*** Spider-Man (Classic) ***

Comments

• 4/5/4, 3/5/5 is perfectly viable. Against Doom, Wolvie, etc. Pretty useful if you ask me. Heal is just a bonus and 2 AP difference isn't a deal breaker.

And I find it funny that you say being hit is a weird requirement. In order to heal, you also need to have gotten hit in the first place.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    I seriously considered putting more than 3 in spider sense, but ultimately, I couldn't justify it. Getting spidey hit for >10% of his health isn't that easy to pull off, unless you're getting hit by some other countdown tile (which, at this point, is often massive damage.)

Generally, it's not terribly difficult to perma-stun the teams. If you can get to around 10-12 blue AP, you're usually in the clear, and the enemy shouldn't get any(/many?) more turns unless you get an unlucky board.
  • Mommson wrote:
    Polkio wrote:
    5/5/3 is the ONLY build icon_e_smile.gif
    Passive saved your day? Just stun maggia goons and clock on tiles will also freeze so why you need purple? To activate purple spidey needs to take damage so this is .... strange tactics

I don't know how long you had to fight with a 5 AP stun but I assure you it's not that easy. If you're lucky you can perma stun one person but 2 at the same time is almost impossible. And these maggia spawn a lot of countdowns...so if you can't keep up with the pace, the burden is lowered with the passive because you only have to take 1 hit and not 2.

I mentioned 5/5/3 build so stun is for 2ap

Personaly I dont use boost - if you use boost you have 6 blue ap
    First stun - 2ap - one maggia stun for one turn
    Second stun - 2ap - 4ap total - second magia stun for TWO turns
    Third stun - 2ap - 6ap total - third magia stun for THREE turns

Now you got one turn to do whatever you want. Probably to gather more blues. And next stun for 2ap stuns maggia for FOUR turns. And you got more and more time to gather blues, get rid of magia tiles, take a coffee ...

You can do what ever you want with your spidey covers. If you want to spend (waste!!!) covers for purple consider 5/3/5.
  • When strike and Attack tiles add up, it's easy to get over 10%. I don't see it reliable for countdowns but it does help. Stuns can already counter countdowns with the new patch. I see it mostly as anti-strike tiles.
  • Polkio wrote:
    Passive saved your day? Just stun maggia goons and clock on tiles will also freeze so why you need purple? To activate purple spidey needs to take damage so this is .... strange tactics

Out of curiosity, do you use heal more then once in a match on average? If not, how often do you think you would not have been able to cast it because you were missing the 2AP difference between a level3 and level5 heal?

If you want to be successful let say in lightning rounds, killing fast and healing quickly is what is you aiming for. I got 5/4/3 now and sometimes I could not gather yellows to heal. Spidey passive is really hard to trigger. If it would trigger let say like storm passive (10% damage to any member of team) I would consider geting more then 3 skills in purple.
  • I think his hp is too much for a support guy and even with heal... 5800 hp is hard to takedown
  • Polkio wrote:

Out of curiosity, do you use heal more then once in a match on average? If not, how often do you think you would not have been able to cast it because you were missing the 2AP difference between a level3 and level5 heal?

I've used Spidey since the start, he is probably my most utilised character since I began. I'd aim to cast heal only once per battle, but if you get smashed early doors it can be a life saver to turn the tide mid way through. Only needing 3 yellow matches minimum is potentially the difference in a bad board game. I was already at 5-5 when the purple skill was released, so I am perfectly content with 5-5-3.

As Nemek says, getting hit for 10% of health is quite a lot at higher levels, 580 at max level 141. You might not be anywhere near that level now, but my advice with any character would be to look at the bigger picture - if you play long enough, you'll be maxing out that character eventually. I've never seen that passive activate.
  • I want to add, that, even if you want to use his purple ability, skill level 3 would be enough, since 3 web tiles are required and with "All tied up" on 5 you only need two blue matches to place those.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    As Nemek says, getting hit for 10% of health is quite a lot at higher levels, 580 at max level 141. You might not be anywhere near that level now, but my advice with any character would be to look at the bigger picture - if you play long enough, you'll be maxing out that character eventually. I've never seen that passive activate.

I will not be rolling with a maxed Spidey for quite some time, so I participate here as a strict armchair general. Never seeing the purple passive activate at level 3 is not terribly surprising I suppose. Spidey needs to be in front, has to be hit for 580, have 3 web tiles down and for it to be useful, have enemy tokens in play. However, I think the key variable there is 3 web tiles and not the 580 damage. I would hypothesize that you would see a lot more activation of the passive if you only needed 1 web tile. Though I suppose if you were playing with boosts, you can start with 3 web tiles on turn 1. Soooo.... who knows?
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    The Ladder wrote:

I will not be rolling with a maxed Spidey for quite some time, so I participate here as a strict armchair general. Never seeing the purple passive activate at level 3 is not terribly surprising I suppose. Spidey needs to be in front, has to be hit for 580, have 3 web tiles down and for it to be useful, have enemy tokens in play. However, I think the key variable there is 3 web tiles and not the 580 damage. I would hypothesize that you would see a lot more activation of the passive if you only needed 1 web tile. Though I suppose if you were playing with boosts, you can start with 3 web tiles on turn 1. Soooo.... who knows?

Possibly. I know when I'm playing with Spidey, it's super rare to ever only have 1 web tile down. If I only have 2 blue AP, and there is more than one opponent left on the field, 99% of the time I wait until I can stun everybody (and then some.) The other 1% is super desperation mode to prolong a special attack by one turn while I hope I can make a match to save the game.
  • I thank everybody for their thoughts about it icon_e_smile.gif I think given the time or takes to get all those covers for him I will max out Blue and whichever I get first icon_razz.gif
  • i had purple activate during the heroic venom tourney, by a tile that went off. it activates and then wipes another tile off the stage.

honestly, very tame and not game changing.
  • forgrim wrote:
    i had purple activate during the heroic venom tourney, by a tile that went off. it activates and then wipes another tile off the stage.

honestly, very tame and not game changing.

I was so surprised to see his purple skill activated in Reinforcements when I attack my opponent. It turned out he had 5 in purple and I stunned him once earlier, so there was a web tile on board.
  • I've currently got a 0/1/3 spidey and picked up a fourth purple today. Would it be a terrible idea to use it? I see that a lot of the comments say that purple is useless and never triggers but presumably they are using 5/5/3. Has anybody actually tried it out at max? I'm thinking that (in theory) it could be fantastic against the one villain with two grunt missions. Taking a hit from an enemy match to kill off a flamethrower of grenade could be pretty lifesaving I'd assume. I'd hate to burn a useable 3star cover but if it is as bad as everyone seems to think I guess I will.
  • Ninjawa wrote:
    I've currently got a 0/1/3 spidey and picked up a fourth purple today. Would it be a terrible idea to use it? I see that a lot of the comments say that purple is useless and never triggers but presumably they are using 5/5/3. Has anybody actually tried it out at max? I'm thinking that (in theory) it could be fantastic against the one villain with two grunt missions. Taking a hit from an enemy match to kill off a flamethrower of grenade could be pretty lifesaving I'd assume. I'd hate to burn a useable 3star cover but if it is as bad as everyone seems to think I guess I will.

Don't do it, if there was some evidence that the game was going to switch to a solo pve style then I'd say... still don't do it. Being able to stun with one blue match and heal for three yellow matches is far more valuable in pve and pvp.

Even if the scenario you described happened 75% of the time I bet you wouldn't have been in that situation with a 5/5/3 to begin with.
  • Thanks for the advice. Now I just need to wait and get another 3* that I can sell off so the 25HP can actually add up to something. No doubt my next 3* will also be a purple spidey icon_lol.gif
  • Even if the scenario you described happened 75% of the time I bet you wouldn't have been in that situation with a 5/5/3 to begin with.
    I think you you have it backwards; prevention -> recovery. Blue and purple both prevent health loss from occuring while yellow recovers it. If you prevent damage, you don't need to heal.
  • My Spiderman is 4/5/4 because I had the same thing with mine, pulled a purple cover when he was still 3/3/3 and couldn't bring myself to sell it. I do wish I had played the long game and waited instead for blues and yellows only, yes the purple *very* occasionally activates in some PVE missions, but I miss out on not being able to heal after only 3 matches *every* mission.
  • Even if the scenario you described happened 75% of the time I bet you wouldn't have been in that situation with a 5/5/3 to begin with.
    I think you you have it backwards; prevention -> recovery. Blue and purple both prevent health loss from occuring while yellow recovers it. If you prevent damage, you don't need to heal.

Purple doesn't really prevent health loss -- it requires you to lose health to activate it, and the tile removed (if any) may not be damaging.

In regards to yellow you're correct, it won't prevent health loss. That (unclear) comment was focused on blue.

But now that we're talking about it I'd rather have three yellow matches heal the whole team over whatever it is that purple does every once in a while.