***** Iceman (Bobby Drake) *****

Comments

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited July 2019
    *Updated article to reflect that there have been some minor tweaks to Iceman's Icemen (Green) ability. 

Icemen now creates fewer Repeater tiles, however deals more random enemy and enemy team damage per tile. For those interested in the difference in damage, please find the calculations below:

Old Ability
    • 2,225 damage every 2 turns for each Repeater Tiles. 6 * 2,225 = 13,350 damage
    • 1,836 damage to enemy team when Repeater Tile is destroyed. 6 * 1,836 = 11,016 damage
    New Ability
    • 2,799 damage every 2 turns from each Repeater Tiles. 5 * 2,799 = 13,995 damage
    • 2,315 damage to enemy team when Repeater Tile is destroyed. 5 * 2,315 = 11,575 damage
    //Edited because grammar is a thing -Brigby
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Brigby said:
    *Updated article to reflect that there have been some minor tweaks to Iceman's Icemen (Green) ability. 

Icemen now creates less Repeater tiles, however deals more random enemy and enemy team damage per tile. For those interested in the difference in damage, please find the calculations below:

Old Ability
    • 1,836 damage to enemy team when Repeater Tile is destroyed. 6 * 1,836 = 11,016 damage
    New Ability
    • 2,799 damage every 2 turns from each Repeater Tiles. 5 * 2,799 = 13,995 damage
    • 2,315 damage to enemy team when Repeater Tile is destroyed. 5 * 2,315 = 11,575 damage
    The changes are understood, 5 is still quite a bit, 6 was crazy. Obviously would have preferred the additional repeater but balancing the damage seems fair. 
    Can't wait to see him in action!
    Wave nodes are going to be hilarious.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:

Icemen now creates fewer Repeater tiles, however deals more random enemy and enemy team damage per tile. For those interested in the difference in damage, please find the calculations below:

Old Ability
    New Ability
    //Edited because grammar is a thing -Brigby
    Nerf to Icekoye. Which I think is better to do now than after he drops and people start covering him. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    JFisch said:
    Brigby said:
    Icemen now creates less Repeater tiles

I know this is a trigger grammar issue for you, but I like how you skipped right past the pluralization of "Icemen"...

Probably because that's the name of his green power and it's supposed to be plural. "Icemen now creates fewer Repeater tiles." is correct. (see previous line which explains "Iceman's Icemen (Green) ability")
  • RickOShay
    edited July 2019
    Lots of people saying 3/5/5 default build which I think will be the way to go quite often.
    But, if you are playing him with Okoye you may be losing quite a bit of damage over time if you don't run his yellow at level 5. 
    I know how hard I try to keep Okoye in front so that she doesn't deplete 1 TU. She adds roughly 1400 damage for each TU onto ability damage in my case. I think I'm going to want Iceman to deplete just 2 TU AP when he defends instead of 3 each time. (Think enemy Jessica's traps, Thor always get 9 red so easily against you somehow, etc.)

Add this up, when all of his repeaters trigger, every other turn, that could be 1400 x 5 or more, especially if you get the AOE damage from matching a repeater. 

This could be huge in battles against Kitty & Grocket teams. His defend could be triggering each turn and depleting 2 TU each time. That will have severe costs toward the damage we are used to Okoye adding.

This concern may differ greatly in normal PvP (where we can only choose 2 characters) compared to SIM where we can choose a 3rd teammate. 

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm really curious what he'll look like vs Kitty. That yellow may be a huge liability when she starts nibbling solo countdowns. his repeaters will be immune at least.
  • RickOShay
    edited July 2019
    I'm really curious what he'll look like vs Kitty. That yellow may be a huge liability when she starts nibbling solo countdowns. his repeaters will be immune at least.
    When Iceman has 1 countdown remaining on the board and Kitty's repeater will destroy it for damage, will he not just block that damage and create a new CD? 

**BTW, watch out for Kitty red when Icemen is running. All those ticks of damage creating 3 attack tiles each... 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I guess it depends on how you have it set and how high the strikes have climbed?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    It also depends on the number of teamup you have as well. I think Gritty is going to drain a lot of teamup ap which the players are going to find it difficult to keep up with.

The % of teamup falling is much lower, unless you can consistently create or match teamup tile. Secondly, his blue passive is going to kick in automatically, which means there's a 20% chance of Kitty overriding your yellow countdown tile, due to 4 additional CD being put on the board. So, you have to find a way to remove the yellow countdown tile reliably by matching or some other method, or Iceman will eat some damage.
  • captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 236 Tile Toppler
    I think the only real way he will work well with Okoye is if he is underleveled.  Match damage-wise, at 450 he would take both yellow and teamups away from her.
  • RickOShay
    I think the only real way he will work well with Okoye is if he is underleveled.  Match damage-wise, at 450 he would take both yellow and teamups away from her.
    Not TU, Okoye boosts her own TU damage by up to 90%, which will always be higher than any other 5* at similar or reasonably close levels.
  • RickOShay
    edited July 2019
    Glad they are dropping the requirement that the targeted ally must have taken 'enough' damage for Iceman to then prevent further damage. 

Quick note, his updated yellow seems to play the Defender CD on a random color, no longer specifically placed on a yellow tile. 

*Edited comment to reflect proper understanding of what is changing.
  • bundles87
    bundles87 Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Do we have an answer yet for how his shield deals with AOE? Another random question I had was, if you run him with Thanos and you have his purple tile on the board how does Iceman's yellow work?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Any early adopters have him champed yet? I'm not buying in to his release store, and haven't seen any in the wild.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    Excellent videos, thanks. Yeah he doesn’t look all that great but I think he’s just a bit of a half thor scarecrow. I know he doesn’t hit hard without okoye but I still wouldn’t risk some cumulative small AOE against my thor on climbing.

I think he’s a skip for me unless someone finds a better use for him.