Events

starfall
starfall Posts: 1,727 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2019 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I'd like to take a minute to appreciate an area of the game where it really seems like Oktagon are trying to give the players what they want at the moment; and that is events.

WAR has brought with it no less than FOUR new events. Is this unprecedented?

RAW features Block Format, brand new in a coalition event and finally a tiny slice of the game where we can get away from BSZ. It also reintroduces rotating node colors, something Terror In The Shadows used to do, but which has been lost to time until now (although I suppose HoD does something a little similar with rotating PWs). There's a separate thread for the Green and White versions of the event.

Role Reversal seems to have really polarised opinion here on the forum; some people really hate it and others seem to love it. I guess in that case, for a small, optional event, you could call it a success?

The Elderspark has been something of a misstep (I put 'failure' in to a thesaurus and that seemed to be the most even-handed word that came out), but it's early days on that one, I expect the team will make a slew of changes to it!

And, of course, we have yet to play Planechasing Fblthp.

While it's no secret I have strong negative feelings about many aspects of the game right now, this is certainly an area in which I am glad the team is investing time, and I look forward to more in the future (and, of course, crucially, fixing the mistakes in these and other existing events! New content is only great when it works!)

Comments

• Gabrosin
    Gabrosin Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Agreed on this, I've loved having new events to tackle after having so few for so long.  Even for Elderspark, there's a lot of good stuff there.  Like being given a delicious cake but then forced to eat the whole thing yourself.

• greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    I'm in total agreement.  I'm glad there some new events.  I was starting to get bored playing the same events over and over and over again. It's nice to play some different cards instead of your staple cards all the time.  
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2019
    That's a very fair point, they have shown lots of creative work recently, in terms of events but also in terms of game mechanics and cards design.
    Being creative and innovative is probably the hardest part of the job and they are definitely good at it ... It's too bad the recent decrease in quality of life overshadowed the feedback on this fundamental aspect of the Devs work and its nothing but justice to give them a kudos on that.
  • Avahad
    Avahad Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    I’m not interested in the alt art BUT I’ll be buying the mythic ones I don’t own with golds rather than taking the gamble on them with pinks.....
  • Firstofhisname419
    Firstofhisname419 Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    starfall said:
    I have to say that Planechasing Fblthp is barely an event. 3 games in Legacy against the same lvl 40 PW. I breezed through the games so quickly each time it's been run that I couldn't even tell you what any of the cards were in his deck.

It's less of an event and more of an interactive advert, a set of buttons you must press to be able to buy some more cards.

Perhaps it's not for intended advanced players? That seems unlikely. Only players with large collections will get full advantage from the non-dupe Legacy pack, and only players with currency to spare will want the alt art cards.
    I think it's a fine event.  It seems to be an add-on, rather than taking the place of something else.  It's a quick-hitter of an event (18-20 hours?) with a really good prize (non-dupe legacy pack) for a relatively small amount of work.  It also opens up the ability to buy a vanguard for golds rather than gambling with pinks.  Overall satisfied with the addition.