***** Ultron (Age of Ultron) *****

Comments

• talleman
    talleman Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker

Does anyone have other new/fun teams that don't involve Knull/R4G/BRB/Kitty/Polaris?

5* Carnage and half health 5* Daredevil could be fun with Ultron.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2021
    That black is going to be better than we're giving it credit for so far. Being able to switch the target enemy each turn, which reduces their strongest AP each turn could help a lot. (I.e. reducing enemy BRB green).
    Stunning Wanda for example helps a ton to circumvent her repeater reducing your ability damage.  
    Red is overvalued by the Dev's as others have stated. 
    That passive blue has potential, but not with just anyone.
    I'm wondering about Karnak, since all 3 colors will be tanked by Ultron for 4 turns or more, and you'll have additional Protect tiles replicating from turn 2. Functionally this duo has only 3 active abilities, so the 3rd ally needs to bring something useful. 
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder if I hoard until Odin rotates if I would get enough to champ this or Shang-Chi. Shang-Chi with Chavez and Magik should be able to handle SCL10 in a reasonable amount of time. Ultron with Grocket/BRB and Polaris likewise. Maybe not. Whatever, I only have 127 pulls and have been hoarding since the end of July. 
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    I wonder if I hoard until Odin rotates if I would get enough to champ this or Shang-Chi. Shang-Chi with Chavez and Magik should be able to handle SCL10 in a reasonable amount of time. Ultron with Grocket/BRB and Polaris likewise. Maybe not. Whatever, I only have 127 pulls and have been hoarding since the end of July. 

Its possible. I believe I got 13+ covers on Wanda from that LL store with just 168 pulls.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2021

Its possible. I believe I got 13+ covers on Wanda from that LL store with just 168 pulls.
    Hopefully we can all be that lucky. If the anniversary store is interesting I have 84 pulls for that as well, though that probably isn’t enough to fully cover Kitty (3/2/1) if she is in there. I would probably need 140 pulls for that
  • Iridious
    Iridious Posts: 53 Match Maker
    I'm curious what will happen to the existing non-playable version of Ultron in PVE nodes outside of the alliance boss event. Will that version stick around so we have 3 total versions of Ultron (Tetris Boss, NPC original and this new 5*), or like back when Devil Dino was updated and became collectable will the old unplayable version be overwritten by this new instance everywhere? Fighting this new version would probably be preferable as he's not stun-immune, but equally I haven't checked if his match damage is significantly better than the old one.

Now I've used the word "version" too much and the word sounds weird to me.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,383 Chairperson of the Boards
    I may try to fully cover him but it depends who comes after him. If it’s an appealing toon I will chase the three Shang chi, ultron, and the next…but if it’s not I will probably pass on him.
    I don’t see him as a must roster like 5witch or col5.
    he would be nice to pair with knull but with these numbers he is not moving the needle for me.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ultron, Loki, and Magneto huh. What a store.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2021
    Whaaaaaat only 8k damage for 7AP, is this a mistake or what ?!?!?!

Ultron could be a really good char if his numbers where good. I get he will have a few strike tiles when he fires his red (maybe) but even with those, 8k is laughable.... in a bad way, like a seriously bad joke!

Once again they put too many things into the same power to make it bad. Why create strike tiles with his red??? just do damage with it! Who cares about the power reduction thing if his damage is useless... Even Silver Surfer as old as he is does more damage (and creates charged tiles) for the same AP. and that power is useless nowadays :( 

If at least he would cancel power reduction for all powers while there was X strike tiles in the board... But as he is right now he might be another dead on arrival char :(

5/3/5 seems as the clear build option.

PS: I dont know, maybe those red strike tiles are better than I give them credit, they are worth almost 2k in damage. But it has been a while since strike tiles have mattered in 5 land... Maybe he will be decent for PvE

PS: Also reading this "Ultron fires intense energy beams from his Vibranium fingertips." hurts me really bad. I get Marvel didnt have the rights to use Adamantium back then but ULTRON is MADE OF ADAMANTIUM !!!! (and they do have the rights now)
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    Like many have said before, at first glance on paper, he is probably not one you bust a hoard for and he is not great at anything.  HIs black is ok but countdown based and if you are looking for a stunner, there are several other options.  His red isn't really good imo since it is far easier to just stun problematic characters with damage reduction and then deal with them last rather than use this power and has anyone really found protect tiles to be a problem recently?  His blue is a much weaker Kitty but not terrible.  He needed some additional benefits like much better damage production, immune to stun and maybe some true healing thrown into his set to even make him average.
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 577 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2021
    Red is almost good but the damage is WAY too low.  Plus it's conditional.  I don't mind the conditional part, but if you meet the condition you should be rewarded with a much better punch.

And in order to meet that condition, you have to get specials going.  But no specials generation begins unless you first fire red.  So really, you have to use red once to begin the condition, then a 2nd time to finally hit for pretty weak damage.

Surely I'm missing something here.  That absolute damage will barely make a dent in an equally leveled Wanda, Colossus, Professor X, or Beta Bill.... or whoever else this absolute damage was intended to counter.
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 577 Critical Contributor
    Polares said this nonsense:

PS: Also reading this "Ultron fires intense energy beams from his Vibranium fingertips." hurts me really bad. I get Marvel didnt have the rights to use Adamantium back then but ULTRON is MADE OF ADAMANTIUM !!!! (and they do have the rights now)
    Clearly this is the MCU Ultron.  From the artwork to the given backstory, this is from the MCU movie. However, even the MCU version wasn't made out of Vibranium.  It's  and odd inclusion.
  • rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards

Clearly this is the MCU Ultron.  From the artwork to the given backstory, this is from the MCU movie. However, even the MCU version wasn't made out of Vibranium.  It's  and odd inclusion.
    Didn't Ultron use Wanda/Pietro to get the Vibranium from Klaue, so Ultron could build a Vibranium body?  
  • mdreyer93
    mdreyer93 Posts: 144 Tile Toppler

Didn't Ultron use Wanda/Pietro to get the Vibranium from Klaue, so Ultron could build a Vibranium body?  
    and that body became Vision
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    For everyone hating on Ultrons red it is pretty on par with many 5*.  

JJ gives one more strike tile an a little more damage for 9AP. 

Carnage for 6AP does 9K damage but also does self team damage

Hela for 9AP gives 4 strike tiles only slightly better than Ultron.

it might not be Apocalypse or IHulk level red but it is not bad.  Plus you will be able to get out a lot of very strong strike tiles if you pairing him with a strike tile producer making his red do a lot of extra damage
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,518 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hela, JJ, and Carnage don't get used because of their reds, though. Is it your intent to defend it as the obligatory bad power of the three? Okay. Not much of a redemption there.
    AP denial tends not to be an effective strategy. Maybe he's different, but I would have to see it to believe it.
    That essentially means his value needs to come from the stun and boosting specials. Is he better than the current options that rely on boosting specials? I would argue no. Is he better than the current options that rely on the stun game? I would argue no.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    As a robot, maybe being stun immune would have given him a bit of a niche?
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess what I can't get over is how bad the devs over-estimate powers that rely on countdown tiles.  I mean you are paying the AP for a power that may never go off.  Yeah they are really good when you have AI goons feeding you AP every round and you get to match tiles (PvE AI ahem....) but in PvP they are generally lousy.  There are so many ways to destroy countdown tiles in this game.  In addition, since you have the wait for the power to fire, it is less valuable than in instant fire ability (I guess you could call that time value of AP or something).  Countdown tiles, when they go off, should have really strong impacts and in this game, most of the countdown powers are worse than active instant use powers and passive powers.  
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime said:
    For everyone hating on Ultrons red it is pretty on par with many 5*.  

JJ gives one more strike tile an a little more damage for 9AP. 

Carnage for 6AP does 9K damage but also does self team damage

Hela for 9AP gives 4 strike tiles only slightly better than Ultron.

it might not be Apocalypse or IHulk level red but it is not bad.  Plus you will be able to get out a lot of very strong strike tiles if you pairing him with a strike tile producer making his red do a lot of extra damage
    Those other characters are unusable trash because they're not as good as the 3 or 4 good characters. 

If Ultron isn't at least as good as Apocalypse or Hulk, he is also unusable trash.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    Barely hits harder than my Hulk buster. It seems like everything is released to be useable when boosted to 550 or with that boost in mind.