Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    He may be the Counter-Odin?
    Sadly you can’t counter a toon no one is using  :D
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    YET lol
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    The way I see it, you’ll never fire it for just 8450 damage because it doesn’t overcome damage reduction unless there are at least 4 strikes/shields/attack tiles on the field. 
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Considering how much of a beast Apocalypse is after finally being made playable, Ultron seems to be made up of the numbers left over, now that he is finally playable

Kind of like the DeVito to Apoc’s Schwarzenegger in Twins

What the better that at some point we get a kaecilius who doesn’t have immortality (it would be op tbf), or they just decide to release Gorgon, but make him even more laughable
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    The comparison to Apocalypse is not favorable.  Their red powers both cost 7. 

Apocalypse does 4 low damage (but boostable) hits that always ignore protect tiles. 

Ultron does one hit of slightly more damage that can conditionally ignore protect tiles and reduction powers. 

How many characters even have passive damage reduction for enemy powers?  Just SW and PX?  It's way too narrow of an advantage for a huge difference in damage.

That is something that bothers me about so many of the new characters. You have older characters that are significantly better across the board in every power. Who determines which characters are gonna be insanely better than the others and for what reason? And I've heard the argument that they slip up and release one occasionally that is better than they planned. I don't buy it.
    Apocalypse is the prime example. His black with 4 protects on the board does nearly 50k damage for just 7 AP. And he has a way to create those protects. A way that also further boosts his teams attacks. You don't accidentally give one character the ability to do outright unassisted 50k damage and another 8k for the same cost.
    As you mentioned his Red does 4 hits for a total of 16k damage and it ignores protects with no stipulations. When boosted each of those 4 hits are boosted. Which means not only is this power for a character that is 18 months old already outright hitting harder for the same cost but when boosted its hitting 4x harder. And he can considerably boost it himself. 
    I get that they can't all be great. But when there is such a huge gap between characters it makes the ones that aren't DOA.

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    They running out of ideas already for new characters????
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,805 Chairperson of the Boards
    The comparison to Apocalypse is not favorable.  Their red powers both cost 7. 

Apocalypse does 4 low damage (but boostable) hits that always ignore protect tiles. 

Ultron does one hit of slightly more damage that can conditionally ignore protect tiles and reduction powers. 

How many characters even have passive damage reduction for enemy powers?  Just SW and PX?  It's way too narrow of an advantage for a huge difference in damage.

That is something that bothers me about so many of the new characters. You have older characters that are significantly better across the board in every power. Who determines which characters are gonna be insanely better than the others and for what reason? And I've heard the argument that they slip up and release one occasionally that is better than they planned. I don't buy it.
    Apocalypse is the prime example. His black with 4 protects on the board does nearly 50k damage for just 7 AP. And he has a way to create those protects. A way that also further boosts his teams attacks. You don't accidentally give one character the ability to do outright unassisted 50k damage and another 8k for the same cost.
    As you mentioned his Red does 4 hits for a total of 16k damage and it ignores protects with no stipulations. When boosted each of those 4 hits are boosted. Which means not only is this power for a character that is 18 months old already outright hitting harder for the same cost but when boosted its hitting 4x harder. And he can considerably boost it himself. 
    I get that they can't all be great. But when there is such a huge gap between characters it makes the ones that aren't DOA.

I don't think it's anything that nefarious.  I think they're just vastly overestimating the value of damage "that cannot be reduced."

One issue for all new characters (that you've noticed): every new damage power has to pay a tax because Okoye and Apocalypse exist and are on every team.  There's a fix for that, of course, but we won't talk about it.

I imagine their default testing involves checking to make sure any new power isn't broken with either of them, and adjusting it down accordingly.  They'd have to test Ultron with Kitty as well, since he makes and buffs tiles.

Maybe he'll play way better than he looks; I've certainly been wrong before and will be again.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    Those numbers look pretty low to me. Kitty's a better specials booster and removes an enemy special every turn after turn 1. Maybe if you put them together they are an interesting double dip? Like how some people tried to make Kitty+Nico a thing?
    We've got a few characters who steal or destroy enemy AP, but I've yet to see a meta using that trait. I don't see him pushing it over the edge. A black stun is kind of neat, but there are a lot of great black powers in the 5* tier. Is his in their league? I doubt it unless there's a stun lock team developing here.
    That red is awful for the 5* tier. Others have already mentioned examples that hit much harder. True, his can circumvent 5witch, but so what? She's not hard to beat.
    I still see a painfully weak character who might not even get action when baby-champ versions are boosted. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,805 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh, I forgot: I have no idea why they think "drain/destroy the enemy's strongest color AP" is ever useful.  It's almost always strictly worse than "drain/destroy random color AP" because *all the good characters have passives or bad abilities on their strongest color*.

Seriously, if you're going to keep giving that to us, start making characters who actually care about their strongest color.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    They running out of ideas already for new characters????
    I could be mistaken but by my count that now makes 53 of 61 5* characters taken that also has a cinema appearance. ( The base character, such as Electro, not necessarily the Frye version).
  • heybub
    heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Powers seem interesting, kinda like jack of all trades - passively creates specials, buffs, stun and ap reduction, and creates strikes with low damage.  But like a jack of all trades, does nothing particularly well.  The "cannot be reduced" red might be interesting especially if there are more defensive - damage reducers come around.  Looks meh, but might be useful in the right situation.

Can someone throw him on the simulator to see how he will play?

But like other have stated - it's all about Shang Chi. So Ultron may not be meta, but is he better than Electro?  I'll probably pull Shang once I see who will replace Odin - which means I'll be getting this guy.

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2021
    In retrospect, he should have summoned the three Sentry bots with his black instead of a weak stun. He would have been fun in that case.
    This would make him much better, and should have been a condition of his Blue. After all, it's Hive Mind. If there are no friendly SAP tiles, Ultron could destroy the 4 bottom tiles in a random row, and any new tiles that fall have a % of being SAP tiles. This would ensure he will be able to kickstart himself passively a la Polaris. He could also convert SAP tiles into Critical tiles or remove them to restore health. But alas.

Still, finally having a playable Ultron gives me hope that one day we’ll likewise have Galactus and Mephisto.
  • Jimsta_rooney
    Jimsta_rooney Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Oh, I forgot: I have no idea why they think "drain/destroy the enemy's strongest color AP" is ever useful.  It's almost always strictly worse than "drain/destroy random color AP" because *all the good characters have passives or bad abilities on their strongest color*.

Seriously, if you're going to keep giving that to us, start making characters who actually care about their strongest color.
    Can only think of one truly decent ap drain, 3 star she hulk
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2021
    Agent Coulson's ap steal (up to 15 aps) is pretty good as well with the right team. Green Goblin can steal up to 27 aps, which is pretty sick. 

We can replace Knull with R4G in the team of Kitty/Ultron if you can't wait. You get a buff of 4193 each turn beginning from turn 1 instead of waiting for turn 3 or 4. 

Does anyone have other new/fun teams that don't involve Knull/R4G/BRB/Kitty/Polaris?

In a Pick-2, Thor & Ultron perhaps? Thor feeds red and converts protect tiles to strike tiles. His AoE benefits from those buffed/created strike tiles. Ultron can create 4 strike tiles with 7 red aps. (Thor/)OMD/Ultron looks fun as well.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards

Can only think of one truly decent ap drain, 3 star she hulk

3* Strange's stun+AP drain is pretty useful. Maybe that's the key to making Ultron work?
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think this character is not for me.
    However there are hundreds of players running gritty teams or having exclusively kitty champed.
    In there he will have his market, and devs should know when recording their data.
    Those data can be pretty different to what one could think.
    Like that Nova - Dr Strange that just 2 players nailed it right.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    To me, he's a 5star R4g. With a conditional black stun.  

Polaris and Ultron seem like a go-to combination. Blue stun and a conditional black stun if you haven't made all the black tiles into special ones already. And the black countdown is fortified, so it isn't so easily dealt with.  

Obvious third is kitty. Other option would be D5ken despite the black ap drain.