The great days of Po(op)laris

Options

Comments

• Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Has no one noticed that she was already nerfed? It was very minor, but impactful in my opinion.

She no longer can stun an enemy if there are no tiles available for her to create Strike tiles.

Previously, her stun and strike tile creation were separate affects, meaning that either would take place. Now her stun is dependent on her ability to create strike tiles. I KNOW! It does nothing in terms of her overall function, but I specifically took advantage of that stun lock loophole. Not being able to stun while the board is full means that the opposing team has a chance to take her out before she finishes them off. It seldom happens, but I have lost my Polaris once while the board was full because she couldn't stun. No, I didn't lose the match, but still.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I tested the above. It's true. and Polaris got nerfed.   :sweat_smile:

This nerf is insignificant if you are running infinite. In a Pick 2, it can be significant.

Edit: she isn't nerfed yet.  :D 
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,407 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is that a Polaris specific nerf or a change in mechanics? Because there are a lot of toons that can no longer fire abilities if there are no available tiles.
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 713 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Strange, As i runned whole SCL10 even with her stunning when the board is full. This week. Unless it happed in last update.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Mr_F said:
    Strange, As i runned whole SCL10 even with her stunning when the board is full. This week. Unless it happed in last update.
    Yeah, it must have happened with yesterday’s update and will make SCL10 more difficult for me lol. Not that it is a bad thing necessarily. It takes so much time with the winfinite.

edit - never mind
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,645 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    That was fast work by the Devs! This thread only started 2 days ago! :D;)
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,407 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I find it a little strange that it’s not mentioned in the patch notes though.
    I don’t know if it’s a nerf or a bug fix, because there is nothing in the notes about it.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2021
    Options
    After further testing, I think it's a false alarm.

What happened was you were firing her stun when the board was filled with special tiles AND the enemy is at their maximum stun limit. So, if your Polaris max stun turn is 3 and enemy is currently stunned for 3 turns, and the board is filled with special tiles, you won't be able to fire her stun.

Sorry for the early Polaris celebration. Polaris isn't nerfed yet.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,170 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2021
    Options
    The Danver5 Nerf was also unnanounced and unexplained. The first 5* nerf I’m aware of that didn’t come with a sell back arrangement and explanation thread. So there is precedent for a quiet “rebalance.”
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The Danver5 Nerf was also unnanounced and unexplained. The first 5* nerf I’m aware of that didn’t come with a sell back arrangement and explanation thread. So there is precedent for a quiet “rebalance.”
    I was using her with BRB and Polaris, and I was so confused when it stopped working.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    MegaBee said:
    I was using her with BRB and Polaris, and I was so confused when it stopped working.
    As were we all. In fact, I'd spent about 90 days finishing her up from 10 covers right after Polaris hit, and the nerf rolled in after I'd only had her champed for about a month. I really would like to believe there is some as-yet unreleased Yellow monster coming out, because otherwise there are just way too many other green board shakers at all tiers of the game for it to make sense as a BRB/Polaris hamstring operation.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Options
    MegaBee said:
    As were we all. In fact, I'd spent about 90 days finishing her up from 10 covers right after Polaris hit, and the nerf rolled in after I'd only had her champed for about a month. I really would like to believe there is some as-yet unreleased Yellow monster coming out, because otherwise there are just way too many other green board shakers at all tiers of the game for it to make sense as a BRB/Polaris hamstring operation.
    Th4nos works even better in that combo, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I didn’t find that to be the case, but there was a huge debate at the time; if you had 5 on green, and a board full of specials, Danver5 would do way more damage than Th4nos does every time you fired it. Also her 5* health pool made it way more forgiving for challenge nodes.

anybody notice the stealth buff to Apocalypse that came in at some point? It used to be that his red would target the lowest health enemy even if they were invisible or airborne, and just burn the AP and do nothing, but now it targets the lowest available health enemy when that is the case. I just saw it happen against an invisible Maria Hill on the 5E node of this sub of Spider Silk.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2021
    Options
    After further testing, I think it's a false alarm.

What happened was you were firing her stun when the board was filled with special tiles AND the enemy is at their maximum stun limit. So, if your Polaris max stun turn is 3 and enemy is currently stunned for 3 turns, and the board is filled with special tiles, you won't be able to fire her stun.

Sorry for the early Polaris celebration. Polaris isn't nerfed yet.

The enemy was not stunned at the time. When I fired her ability, a window popped up that said that it would have no affect. Yes, I double-checked to make sure the enemy could be stunned. FYI, if you attempt to use Polaris' blue to stun Hydra Stomper or Peggy Carter, the power will still fire as long as there are basic tiles. Strike tiles will be created, but the word "immune" pops up to inform you that HS and PG cannot be stunned.

edit: It could be a bug, but it has happened to me several times. I don't have a timeline so I can't tell you how long it's been happening.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Who were you fighting against? Was it in the hydra stomper PVp?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I just tried it in Pick-3 in Simulator against a 5Witch/iHulk/Okoye, and I was able to stun somebody with a board completely full of specials or team ups. There must have been something else going on.
  • Captain_Trips88
    Captain_Trips88 Posts: 264 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My line up is almost exclusively Polaris based and regularly have the board full of special tiles, can always stun the opponents even when not creating new tiles. Have never tried to stun an already 3 turn stunned character because why would you, but maybe that's a thing? 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Ok, in the Daredevil lighting round I arranged it to have a full board of specials and a freshly stunned BRB, and you get the message that says “No status change, this power will have no effect” and it won’t allow it to be fired. So if you have a character already 3-turn stunned and nowhere for the specials to land, you are indeed prevented from firing the power, but if they have less than 3 turns or there is room, it can be fired. This is good and desirable behavior, otherwise you are just throwing 7 blue AP in the trash.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,925 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ok, in the Daredevil lighting round I arranged it to have a full board of specials and a freshly stunned BRB, and you get the message that says “No status change, this power will have no effect” and it won’t allow it to be fired. So if you have a character already 3-turn stunned and nowhere for the specials to land, you are indeed prevented from firing the power, but if they have less than 3 turns or there is room, it can be fired. This is good and desirable behavior, otherwise you are just throwing 7 blue AP in the trash.
    Massive nerf alert!!!!
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Same thing happens with okoye firing her yellow, when at full health and can't create team up tiles with board full of specials.

Happened to me when running 5* thor/Polaris/Okoye in last clear of Challenge node. Wasn't totally paying attention freaked me out at first. 😄