never use her.

I probably won't use electro, unless she is fun.  I might use Odin, if he turns out to be useful.  I probably won't use Ultron.  That means i hope for a great "?" after Ultron, because i would regret missing out on a good one, and I might not end up using the others anyway....

Ok, i guess I am sticking to the aame strategy.... Wait and see on "?".
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    I was gonna make some videos but playing with him kept putting me to sleep. This guy can go on top the already massive pile of mediocre drek that is the 5* tier. If the next 5* is also **** I may just quit the game.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime said:
    For everyone hating on Ultrons red it is pretty on par with many 5*.  

JJ gives one more strike tile an a little more damage for 9AP. 

Carnage for 6AP does 9K damage but also does self team damage

Hela for 9AP gives 4 strike tiles only slightly better than Ultron.

it might not be Apocalypse or IHulk level red but it is not bad.  Plus you will be able to get out a lot of very strong strike tiles if you pairing him with a strike tile producer making his red do a lot of extra damage
    Those other characters are unusable trash because they're not as good as the 3 or 4 good characters. 

If Ultron isn't at least as good as Apocalypse or Hulk, he is also unusable trash.
    With boosted 5* it is not about 3-4 good characters it is about is the boosted character useful.  Ultron will be useful when boosted
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime said:

it might not be Apocalypse or IHulk level red but it is not bad.  Plus you will be able to get out a lot of very strong strike tiles if you pairing him with a strike tile producer making his red do a lot of extra damage

JJ came out 3 years ago. Back when you didn't have characters like Knull with 100k health or Colossus doing 6k+ in match damage. I would guess and say that the average 5* character now has more a fair amount more health and match damage than back when she was released.
    I used to run Carnage alot with Chavez and/or Karnak. And I never fired his red for that reason.... unless it was to end the match. If I was using Carnage it was for his match damage and the free match every turn. Red was a nonfactor.
    I never see Hela unless she is boosted.
    But you are right he will be better if you use him with somebody like Kitty or Okoye.
    When buffed you will see JJ a lot in PVP.  Her passive is nasty and her red isn’t bad. It isn’t about is this power amazing it is about if the character is useful when boosted
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime said:
    wymtime said:

Those other characters are unusable trash because they're not as good as the 3 or 4 good characters. 

If Ultron isn't at least as good as Apocalypse or Hulk, he is also unusable trash.
    With boosted 5* it is not about 3-4 good characters it is about is the boosted character useful.  Ultron will be useful when boosted
    This just isn't true.  I wish it was.

An Ultron boosted to 550 will be about as good as a 450 Apocalypse.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ultron boosted isn't going to look that great. His red will do more damage, but it's already low and if he doesn't have enough specials on the board the damage can be reduced.
    His black won't scale when he is boosted. And his strike tile generation can and will be neutralized quickly. So, the only thing you have to worry about really is his match damage.
    Going up against him I would probably leave a 550 ultron on the board until the end.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2021
    If majority of the game modes in MPQ is pick-1 or 1v1, then it makes sense he's not good. However, the name of the game has always being about synergy.

If you don't want to wait 4 or 5 turns to create 4 strike tiles, pair him with someone who can do it passively. If you want it fast, pair him with R4G. If you want to take it slow, there are a lot of options. And people forget about one advantage of strike tiles and take them for granted: they increases your match damage. As the turn goes on, your match damage increases even more: 1028, 2056, 3084, 4112... That's an extra 10k damage which is approximately equal to an extra 4 match-3 made.

With that being said, R4G/Kitty/Ultron is probably the fastest offensive team based on strike tiles. An extra 4193 buff to your strike tiles is significant. And all these buffs compound each turn: 4193, 8396, 12, 579, 16, 772, 20,965. On turn 6, you would have dealt at least 62,905 in match damage. 
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2021
    Thanos said:
    I was gonna make some videos but playing with him kept putting me to sleep. This guy can go on top the already massive pile of mediocre drek that is the 5* tier. If the next 5* is also **** I may just quit the game.
    I feel the same. Plus with boosted 5s I feel like they care even less if they totally miss the mark on tuning characters these days, because they juat say, well the character won't be so bad boosted. 

I know every release can't be meta, but they don't have to be undertuned garbage either. Nothing worse than when they release some of the more popular characters as well and botch them. I have no idea how they mess things up so bad.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

With that being said, R4G/Kitty/Ultron is probably the fastest offensive team based on strike tiles. An extra 4193 buff to your strike tiles is significant. And all these buffs compound each turn: 4193, 8396, 12, 579, 16, 772, 20,965. On turn 6, you would have dealt at least 62,905 in match damage. 
    If the AI doesn't do something and if you can keep all the strike tiles,no easy achievement, indeed it will be true.
    With polaris he can multiply the strike tile on an adjacent being easy to match.
    However it doesn't change that he is a 5* aspiring to be a third wheel for 4*s.
    Actually I think this 5* is oriented for 4* players like I already said before. 
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2021
    If majority of the game modes in MPQ is pick-1 or 1v1, then it makes sense he's not good. However, the name of the game has always being about synergy.

If you don't want to wait 4 or 5 turns to create 4 strike tiles, pair him with someone who can do it passively. If you want it fast, pair him with R4G. If you want to take it slow, there are a lot of options. And people forget about one advantage of strike tiles and take them for granted: they increases your match damage. As the turn goes on, your match damage increases even more: 1028, 2056, 3084, 4112... That's an extra 10k damage which is approximately equal to an extra 4 match-3 made.

And like you mentioned elsewhere that damage boost is added to his red. And Kitty’s pink. Even as a 4* player switching Kitty for Polaris, Ultron would be good. A step below Kitty with that duo, but there is still an excellent chance that the match is over before Ultron finds 8 black to fire his pathetic stun. I would prefer a mechanic that more closely simulated sentry bots (Ronan’s repeater and maybe black tile destruction would have been fun) but I am not making the game.

If Ultron is making people question whether they want to continue playing the game it is because they are bored. It won’t hurt to take a break from grinding daily, in this game anyways I haven’t found a mobile game that doesn’t have some sort of grind unless it can be beaten in a short time. If you have meta characters, then you will still have meta adjacent characters if you decide to return since nerfs are pretty rare in this game.
  • dianetics
    I like Shang Chi and I like ultron more than odin. So I will probably pull for shang chi when odin rotates out.
    The major problem with ultron is he struggles to get anything going for himself which is a shame and his best partners are 4*s like several of you have pointed out. As several of you have suggested he's more of a PvE stepping stone to 5* than anything else.
    It seems unlikely he will be able to get the huge numbers thrown out from strike tiles that the math suggests are possible, but if it happens it will be fun to watch no doubt.
    From the roughly 9 or so runs on his two Introducing events I've seen his strike tiles wiped more than half the time. Maybe I'm unlucky, but it seems far less spectacular than say BRB with his 6ap blue or even Knull's summon dragons. On paper it looks better than summon dragons, but the adjacent tiles creates a greater chance of matching 2 tiles instead of 1.

I don't know why people would quit over this character, maybe they are already getting a bit exhausted of the cover chase grind that this game is /shrug.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    Threatening to quit is a grand MPQ tradition, as is dramatically quitting then quietly returning a short time later.

Ultron is quite bad but I don't think anybody is actually quitting the game over him.  It's just sort of the go-to move for stuff people are mad about.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2021
    For pves, you can always use supports to fortify those tiles. He also acts as an insurance in case your strike tiles get matched. 

Anyway, he's just another option to play with in the scenario you think work best.
    Given that majority of pves enemies are goons, I think he fits best here. If you still don't like him, get one cover and move on.

I think those speed demons are expecting a Wanda/Colossus killer, just like how they killed Hulkoye. They simply hate defensive meta. When BRB/Kitty was the meta, people were complaining how slow matches were. Pre-nerf Gambit, Thorkoye and Hulkoye had spoilt them too much.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    I am not convinced that Ultron will be a dud. He definitely isn't gamebreakinig either. I think he will turn out to be a middle of the road character who may see more action in the future if he is found to be synergistic with someone... I mean, someone other than Polaris.
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 342 Mover and Shaker
    Don't get the quit threat.  Ya I think he blows, but that just means my CP/LL hoard grows and grows.
  • dianetics
    edited September 2021
    Used him in an interesting combo today during his introducing.

Ultron Knull Scorpion

pretty fun and a little different worked out really well

*edit ran it a few more times with other toons and
    elektro knull and ultron seem to have good synergy as well
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Just to offer a what if: the previous scrum wasn’t about a new character (they have had him for years,mostly) but to work on a new feature that will be announced on the livestream for Anniversary? #mpqanniversary   #bestever
    They should give him stunproof, for real though. Or instant revival so you have to kill him often and last, true damage could become new meta? OUR versions of chars should be strictly better than. I don’t feel so bad playing the Classics Lottery at times like these. 
    It would be a loss if certain players left the game due to boring/meh characters. I hope they find a spark of joy still in some other aspects of gameplay or community. My wife asked last night as we were lying in bed: how long have you been playing that game? 
    I dunno but I can tell you tomorrow when I log back in!
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    I find it... inappropriate that they make MCU Ultron the counter to Wandavision's Scarlet Witch when 3* Switch obliterated him in his movie.
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    If only he was immune to stun from the start like the enemy Ultron is.