***** Ultron (Age of Ultron) *****

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    Often, the first time they do a new mechanic, they're not quite sure how to value it.  Sometimes they overrate what it's worth and sometimes they underrate it.  (As an exercise, compare "ignores protect tiles" as a mechanic through the years).

The "low" damage description in there makes me tend to think they're overrating the mechanic in this case, but I'd be happy to be surprised! 

Also we will need to see how that power interacts with power boosters.  Since the boosters' rise to dominance, every AOE or multi-hit power has had its damage heavily discounted, because the devs know that every team now includes a power booster.
  • Hellblazer666
    Hellblazer666 Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Finally Ultron is a playable character he has been a boss/mini boss for ages
  • Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    Glad to see him finally become playable, feels like its a few years late and would have fitted into the 5* realm pretty well way back when. Not seeing anything in the powers or numbers that shouts out he will be showing up in many PVP teams these days though
  • entrailbucket
    Woof.  8450 AOE at lvl 450 is actually *less* than I was expecting.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Not AoE though.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    I assume whatever the boosted damage he fires off can't be reduced at all? If so the "low damage" makes sense if it goes through passives and all damage reducers.
  • entrailbucket
    edited September 2021
    RickOShay said:
    Not AoE though.
    I...just assumed with a number that ridiculously low, that it was AOE damage...wow.

Edit: 8450 AOE would be a low number for this power, in this meta. 

8450 single-target is, like, I don't even
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jeez I want Shang but now need to decide which two duds to draw him with.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Tony_Foot said:
    Jeez I want Shang but now need to decide which two duds to draw him with.

I'm probably just gonna wait and see what the next one is to be honest. Either do Odin, Shang and Ultron or Shang, Ultron and ?. The next one is seemingly just as likely to be better and otherwise not much worse.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    THese numbers are very, very low, but I'm still curious how it'll play. I wonder if it'll share the art from the regular one we already have?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Does Hive Mind create some kind of tile? It's worded in a strange way.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here are rhe numbers. Indeed, he is slow. And he is a mixture of kitty and many others. 
    However he buffs quite good, and his beam finally will benefit from that.
    Also he will stun for 2 turns with a fortifying. 
    I think he is a good third wheel when fighting SW, although he won't stop her quickly.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker

I took it that if there are x number of strike/attack/protect tiles on the board then it either creates one next to an existing one or improves a random one.
    I'm wondering what it does if there are none on the board? Nothing?
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards

I took it that if there are x number of strike/attack/protect tiles on the board then it either creates one next to an existing one or improves a random one.
    I'm wondering what it does if there are none on the board? Nothing?
    I'm assuming it does nothing.  Boss Ultron does not replicate unless his bots give him tiles to replicate.  So, I'm assuming this Ultron plays the same way.  
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wow they really are going back into the mists of time this year! First Ronan and now Ultron. Not getting a comic book Ultron is a tough one because the film version was always terrible both look wise and generally but I guess this was a pretty easy week at the office in some ways. These numbers seem weirdly low, especially considering what we got when Apocalypse was made playable. I mean I get it is guaranteed damage on the red but you still need to meet conditions for that. I'm starting to wonder if Electro is that bad and to keep pulling with this current 3.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Bad said:
    Here are rhe numbers. Indeed, he is slow. And he is a mixture of kitty and many others. 
    However he buffs quite good, and his beam finally will benefit from that.
    Also he will stun for 2 turns with a fortifying. 
    I think he is a good third wheel when fighting SW, although he won't stop her quickly.
    That buff isn't quite as good when you see that Kitty buffs up to 5 tiles for ~650 each, for a total of 3,250/turn (based off my 453 Kitty, your mileage may vary). Ultron just does the one for 1028.

I'm hoping that there will be some non-obvious thing he is good at, like CArbage, who had pretty weak numbers but turned out to be good actually, but i'm not super upbeat it will be the case.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    The way I see him his best setting would be 5/3/5 and the team where he can punch, a brolaris or a gritty team. 
    In a gritty team his beam can hit big in a few turns.
    Not sure if the gritty team is alive anymore in pick 3.
  • entrailbucket
    The comparison to Apocalypse is not favorable.  Their red powers both cost 7. 

Apocalypse does 4 low damage (but boostable) hits that always ignore protect tiles. 

Ultron does one hit of slightly more damage that can conditionally ignore protect tiles and reduction powers. 

How many characters even have passive damage reduction for enemy powers?  Just SW and PX?  It's way too narrow of an advantage for a huge difference in damage.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    He may be the Counter-Odin?
  • Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    with the very low damage when compared with current 5*, anyone else think the developers opened a folder up from a few years ago, found ultron lurking in there and thought 'ummm guys, did we forget this one? Quick chuck him in'