***** Havok (Classic) *****

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,247 Chairperson of the Boards

I want to know what the "head-rings" are made of.

They look like about the dumbest headwear I can think of for a serious fight.

The enemy grabs them, pulls hard, and snap your neck, or hit you and that metal is driving into your head and knocking you out, probably.

Weren't the 70s great?

(Havok gets a little pass since he's blasting you, hopefully, before you get close enough to hit him.)

I think Havok seems like a fine character, they really do need to let us know if Bishop is on the nerfing block in case anyone is planning to whale Havok to use with Bishop.

• bluewolf

I wonder if the Havok PVP will have his shards in progression.....

Seems crazy, right? But isn't that what we see everywhere? A cover/shards in progression for the essential?

Too bad they don't have time to communicate with us anymore.

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards

If you want to use his blue as much as possible his build should be 5,3,5. Blue will feed red and red will place blue charge tiles on the board. Also green won’t double dip on the target. The enemy has to have special tiles out and he does AOE for each tile destroyed and then additional AOE. It is good for 12K damage and tile removal but is conditional needing the enemy to have special tiles.

i also think you can bring comparable green powers to the fight like Cable, Thor, BRB while Havok’s red does more damage than Thor’s red by a good amount.

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,910 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020

Considering that the linchpin of the latest three characters' skill set is tied to their blue abilities, it would be strange for them to nerf Bishop now, no?

I suppose Beta could survive a Bishop nerf since his blue is cheap and he works well with Kitty, but as far as I am aware there isn't anyone currently better for Mister Sinister or Havok. It would seem in order for them to be relevant, they would need the boosted AP generation and high attack damage to be competitively viable.

I do find the current focus of the dev team to nuclearize blue powers intriguing since traditionally red and green have been the primary damage dealing powers.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards

No idea. I always wondered if they were supposed to collect energy for him or something but that doesn't seem to have any actual basis.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor

@furbear00000

I'm not sure if you mean that costume is uglier than the one they chose or that you would prefer that costume, but IMO that costume is much better than the spaghetti strainer on the head costume they chose to go with

• bluewolf

Bishop/BRB is apparently unbeatable in PVP. I haven't bothered fighting them but one person stated that they floated at 900 for the last half hour of a PVP with them out

BRB does plenty well generating blue on his own without Bishop.

Supposedly they design characters on their own vs trying to make them fit together.....synergy has never been a focus from what I can tell.

Havok's blue is pretty cheap anyway. Sinister has passive trap making abilities.

Nerfing Bishop hardly ruins any of these guys, it just makes them go from "stupidly annoying to unbeatable" to mere-mortal status, which is where it seems they prefer most of the characters to live.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor

Any of these would have been worlds better in my opinion

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards

Jim Lee Headgear/Jacket havok is my favorite look.

I'm going to guess that the headgear served some sort of power-focusing/control function originally in fiction, similar to how Cyclops's goggles allowed him to mechanically control his powers. It could also just have been something in the zeitgeist at the time as a design element, because it's not dissimilar from the Cerebro helmet of old.

I seem to recall the concentric rings on his chest served some sort of amplification function as well. Were his powers sound-based, or am I mis-remembering?

• bluewolf

Hmmm....Apparently the rings on his chest represent how much energy he has stored up. He absorbs ambient cosmic energy 24/7 and then releases it in blasts etc.

Maybe the headgear was a controlling thing, early on he couldn't control his powers in the comics.

• DAZ0273
    edited February 2020

His powers are actually the absorption of cosmic radiation and conversion into blastiness.

I believe the rings on his chest actually monitored his levels of radiation absorbed - from the old handbook Havok needed to discharge radiation absorbed on a regular basis to avoid a massive energy explosion he wouldn't be able to control. However I think as time went by he gained better control of his powers so it was probably more cosmetic.

Edit: Beaten to it! That Bluewolf guy is FAST!

• DAZ0273

I do find it a bit strange that we have a 5* Havok but not a 5* Cyclops.

I guess now we wont be able to have a situation where they are immune to each others powers.

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,910 Chairperson of the Boards

Bishop/BRB are beatable. I hit them rather frequently using Hawkeye/Worthy or Beta/Kitty. I understand you are not a fan of the current meta but it is irresponsible to make claims without actually having any experience and basing your opinion solely on hearsay.

And woah...synergy has never been a focus? So you are telling me Thanos/Black Panther was an accident? Or Kitty happens to have abilities that work well with OML/Phoenix? And how do you explain Professor X's power set?

You ask if Bishop is getting nerfed. The dev team has known that Bishop has been an issue for a certain group of players for months now and have done nothing about it. They then release characters whose competitive viability is strongly enhanced by his ability to generate blue.

You and I both know that without Bishop, Sinister and Havok would simply be Thor/Okoye fodder. From a design standpoint, it would be strange to nerf Bishop now since it would be a significant competitive devaluation.

I don't think you really need the dev team to explain the intent of their design goals. The fact that Havok's abilities counteract Beta Ray's rather than Bishop's speaks volumes on the matter.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards

This response is overly harsh fight4. Bluewolf is obviously a net positive contributor to the boards and has a lot of knowledge of the game, even if you dislike this particular post

That said, BRB/bishop is easy fodder for other stunner bro teams (arguably easier than other meta teams because BRB's tiles make it easier to avoid proc'ing bishop). And Demi certainly does care about synergies; they even hype them in those marvel.com "interviews." But they don't always seem understand synergies, in the same way they don't seem to understand many aspects of the elder game very well at all. A quick glance through the suggested team combos from those marvel.com puff pieces shows a less than perfect understanding of what actually plays well together in mpq.

• ThaRoadWarrior

Havok's powers don't counteract BRB as best I can read it, they in fact seem to make things worse against him. BRB is going to generate green and blue when Havok's way-too-expensive green fires off just as well as if they were matched or destroyed any other way. The only thing that would even remotely make him a counter is if his green 1-shots the fortified countdowns rather than breaks the fortification off of them. Did @IceIX or anyone confirm one way or the other what to expect from that?

• RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker

They do. Work BRB down to around 30K with match damage while denying blue (obv). Then fire Havok's red for 18K since it is not affected by protect tiles, then fire off green for the 12K AoE damage.

Be careful that you have the math right in case his protects reduce the green aoe damage enough for Bill to live through the round - or - if they happen to have less than 3 protects out, your green will deal less team damage.

If Brokenship - I mean Bishop is on the other team then well that stinks.

• ThaRoadWarrior

Match-damage BRB down from ~70k to 30K? Is that fundamentally different than suggesting one do the same thing with anybody else that has a big enough nuke?