The great days of Po(op)laris

Options

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,966 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Go back and read the thread about the Bishop nerf.  People complained that without him, lower rosters had no way to "punch up" against bigger ones.

That argument was not convincing, apparently.
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 720 Critical Contributor
    Options
    In a game like this sometimes someone just will be hurt back when actually not possesing someone. There are two options here: you either chase besties or you do not do that. Each has its own pros and cons - which I hope are so obvious that I do not have to state them here. And I believe that only one character HAS to be chased by everyone: 3* Strange. The others (like Polaris, Kitty, BRB or Grocket) arent needed but definetly will help much.
    People will ALWAYS complain about meta and the neccesity to use meta to beat meta. But its fighting fire with fire: more fire. I choose water. If more people will choose water then we will be skipped with many complains.
    I has never chased meta beside 3* Strange and if ya will look my roster ya cant say I've been that much badly hurt by that. Back in 4* land I had 10, different teams and Juggs with Cap Marvel were only meta characters there. Now I am left with two 4* teams (Cardusa and a Web Team) and a mix of 4*/5* teams. All I can say: there are solution to almost everythinhg here.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think the main cause of her queendom it is just because she is the fastest one.
    There are 2 characters countering her but it seems few players are covering them. It would be needed one character streghtening destroying special tiles meta.

Now look at the new 4*: it has a powerful effect with her partner and together they are both stronger. Is this a new regular feature? (I remember I suggested something like this in the past, characters heavily boosting affiliation).

Now returning to the destroying tiles meta: if appeared a 4* adding heavy damage when destroying enemy special tiles, and making it viable and fast to play with morbius and mantis, then 4* players could have more options than the polaris queendom.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Go back and read the thread about the Bishop nerf.  People complained that without him, lower rosters had no way to "punch up" against bigger ones.

I don’t think I said anything about punching up against bigger rosters. Polaris certainly does not qualify there. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Prof X and Onslaught can wipe out your team in one cascade. It happened to me quite a few times. That's why I'm really happy to see 5witch.

Standard counters to Polaris are:
    Sabretooth, Morbius, Medusa, 3* Hulk.

Th4no, Riri, America Chavez+ Juggernaut, Mr Fantastic, Throg,  4* Deadpool, Dazzler, Kraven, Mantis are some other alternatives. There are more but, it really depends on how familiar one is with existing characters.

• entrailbucket
    Options
    The question is, is the game meant to be that fast/easy for players?  Are 4* players meant to trivially beat high-level 5* players in PvP, and trivially clear cl10 PvE?

We can't answer that because it's not our game. 

It is somewhat suggestive that out of 100+ 4* characters, only one of them is capable of doing this kind of thing.
  • entrailbucket
    Options

I don’t think I said anything about punching up against bigger rosters. Polaris certainly does not qualify there. 
    Polaris teams regularly beat my lvl675 boosted guys in PvP.  Also, PvE is a competition.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I’m mostly seeing variations on the 5* boost list myself, but since that is what I’m running (Heimdall/Hawkeye, Heimdall/Hela, Hela/Hawkeye) I guess that tracks. A very boosted Polaris with Beta Ray Bill can still get a stun lock out on you if you aren’t careful, and that can be trouble, but generally I still target teams with a 4* component of they are available and worth points. You need a protect bypasser like Apocalypse, and even boosted she is a Shared Strength + Survival of the Fittest away from being a non-issue (as a 5* player). Just match away a couple easy protects on match one if you can to keep her from making more. How many Protect avoiders are there at the 4* tier? Eddie Brock Venom, Red gaurdian and Luke Cage? Anyone else?
    I do love the Knull/ Apocalypse duo, which cut through all those protects like a hot knife through better. I used to avoid all Brolaris teams until I champed Knull a few weeks ago . And both have huge HP. Peggy also avoids protects as a 4 though. 
  • Sekilicious
    edited September 2021
    Options

Polaris teams regularly beat my lvl675 boosted guys in PvP.  Also, PvE is a competition.
    Good luck ranking top 20 against 5* players with Polaris even max champed, especially if you have lvl675 characters. The top of the 4* meta is undercovered 5* boosted characters as well. The reason this thread even exists is because she is boosted. That was not the case with Bishop, though even he did not have to deal with boosted 5*. 
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    I just think it's profoundly dumb that in a game with this many characters, certain characters are miles and miles better than the rest of their tier, to the point of making all other characters irrelevant.

Lots of competitive online games make balance changes every month -- nerf the most used characters and buff the least used ones to keep everyone about the same level of mediocre.

Also we have rotating boosts.  I don't think a character that's boosted +100 levels should *ever* lose to an unboosted character. 

The only reason this happens is because of massive imbalances in character power levels, and the problem is that this hits directly at the devs' bottom line.  You can skip every character but the best ones and win everything.  Most top players now spend $0.

I understand why they don't want to do nerfs, because every time they do they get review bombed and get bombarded by death threats from upstanding members of the community.  I just wish they'd ignore that stuff and make the game they want to make, not the game that a few unhinged, entitled players want to play.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,561 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Polaris is not a viable competitive PvE option against 5* rosters, even when boosted, in SCL9. I can't speak for SCL10, because I slum.
    In PvP, she's useful in Pick-3 because you can stun 5witch and Colossu5. I've also found her useful in Pick-2 when BRB is boosted to climb to around 1k, because it saves on health packs. After that, I start getting picked on because of her low health. I've personally never run into an OFF first team in Pick-2 with Polaris that didn't require the essential to contribute and contribute early (ex. Grockett, 3* Fist, etc...). So, I just don't see her as a problem anymore.
    If they ever release a 5* Grockett, sure, that could be a nightmare even with the counters. But when I see her in PvP, I pick on her. One less 5witch, Colossu5, or 150k health boosted-5 I have to whittle away. 
  • Sekilicious
    edited September 2021
    Options

I understand why they don't want to do nerfs, because every time they do they get review bombed and get bombarded by death threats from upstanding members of the community.  I just wish they'd ignore that stuff and make the game they want to make, not the game that a few unhinged, entitled players want to play.
    If you’re implying I would send death threats if Polaris was nerfed you are mistaken. But thanks for playing.
  • entrailbucket
    Options

If you’re implying I would send death threats if Polaris was nerfed you are mistaken. But thanks for playing.
    I don't think you would. 

I know that many, many other players would, and have done so in the past for various reasons.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    But you can figure it out how it was made: because of the stun and after 6 minutes wrestling.
    If the guy is high enough, after winning you took 3 hits.
    I wouldn't say a polaris team is the big option on high competitive 5* tier.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    How would everyone feel if they made a new 2* that could trivially beat any 4* team, including Polaris? 

Would that be fair to players who'd invested lots of time and/or money into building Polaris? 

Would you be upset about losing hundreds of points in PvP to 2* teams?
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 720 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Borstock said:
    Polaris is not a viable competitive PvE option against 5* rosters, even when boosted, in SCL9. I can't speak for SCL10, because I slum.

But she allows me, a SCL8 player to to do the SCL10 full progression top 200. Which is huge. Of course, t takes at least double the normal time and I cant afford that too often and will not. Life is life and I have better things to do than just to play a mobile game 2h+ per day.
    In PVP she allows me with BRB to steamroll 50 wins relativly easy.
    She is powerfull and allows many players to get better rewards faster. Like addidtion of 3* Strange allowed us to steamroll goons and do higher SCL PVE earlier. Same here. I dont think thats bad per se. Why? Because of the dillution or whatever you call it. I preffer the other method but not every event I can so sometimes I to relly on her.

The only bad thing with her IMO is the fact that I can using 2/1/1 lv 300 BR with her lv 285 to kill most 5* teams I face. She allows me to do the CN when enemies has total or 600k health and my team barely breaks 80k.
    She needs a clever change in her kit but not the Bishop's level nerf. But I will not be the one who yells "ner Polaris" because if devs wont do it I can see not a problem to that.
  • hothie
    hothie Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    edited September 2021
    Options
    As a 4* player, I have been playing SCL9 in PvE, and I blow through every node with Polaris/R4G/Juggs, except for the 5* required node. There I play Polaris and either Morbius or Mantis, depending on whether the enemy team has tile movers or not. Either way, it's Polaris, because she is just that good, and if it does come down to 1V3, she does have the capability to win on her own, as I have done so before more times than I like to admit. There are other characters, like Vulture or Invisible Woman, that at the 4* level can confidently handle 1V3, but not many. (and neither of those are very well covered for me yet.)

Her effectiveness (read: brokenness) I think can be measured as a function of time/roster. What I mean by that is this:

when I was in 3* land, before I had Polaris, I struggled against Polaris teams, and often skipped them if I could. I just didn't have anything that wouldn't just get slaughtered quickly, regardless of what I threw at her. This is where I developed my 2/3* winfinite team, as they were the only team that had a chance of winning against her, depending on who was with her.

As I transitioned into 4* land, I still didn't have Polaris, or she wasn't very good, but I had more options to deal with her, so I was having more success against her. As I got more characters covered and eventually champed, I could deal with her more easily, so I could develop strategies against her.

As I got my Polaris better covered and eventually champed, I could then decide who I wanted to bring with her in PvP. My options opened up, but the combos still revolved around her.

I'm still solidly in 4* land, with 17 champs, and nearly every 4* rostered (just Devil Dino and Lockjaw left!), and I still have to deal with her nearly every battle in PvP. I can handle her more easily now that I have more and better characters, but she's still omnipresent, especially this week while boosted.

Now, as I develop more 5* characters, I can transition away from using her, and move into using other characters. And of course, the veterans, having obviously more time in the game and better rosters than me, generally have little trouble with her, or so they say. They often are the ones that are the "con" against  nerfing her, and understandably so.  They have seen what nerfs can do, and admittedly, I haven't yet, so I listen to what they have to say regarding any character nerfs. They also have the tools and characters that can more easily deal with her. And that's not a knock against them, that's just the way it is.

So, I think her effectiveness depends greatly on what you have that can deal with her. But, as I said earlier, even if you do bring a good counter team to her, she can still win the game in 1 cascade, by herself.

Did she need to be boosted? Not really, IMO, I think her week could have waited a while, but w/e. Her week will come and go like everyone else. But I just think with her boost, her effectiveness is magnified this week, and we're seeing that.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,970 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    She's only boosted for a few days in PvP. Then she will be back to her normal self which is easily manageable.
    I think we can live with her being boosted 1-2 weeks a year just like we can live with Grocket boosted 1-2 weeks a year (as long as it's never both boosted at the same time. LOL).
    KGB
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Polaris nerf? I thought we were trying to get iHulk nerfed. Shoot, double nerf incoming!
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    I haven't seen Hulk in months, not since the entire game unhoarded for SW.