RAW - Glory Event Feedback

Options
mrixl2520
mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
Event was fine, nothing that new or exciting. My one main critique is I played probably 20 games and I didn't see the indestructible support do its thing (make angel tokens I think) even once. Everyone was playing decks to maximize their progression points which didn't overlap with getting the support to work at all. 

Comments

• Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I had 3 builds that specifically took advantage of that event support and it worked for me every time I pushed for it.
    I was lucky enough to pull the Ajani vanguard last week and mashed it's 2nd ability every round, along with ancillary means of healing, to bolster that event support.  Most of the time I was able to trigger the 10 angel tokens.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I liked the event. Rewards were meh, but otherwise, it was fun. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jtwood said:
    I liked the event. Rewards were meh, but otherwise, it was fun. 
    I love this response.  So much of the criticism has been over the rewards, not the gameplay.

And sure, the rewards suck.  Like, really really suck.

But I have no issues with the event design otherwise.  I am curious how they'll handle the other colors, though.  Those finales are a bit less intuitive for how to make them into node supports.
  • soultwist
    soultwist Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Mburn7 said:

But I have no issues with the event design otherwise.  I am curious how they'll handle the other colors, though.  Those finales are a bit less intuitive for how to make them into node supports.
    Other supports are listed here for upcoming events:

https://wiki.mtgpq.info/wiki/Ravnica_at_War

• Mcclaine
    Mcclaine Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Options
    Perhaps it was the heavy reliance on gem converters in my usual decks, or the fact that greg consistently went for my animist awakening gems and/or cascaded into a creature on turn 2, but I was frustrated to some extent.
    Block constructed, as a concept is something I enjoy in other online mtg games and look forward to building decks that will work for this event.
    As others have stated, the rewards did not seem worth the effort overall and losing a couple games pushing me into the mid hundreds(at the very least) just compounded this.
  • tfg76
    tfg76 Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I also like the event itself, and if this is the direction the game is headed (each set comes with a bunch of PvPs with some small variations), I'm all for it. I also like block constructed, but second that Proliferate is horrible (the effect does nothing, and the cards are overcosted to begin with), which means making that objective is a bit of a bore. I like Amass though. The worst thing, as already stated, is the combination of bad end time and short recharge, requiring play between midnight and 04:00, which I'm not going to stay up for, coalition or not, especially with the meager personal rewards.

Not sure why they can't simply give us 12-16 hours of play after the last charge of any event? Would solve so many problems.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I honestly can't remember anything about the event. I neither created a deck that took advantage of the support, nor did I ever see a the support activated. Ultimately, I felt like it was fine but boring. 
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I liked the set restrictions and secondary objectives of RAW and the concept was intuitive . But the grind and bad reward kill all the fun of an otherwise good event.
    To me you have less probability in losing a game in raw than in hod.

• Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    starfall said:
    Theros said:
    That's a bold statement! Do you care to elaborate on that? Do you mean, losing a single point in HOD, or a whole game?
    Losing the whole game since the set is very restricted. You do not expect a sudden death or worry about leeches and what have you.
    In fact, the objectives in RAW are even easier than HOD, to me at least
  • soultwist
    soultwist Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    starfall said:
    Theros said:
    That's a bold statement! Do you care to elaborate on that? Do you mean, losing a single point in HOD, or a whole game?
    I don't think it's very bold, I went perfect in RAW - Glory and have never been anywhere close to that in HoD.  Probably depends on what legacy cards you have/don't have.

• BigSwifty
    BigSwifty Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Options
    I liked it.
  • James13
    James13 Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Options
    We need less 3k placement bracket events.  But otherwise fine.
  • wickedwitch74
    wickedwitch74 Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Set restrictions were very nice, and caused me to think about deck building for once!

Would also love to see some PW Restrictions on the nodes too, something in-line with the overall story of the set.

The secondaries were obtainable, and since I didn't have to worry about getting trounced by some looping strategy, I was able to hit most of them.

My score was very good, but because of the huge bracket size, I was left with paltry rewards. Overall, the rewards for this event were poor.

I do like offering up card exclusives as prizes, but I feel like this event would be better served by offering up Vanguard Supports as exclusives. Currently, there is only one way to obtain Vanguards (using purples), and with the possibility of getting a duplicate, I, for one, will not be chasing these cards.

Making some of those Vanguards as exclusive rewards would be a great way to make the event more exciting and get people playing them more.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Bil said:
    As far as I'm concerned i'd say it is the worst coalition event we've ever had ... On each and every aspect, it is worse  than any other.

1) progression rewards are low ... Very few jewels and/or crystals ... And a lot of the set cards remain unavailable in the boosters we get.

2)  personal ranking rewards are almost an insult ... No crystals, 5 jewels for top 5 in platinum ... While it costs 300 pinks to pull a dupe vanguard.

3) the 6 hours recharge is abusive ... Event doesnt look grindy at first sight with 3 nodes ... But the refresh rate makes it as grindy as any 5 nodes event ... 

4) the secundaries are boring, in particular when they rely on WAR new mechanics, because those cards are either underpowered or overcosted ... underplaying your deck in each and every node in order to avoid killing too fast is not a fun experience.

5) The last refresh 4 hours before the end of the event instead of 6 ... Seriously .... Being forced to play on a monday morning beetween 00:00 and 04:00 is already extremely annoying ... Just imagine how players feel when they know they'll just get 5 jewels for it.

Honestly ... I have played every weekend event for years and i wouldn't bother playing this one if it wasn't for the coalition effort ... at least over progression.

This. Event was horridly bad for additional reasons as well; but not going out of my way to elaborate. 
  • greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I totally agree with what had been said.  Rewards were not the best but I did like the restrictions.  Just need to tweak the rewards. I personally liked the blocked restrictions because it forced me to use cards I wouldn't normally would have used.

• Boogeyman
    Boogeyman Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Options
    3) the 6 hours recharge is abusive ... Event doesnt look grindy at first sight with 3 nodes ... But the refresh rate makes it as grindy as any 5 nodes event ... 

I agree, so many fights after individual rewards was very grindy and not very rewarding, especially when I only lost once and was placed 100+, therefore received paltry rewards.