***** Magneto (Age of Apocalypse) *****

Options

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    All they need is a character whose passive ability reduces the turn of all airborne characters to zero at the start of their turn. This is a double-edged sword that can also work againsts you or the AI. And I think Magneto (AOA) would move up the ranking.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    All they need is a character whose passive ability reduces the turn of all airborne characters to zero at the start of their turn. This is a double-edged sword that can also work againsts you or the AI. And I think Magneto (AOA) would move up the ranking.
    There is a character who can do this and it is Heimdall.  He can send Mags airborn for one turn, but there are some major flaws with this combo.

1 it is really slow.  You need to wait to get 24+ yellow AP.  You then use Heimdall blue to reduce his yellow power to 3 and fire each turn.

2 You don’t have anyone to enhance Mags damage to make it really dangerous.  You can use Heimdall’s red but it is expensive and you need fortified tiles on multiple colors to be good.  Mags red is just bad with the 2 turn repeaters so easily matched.

3 regardless there is a hard counter in the game to Mags and that is Archangel.  The min you send Mags airborn Mags gets dragged down hit for damage and is stunned.

• HoundofShadow
    Options
    I have not played his PvP yet. Are you saying that if I fire Magneto's blue  followed by Heimdall's yellow, it will reduce his airborne countdown from 3 to 1? 

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,017 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime said:
    There is a character who can do this and it is Heimdall.  He can send Mags airborn for one turn, but there are some major flaws with this combo.

1 it is really slow.  You need to wait to get 24+ yellow AP.  You then use Heimdall blue to reduce his yellow power to 3 and fire each turn.

2 You don’t have anyone to enhance Mags damage to make it really dangerous.  You can use Heimdall’s red but it is expensive and you need fortified tiles on multiple colors to be good.  Mags red is just bad with the 2 turn repeaters so easily matched.

3 regardless there is a hard counter in the game to Mags and that is Archangel.  The min you send Mags airborn Mags gets dragged down hit for damage and is stunned.

You forgot 4.

4. sending Magneto airborne by someone else’s powers don’t trigger any of his effects. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have not played his PvP yet. Are you saying that if I fire Magneto's blue  followed by Heimdall's yellow, it will reduce his airborne countdown from 3 to 1? 

No I thought Heimdall’s yellow would trigger Mags damage if Heimdall’s threw him in the air, but according  to @Tiger_Wong that won’t work.  Let’s just accept Mags is bad and move onto the next 5*
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One of the biggest issues with 5Mags is the amount of thought that goes into playing him and the right order of firing his powers.  At the end of the day, 5Mags might be fine on a team in OUR hands.  However, the AI will totally have no idea how to play him best and thus he will never have room in the UberMeta because if you leave him on a PVP defense, there is almost no way the AI will maximize his power.  At least, IMHO.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This is such a disapointment for me. 
    To see Magneto finally as a 5-star and have him suffer from bad and confused mechanic has got me so bummed out that I have to rant a bit more here, even though it won't really matter either way, as seen with Wasp and Carol examples...

Others have pointed out in previous pages in this thread, what is wrong with this build and why. I just wish to point out how some of these points have already been criticized when 5-star Carol arrived, namely, having to wait on damage while being airborne while also having repeater tiles that do stuff, and having passives that also get ignored when airborne. And yet, it is all repeated again, here. (pun intended, I guess)

Still, as a few others have pointed out, he does look like a potentially fun character if only some tweaks could happen. As I've already spent the time reading through most of this thread and saw a few ideas on how to make him somewhat more useful, here's my take too... :)

Polar Coordination 10 AP

Magneto goes Airborne for 3 turns. For every 3 Yellow AP Magneto has when he returns from being Airborne, deal a blow of X damage to the enemy (up to 8 times).
    (PASSIVE) While airborne, Magneto converts 4 Basic tiles to Yellow at the start of the turn, targeting Green tiles first.

Eternal Induction 6 AP

Convert 4 basic, Strike, Attack, or Protect tiles of a chosen color into strength X Protect tiles. If a friendly Strike, Attack, or Protect tile would be converted, instead improve it by Y. 
    (PASSIVE) Protect tiles are X% stronger for each active X-Men member on Magneto's team. If Magneto is Airborne, Protect tiles are Y% stronger instead.

Magnetic Inhibitor 9 AP

Magneto creates 2 strength X Black Strike tiles. Then create 2 Purple 2-turn Repeater tiles that convert 1 enemy Strike, Attack, or Protect tiles to a friendly Blue Strike tile and deal Y damage.
    (PASSIVE) While Magneto is Airborne, whenever the enemy make a Yellow match, convert 1 enemy Strike, Attack, or Protect tile to a friendly Strike tile or deal Y damage to the target if no enemy tiles exist.

So, the idea is to go airborne then wait a bit for the mini nukes to hit. While airborne, his tile stealing repeaters stop, but he's adding yellow on the board, to build up a stronger hit when he returns, and if enemy matches it, it kinda does a little bit of what repeaters would have done, had they not been paused. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Reporting from his pvp: it seems there are some bugs.
    - protect tiles are ok with his buff altought they seem as always.
    -protect tiles from BRB clash of worthy are buffed more than 100% and they reflect this value clicking on them, although having only magneto as xmen
      -if magneto dies those protects are left unchanged
    -repeaters are converting to strike tiles of the same strenght that special tile had, instead of 150 strenght if champed.
    Edit: after reading more his text, that strenght 150 could be his 2 special tiles and then the repeater conversion could be ok, it converts any enemy special to a strike of the same value. That would make his repeaters more precious yet.
    And the only bug remaining should be clash of worthy.

• Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I’m glad to see a 5* Magneto.  Not every new release needs to be a meta or anti-meta. ( over 90% of characters aren’t ). I’d hate to have to chase that meta shift every month . I have no complaints on him , I just probably won’t use him .
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    It won't work because his blue ability isn't passive. If it works, his ability will probably look like this:

Polar Coordination - 10  AP
    Magneto surveys the battlefield, planning the perfect moment to strike. Magneto converts 3 Basic Green tiles to Yellow and goes Airborne for 2 turns.

(PASSIVE) Whenever Magneto returns from being Airborne, for every 3 Yellow AP he has, deal a blow of 1148 damage to the enemy (up to 8 . (Max Level 4614 damage)

However, Heimdall's yellow will work nicely with Blackcat and Vulture. 

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

However, Heimdall's yellow will work nicely with Blackcat and Vulture. 

No. Heimdall's Yellow does not gain AP if his allies go Airborne on their own. If Vulture goes Airborne via Circling Prey, when he comes back down he won't get the additional 3 AP.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    My bad. I should be clearer. What I meant was if you use Heimdall's yellow to throw Black Cat and Vulture up, Vulture will gain aps in all those colours mentioned in his ability, and Black Cat will stun the target for 4 turns when she lands. 
  • BlackBoltRocks
    Options
    My bad. I should be clearer. What I meant was if you use Heimdall's yellow to throw Black Cat and Vulture up, Vulture will gain aps in all those colours mentioned in his ability, and Black Cat will stun the target for 4 turns when she lands. 
    Yup that should be the case. Both of those are explicitly "PASSIVES" that can be independent from the rest of the ability.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    For Magneto, it isn't. So, this is where the surprise and disappointment comes from for some. If that damage portion of Magneto's was passive, C5rol/Polaris and him could be a little broken, damage wise. You could use C5rol's yellow to activate his damage portion, boosted with strike tiles, while using her green ability to destroy strike tiles to gain back yellow ap. Your blue ap is reserved for Polaris to stun the enemy. Waiting for two turns instead to deal 67672 damage isn't a bad deal for 8 yellow ap. It's almost nearing the damage of a level 550 iHulk's red ability. 

Unfortunately, he seems to be at bottom tier now, until there's a new winfinite team that can reduce the turn of airborne characters to zero actively or passively and also generate whatever appropriate ap colours to get the cycle going.

Let's see who's the next 5* at the end of the year.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I confirmed heimdall doesnt activate his blows. Yes magneto is slow. For that he is raising protects, for earning time.

Out of the topic, our posts numbers are freezed. This page is having issues, I guess.
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2020
    Options
    If his blue continues to convert green tiles while he is airborne it would make him a more effective counter to Hulkoye. Just a minor tweak is all it takes to salvage this meh of a character. 

But I also realise at this point I'm beating a dead horse so I'll just put him in the same corner as Emma Frost and Arcangel and move on.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    All these 5*s are underwhelming at 1/1/1 in their PVP events. I guess my personal jury is still out for a completed Magneto, but he really doesn't make me think he'll be as awesome as I wanted him to just based off of play speed at this point.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    His introducing event did nothing to show off any strength he may have. Seems underwhelming in almost every aspect. What a waste.

Next up will probably be a meta defining 5* Cypher.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I was just going through @Daredevil217's 5* rankings. I would go out on a limb and say that IM46 seems superior to Mags.

Let's compare their abilities:

Blue - both cost 10 AP
    This whole thread has been lamenting how rubbish and inefficient Mags' Blue is. @Polares even created a thread requesting a badly-needed buff.

In contrast, IM46's Blue immediately destroys one type of tile and has great cascade potential.

Red - both cost 9 AP
    Mag's Red creates 2 2-turn Repeater tiles. So that's delayed damage. You can get almost 12k damage every 2 turns, and the repeaters can stack (as well as dip on Okoye and Poccy). Still, they're not fortified, and Murphy's Law means they'll get matched away or destroyed before they can tick down more than twice, if at all. And of course they don't tick down when Mags is airborne. This is just a poor ability for 9 Red, especially when you compare it to all the 9 AP Red powers in the tier: Thor, Havok, Jessica, Killmonger.

For IM46, assuming he has no Team Iron Man partners, it only does slightly less than 9k damage, which is poor by 2020 standards. Still, at least that is instant, guaranteed damage. And if you do have Team IM members, it can do up to 25k, which isn't shabby.

Yellow - Mag's costs 6 AP, Tony's costs 12 AP

Ok, here I don't know whose is worse. Mag's tile conversion is random, unlike Rescue's for example. The passive is quite decent, boosting your Protect tiles by a fraction that's dependent on X-Men teammates. Still, Poccy's Red exists, which laughs at this particular passive. Likewise Kitty's Purple. Opposition Polaris, Carbage and Daken will eventually overcome the Protects. And I'm not sure if the Protect tile boost is in effect when Mags is airborne.

For twice the cost, IM46 creates 3 Countdown tiles that do average damage, albeit only after 3 turns, and can prevent him from taking a bunch of damage, especially from AoE or random hits like Poccy, Bill, Thor. Not the worst ability, but expensive at 12 AP. Still, if we're talking mathematics, I'd argue that one cast of IM46's Yellow gives you more ROI than two casts of Mag's Yellow.

In sum: As Red/Blue/Yellow characters who share the same AP costs for two powers, IM46 is generally better. And Tony was released in early 2016, and has laughable match damage (655/582/509) compared to Mags (922/820/718). Daredevil has him ranked as the 3rd-worst 5*. That says it all, really.