***** Iceman (Bobby Drake) *****

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited July 2019 in Character Details
Hi Everyone,

"From teaching young mutants at the Xavier Institute to getting into the world of dating after years in the closet, Bobby Drake is doing his best to have it all.

With his Omega-level powers of ice manipulation and dad jokes, Iceman fights to make the world a safer place for humans and mutants alike to co-exist as they truly are."

Check out the brand new 5-Star Iceman, and find out how you can recruit him onto your roster!

5-Star Rarity (Epic)
Heroes, X-Men
yellowtilepng greentilepng bluetilepng

(Abilities listed at level 450)
62,083 Health
yellowtilepng 817 | greentilepng 726 | bluetilepng 635 |  404 |  104 | blacktilepng 96 | purpletilepng 88 |  3.5x

Champion Defender
 -  yellowtilepng Passive
If an enemy would deal more than 8428 damage and you have at least 3 Team-Up AP, Iceman protects his friends with an ice wall stronger than steel. Prevents 8428 damage, drains 3 friendly Team-Up AP, and creates a 2-turn Yellow Countdown tile that does 8428 damage to Iceman.
  • Level 2: ...deal more than 9724 damage...Prevents 9724 damage...Countdown tile that does 9724 damage to Iceman.
  • Level 3: ...and creates a 3-turn Yellow Countdown tile...
  • Level 4: ...deal more than 10503 damage...Prevents 10503 damage...4-turn Countdown tile that does 10503 damage...
  • Level 5: ...deal more than 9076 damage and you have at least 2 Team-Up AP...Prevents 9076 damage, drains 2 friendly Team-Up AP...Countdown tile that does 9076 damage...
Icemen - 7 greentilepng AP *New Update*
Bobby Drake's been a hero since before he was old enough to shave, but today he's got to be tw-ice the man he was. Creates 3 2-turn Repeater tiles that deal 2477 damage to a random enemy. When you destroy one of these tiles, Iceman deals 2049 damage to the enemy team.
  • Level 2: ...Repeater tiles that deal 2650 damage...Iceman deals 2192 damage to the enemy team.
  • Level 3: ...Repeater tiles that deal 2799 damage...Iceman deals 2315 damage to the enemy team.
  • Level 4: Creates 4 2-turn Repeater tiles...
  • Level 5: Creates 5 2-turn Repeater tiles...
On Ice - bluetilepng Passive
What's cooler than being cool? Being frozen solid. At the start of your turn, if you have at least 4 Blue AP, drains 4 of it and places 4 3-turn Blue Countdown tiles. If you destroy one of these tiles, Iceman freezes the target, stunning them for 1 turn or, if they're already Stunned, adding 1 turn to their stun.
  • Level 2: ...places 4 4-turn Blue Countdown tiles.
  • Level 3: ...places 4 5-turn Blue Countdown tiles.
  • Level 4: ...places 4 6-turn Blue Countdown tiles.
  • Level 5: ...if you have at least 3 Blue AP, drains 3 of it...

Recruit Iceman!

Ice Age - Special Legendary Store
  • Starts: 7/18/19, 12:00pm ET
  • Ends: 7/23/19, 12:00am ET
  • 15% chance to get Iceman (Bobby Drake), Wolverine (Old Man Logan), or Archangel (Classic)
  • Additional Tokens can be purchased for 25 Command Points
Bobby Drake - Special Limited Vault
  • Ends: 7/23/19, 12:00am ET
  • 40 Items: 
    • 1x Ice Age Legendary Token
    • 1x Professor X (Charles Xavier) Blue Cover
    • 3x Random 3-Star Covers
    • 6x Heroic Tokens
    • 4x 2,500 Iso-8
    • 6x 1,000 Iso-8
    • 5x 500 Iso-8
    • 14x 2-Star Covers

Event Schedule

Spider-Man vs Sinister Six - Alliance Event
  • Ends: 7/22/19, 12:00am ET
  • Rewards Tokens to the Ice Age Legendary cover store
What do you think is Iceman's best build? Vote down below!

***** Iceman (Bobby Drake) ***** 57 votes

5/5/3
21%
zonatahunty4747zodiac339max5esqPtahhotepWarbeast_7marvel075MrEd95Mrmjchess1RazuhluinippyZeofar 12 votes
5/4/4
3%
Momo988Kletvar 2 votes
5/3/5
3%
afthabFeliz 2 votes
4/5/4
3%
Nikita-KBugeyed 2 votes
4/4/5
1%
Kolence 1 vote
3/5/5
66%
Yasuruatomzedwymtimerdevil32Pongierdvargas1tiomonoMalcrofhalirinLLohmSNKAllenMirrorKnightMushroomGenius808BorstockReecohAnonSt_BernadusPalookavilleABaker84Hilk 38 votes

Comments

• max5esq
    max5esq Posts: 56 Match Maker
    5/5/3
    Green looks very interesting, not loving the blue it requires a match to be effective, His yellow is intriguing and with a good tile remover could be very valuable.  Not loving all these repeater powers they are putting out.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2019
    3/5/5
    That yellow might just be the worst power in the game. I'm assuming the thought was Gritty counter early game. 

That green could be devastating, though. 

I have to see blue in action before I rate it. It's bizarre that it's a passive. 
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    3/5/5
    So at level 5 on his yellow it takes less teamup tiles but is also less effective for 1500 points of damage?
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    That...is a weird power set. I have no idea what to think about it, except that I like that you get something when you're stuck matching your own Repeaters away, and that it spams them, so some might actually activate. And at least the art is a vast improvement over his 4* version.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:
    So at level 5 on his yellow it takes less teamup tiles but is also less effective for 1500 points of damage?
    A lower threshold is better, though.  You want the trigger damage to be lower.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blue looks like something else that'll go very nicely with Bishop.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2019
    3/5/5
    bluewolf said:
    tiomono said:
    A lower threshold is better, though.  You want the trigger damage to be lower.
    Sure but the higher threshold is also blocking more damage. It just seems odd that it ramps up with more covers until you hit 5 then it lowers to between the equivalent 1 and 2 covers on it.

Overall I'm not sure what to think on this one. He is just gonna get paired with thorkoye to spam abuse his green so thor can just continually destroy them doing fast chip damage to the enemy team instead of saving up for thors green. And his yellow will stop gritty damage early with thor just popping the health draining countdown so there is literally no downside. He will drain a bit of teamup though so he is not perfectly suited to them, but they definitely will be played together. I dont feel thorkoye needed that much more help beating gritty but maybe I'm wrong.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 491 Mover and Shaker
    I still don't have a Storm yet (after easily 30+ pulls trying to get one in both her release tokens and now Latest tokens).  
    The nearly back to back Rescue & Storm releases were bad enough.
    These 5 Stars are being released WAY too fast, with no noticeable increase in ways to get them...
  • ABaker84
    ABaker84 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    3/5/5
    Purple is still over wondering what it did to tick off the devs

Nice save with the repeaters, though.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    3/5/5
    I can see 4,5,4 or 3,5,5 for a build.  From a 5* perspective 10k damage is not that much from an enemy power the big difference in blue is getting those CD is starting the CD with 3 blue AP.  His green fro 7 AP doing 13k damage every 2 turns is solid too for a repeater tile.  Also since when they are matched Iceman will do damage makes it feel like the repeaters will be worth it.  

With his stun I think we might have found a new meta 5* or at least someone we will think twice about when attacking him.  I see him pairing really well with a lot of other 5* too.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    On first glance, I'm not sure what to make of him. Upon further inspection though, he seems underwhelming. His only damage ability is slow and without Okoye assistance is weak. The blue and yellow are kinda meh. In a world where big fast damage is king, Iceboy doesn't excite.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will try to get a cover for him... and then maybe not any more.

Not feeling these mechanics on ol' Bobby.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *Added update about Champion Defender's ability details during its initial launch in R182
  • AlexNapalm
    AlexNapalm Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Such a nightmare with Bishop.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    ABaker84 said:
    Purple is still over wondering what it did to tick off the devs

Nice save with the repeaters, though.
    Haha, yes.
    Actually we need an Active Ability character in Blue & Purple.
    Dr. Strange doesn't count, never really get use from his purple.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2019
    Thoughts on Iceman:
    Yellow: Awful. I like the creativity behind this skill but in practice it seems tricky to pull off on paper and ultimately not all that useful.  The amount of times that you'll have Iceman tank a bit hit, only to win the match next turn and avoid that damage altogether seems low.
    Green: Above Average.   This skill is extremely tough to judge.  7AP is very low and 6 repeaters pestering the board represents a LOT of potential damage happening slowly over time.   I get that these only deal enemy AoE when YOU match it...so consider 3 of these 6 repeaters dead drops due to enemy matching and line matches destroying them.   Of the remaining 3, 1 or 2 will likely settle on the board in a place where people can't deal with them...and these will just pepper 2k damage each every couple of turns.  Meanwhile you are bound to match at least 1 of these dealing the AOE damage to the enemy team.   Is 7 AP worth it to deal 4k +2k AOE minimum in two turns +4K every other two turns?   Sure!  I guess.  Sometimes it'll play out quite a bit better than that after all.
    Blue: Average. Another very tough skill to judge.   What makes me second guess this skill is the spam potential and the very low cost to trigger it.  4 CD's probably makes it easy to trigger one...but as soon as you flood another 4 on the board you'll have strong stun potential I would think.  All of this happening passively is a nice bonus.  The thing is...timing is important with stuns and this is essentially random in terms of when you'll land them.  That element could be all it takes to drop this from Average to as low as awful.  I doubt it'll be truly great even with a blue generating machine like Bishop helping you along.   You'd rather just spend AP on skills at that point.  
    Overall:  3/5/5 build without question.   I don't think we're looking at a meta character here.  Green active fights against Thor.  I don't immediately see a duo partner that screams PvP killer.  Nothing here is impressive from a PvE standpoint.  The green and blue, while interesting, come across as too random or too slow to have a serious impact....even with the really low entry costs.  So all we're left with is a potential 3rd for existing teams.  Which basically lumps Iceman along side a long list of mid-tier/lower mid-tier characters.  I'm ready to be super wrong about this one though...these skills are tough to judge and this character just floods the board with stuff at low or no cost.  The potential for something greater is there.
  • Zeofar
    Zeofar Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    5/5/3
    I expect him to be meta or meta-adjacent. This kit is no joke.
  • Gold_Dragon
    Gold_Dragon Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    This toolset looks hella intriguing. I wonder if he blocks team damage with the yellow. It doesn’t really say. So if you add a 3000 damage to a team, it’s over the 8488 threshold and Bobby negates it. Plenty of time time to wipe it out too. 

Those green repeaters are a lot. Up to 6. Tack that with Okoye. Yeah. That’s trouble. And it’s cheap. 

The part of blue that’s intriguing is that it tacks onto stun time. 

I cant wait to try him out. There’s lots of potential here. 
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    This kit is so interesting, in that he's not really great as a solo, but it's all about how you use him in a team.

At minimum, he's a very strong third. A passive (though pretty bad) damage block makes him slightly annoying. But his passive blue has some really good scarecrow potential. Just about no one in 5* land uses blue, so just one accidental blue match, and you've got stun countdowns on the board. On offense, that's not super important. But it'll be annoying as heck in the hands of the AI.

I actually really like the idea of him being the 3rd to Thorkoye. Using Thor to gather green and spam Iceman's green seems pretty amazing, because then you can focus on Okoye gathering TU and wrecking face. If you cast his green and then make a single match with 2 repeater riles, you instantly get to double dip Okoye's black damage to the whole enemy team. Would I take 1.8 casts of Iceman's green over 1 cast of Thor's on that team? For sure.

Potential shenanigans with 5* Hawkeye? Though the 5-turn countdowns are probably too slow.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was thinking of 5* Hawkeye or Green Goblin to fortify those tiles but it's going to hurt him more than help him. But 5* Hawkeye's gonna love these countdown tiles.

This guy is about board destruction. His additional damage or stun does not trigger on matching. It's not easy to team him up with a five star that can destroy a big portion of the board.