***** Mister Sinister (Nathaniel Essex) *****

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    himatako said:
    Reading his purple again and I just realized that you have to match those Trap tiles to activate the AP steal/destruction effect. You only create one Trap tile! it's going to be difficult to match them when it really matters :( 

AP steal/destruction is mainly to stop the opponent from firing their key active powers. I'd have preferred it activating automatically if at the start of your turn, the opponent has 7 or more AP in the Trap tile's color. Otherwise, this Trap is pretty much useless and it's just there to boost his blue power damage.
    This is why I think that power is for WCap - it'll get matched during all those cascades, and since the board is getting flooded with the red/blue that matters, it will ideally steal those colors and negate the AP gain from Hawkeye if it works.
    I'd like to know what team you envision running with Sinister vs worthy.....and what team are you taking on?  Worthy/HE?  Just curious.  I like running Worthy/Rocket/Carol vs 5s.  It would be interesting to see how it worked vs Sinister, he does block dmg until he runs out of black.  Cascades could be problematic.

I don't really think he's designed as a Worthy counter exactly, but he could serve that purpose.  I already have Okoye/Strange/Bishop (for now, anyway) but maybe he'd be an option.

Did we ever verify whether his traps fire when he's stunned?
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    himatako said:
    Reading his purple again and I just realized that you have to match those Trap tiles to activate the AP steal/destruction effect. You only create one Trap tile! it's going to be difficult to match them when it really matters :( 

AP steal/destruction is mainly to stop the opponent from firing their key active powers. I'd have preferred it activating automatically if at the start of your turn, the opponent has 7 or more AP in the Trap tile's color. Otherwise, this Trap is pretty much useless and it's just there to boost his blue power damage.
    For his purple at level 3 he creates 2 trap tiles and steals if the opponent has 5 AP not 7.  In PVP you would probably still run at level 3 but in PVE you might run at level 5 which would steal at the 3 AP instead of 5 and creates 3 trap tiles.  

An interesting partner for him could also be Vulture or 3* IM to help pump out more blue for trap tiles. Could be a nasty combo in PVE
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020
    bluewolf said:
    himatako said:

This is why I think that power is for WCap - it'll get matched during all those cascades, and since the board is getting flooded with the red/blue that matters, it will ideally steal those colors and negate the AP gain from Hawkeye if it works.
    I'd like to know what team you envision running with Sinister vs worthy.....and what team are you taking on?  Worthy/HE?  Just curious.  I like running Worthy/Rocket/Carol vs 5s.  It would be interesting to see how it worked vs Sinister, he does block dmg until he runs out of black.  Cascades could be problematic.

I don't really think he's designed as a Worthy counter exactly, but he could serve that purpose.  I already have Okoye/Strange/Bishop (for now, anyway) but maybe he'd be an option.

Did we ever verify whether his traps fire when he's stunned?
    I see Worthy/Hawkeye/Jessica quite often, sometimes JJ is swapped out for 5trange or a very high leveled Peggy. JJ works well though because she won't burn the blue on defense and the cascades created by all that red/blue have a very high probability of stumbling into compromising photos. 

I'm not necessarily envisioning actually using Sinister against that team, just saying that I suspect that power was supposed to be "for" that team as a counter. I would maybe try it with Chavez, but I'm pessimistic it would actually work as intended. But it is real that making a single 5* match against CapHawk fills them up with 30/30 red and blue AP, and then those characters all fire off loads of powers, so as long as Sinister didn't make the match himself, he'll be hemmoraging traps off that purple. If they did bring JJ to the fight, you'll get a freebie from her as well.

Maybe Doom/Vulture, pull in that black and keep yourself blue-fed if you can.
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    wymtime said:
    himatako said:

For his purple at level 3 he creates 2 trap tiles and steals if the opponent has 5 AP not 7.  In PVP you would probably still run at level 3 but in PVE you might run at level 5 which would steal at the 3 AP instead of 5 and creates 3 trap tiles.  

An interesting partner for him could also be Vulture or 3* IM to help pump out more blue for trap tiles. Could be a nasty combo in PVE
    Oops. You're right. I thought it's only the threshold that keeps reducing as the cover level goes up but apparently he creates more trap tiles too. We'll have to see in practice how often can we match these tiles then.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Any more players that have tried him in the wild now that his token store is live?  How does he play in practice?
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, he’s one I’m having trouble placing myself. He seems like a very high variance character, who in any given match can be your MVP or do nothing, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see reports on him vary based on user anecdotal experience.

I believe at minimum, he could be a monster if trap tiles become more of a thing in the five star tier.  One you champ now and reap the rewards of later with a future 5* partner. Sort of how I believe Wasp’s time will come when 5* Pym does a bunch of crazy passive stuff when swarm tiles are out. And Archangel’s time will come when the next offensive meta character is all about going airborne.  
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, he’s one I’m having trouble placing myself. He seems like a very high variance character, who in any given match can be your MVP or do nothing, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see reports on him vary based on user anecdotal experience.

I believe at minimum, he could be a monster if trap tiles become more of a thing in the five star tier.  One you champ now and reap the rewards of later with a future 5* partner. Sort of how I believe Wasp’s time will come when 5* Pym does a bunch of crazy passive stuff when swarm tiles are out. And Archangel’s time will come when the next offensive meta character is all about going airborne.  
    Oh, man....how cool would it have been if one of the non-descript trap tiles sent you Airborne and did damage, and you could run Archie with Sinister.  It's not too late for a re-work!

Dear devs, please make Sinistarch happen.

Thank you.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    Y'know if Mister Sinister was really that cunning he wouldn't call himself Mister Sinister would he? He would call himself something like "Mister Fluffikins". I mean when Mister Sinister goes "Bwah ha ha, marvel at my amazing trap!" I am not in the slightest bit surprised and have already called the FBI and the X-Men. But when Mr. Fluffikins does that? Bam! He sure fooled me!

To me, "Mister Sinister" sounds lake a stage name for a dancer in a strip club run by Emma Frost.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well I will say this with CL10 PVE scaling the way it does Mr Sinister Black is not looking to bad at all.  
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    His blue power is quite hard to trigger but his purple goes nuts all over the place. Sadly I have no black cover.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Is it hard to trigger because knowing generally where those traps land is impractical? Seems like a passive (or active) board shaker would really help. There are a few notables in the 5 (GE Doom, Thor, X) and 4* (Main Event, Chavez) tiers I'd probably experiment with once I start seeing some covers for him. I also think he'd fit in pretty nicely with Hawkeye/WCap as well. Much like Jessica Jones, it seems like the name of his game might be cascade chaos.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    5* Storm comes to mind:
    1) Targeted coloured tiles destruction
    2) Creates chosen colour of your choice
    3) Boosts black ap gain with charged black tiles tiles.

Depending on the board, you can use either 1 or 2 first.

Coulson and Quicksilver might work too.
  • DAZ0273
    edited February 2020
    Is it hard to trigger because knowing generally where those traps land is impractical? Seems like a passive (or active) board shaker would really help. There are a few notables in the 5 (GE Doom, Thor, X) and 4* (Main Event, Chavez) tiers I'd probably experiment with once I start seeing some covers for him. I also think he'd fit in pretty nicely with Hawkeye/WCap as well. Much like Jessica Jones, it seems like the name of his game might be cascade chaos.

Board shakers definitely help. I only messed around in TBE but I'll bring a Black Bolt team-up next time and boost his powers and check out black. Doom's board shuffle might be decent too. When it does fire he fires a laser beam out of his forehead which doesn't resemble any super power I ever remember Sinister having, it is a little weird.

My Hawkeye is an astounding 0/1/0 so wont be trying that team any time this millenium.
  • DAZ0273
    BRB made a pretty fun partner for Sinister, you can sort of alternate who needs to have blue but you can match shields and traps for multiple fun. I tried Doom with but yellow was hard to come by and so didn't shuffle the board as much as would have been ideal but he would be fairly solid l think.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I just found a champed lvl 451 Sinister in simulator, he was matched with CapHawk. I brought in 50thor (2/0/2, #sad)/Okoye/Iceman just to see what would happen. Let me tell y'all, this CapHawk duo puts in work lol. Somehow Sinister did nothing until it was down to the very end, then he finally did his blue and managed to find all his traps to finish off my stunlocked team. I'm curious how good he "really" is, vs just mopping up after Stunbro #2
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2020

Sinister entering Latest Legends tomorrow? Thursday?

@IceIX

EDIT: Mister Sinister is IN Latest Legends as of around 9a.m. ET, Tuesday the 25th.

• DAZ0273

I suspect that he is going to be very hit and miss. Traps are always a risky proposition but at least his can be matched by either team so it doubles your chances.

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have sinister champ at 451. I been using him with Bishop (since bishop is OP in generating blue). I can spam sinister “behold” quite quickly and can often one hit ko a character. 

Getting a lot of defence wins but I suspect it’s because of the god mode buff. 

He plays differently as you are trying to match his traps. So on hops he is too slow. But I like how he make me play MPQ more deliberately.