Player Level and Card Experience (2/25/19)

Options

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Mburn7 said:
    Thank you for the response Brigby (finally)!

But I still don't understand why you (the team, not you specifically) can't just give everyone the actual amount of xp they earned up until now.

If you are worried that some players will have "too high" levels, then JUST CHANGE THE LEVELING CURVE

The amount of xp needed to level up stops increasing at level 41 (it remains at a flat 6500 xp per level).  If that number continued increasing (as it should) than the difference between players at the high end would be much lower.  If you are worried about players being unable to level up past a certain point and then missing out on stuff (which is a valid concern), make it flatten out at a higher value at a higher level (maybe 10000 xp at level 60 or something).

Artificially setting player levels will by definition screw some people over, no matter how you do it.  If you would just give out the xp that everyone deserves and tune the leveling curve (which still has not been officially released yet, btw), this whole issue would immediately go away.  Seriously, its that easy.
    I do recall hearing that one of the reasons changing the leveling curve wouldn't be ideal is because of what you stated: level progression slowing down dramatically, and players being unable to earn rewards at a decent pace

Now, I'm no developer, but wouldn't flattening it out at a higher value just simply delay this issue until X amount of months/years down the road?
    That is a fair point, but it wouldn't be as significant of an issue at a higher value, since it would still take longer to reach each level.  6500xp can be reached in ~20 matches (a little less actually).  That's a level in an hour if you are really grinding it out, which is how someone can/has already gained 50 levels since 3.2 came out.  If you flatten it out at a higher level at a higher value it will still take more cards and time per level and will thus slow down people leveling up without forcing them to stop all together.

If the developers did proper analysis of their system (it is really simple math, after all) they could have come to a number/numbers (maybe it flattens for 10 levels and then jumps up and flattens for another 10 levels) that would allow top end players to level up at a decent pace without it starting them out too high for matchmaking to work properly.

If you give me the game data that Oktagon had before 3.2 (number of players, total number of cards, highest number of cards mastered, average number of cards mastered, how close in level matchmaking will select from...ect) I could probably come up with a good curve that would allow everyone to gain their full amount of xp at once and still be bunched up enough for matchmaking in a day or two (I don't have a lot of free time after work, but it won't be too hard). 
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's called a level crunch. Once the system is old and player levels are stagnating because it takes massive amounts of XP to level up, you dramatically reduce the XP required so that people can start leveling again. For example, put XP on a curve requiring 250 more XP per level. Eventually it will reach a point where players can't level anymore due to the sheer amount of XP required for one level. You can achieve a maximum level through this method or by simply putting a hard cap at a certain level, say level 100. Once you release new content, you lower the requirements of all levels up to 100 and you make levels beyond 100 easier to achieve until players get close to the new desired max level. Rinse and repeat. New players coming in at any phase will be able to easily catch up to the max level of the previous phase and, with effort, be able to reach the new maximum level. It really isn't that complicated. Am I really the only one here that ever played WoW?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Split Off Topic Posts Into New Thread: Giving MTG Arena A Try
  • Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    starfall said:
    In that case: I am so disillusioned with this game that I might try getting into another, unnamed MTG spinoff.

I hear tell those spin-offs are good.
  • Outersider
    Outersider Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Well just read the post on how they are going to "fix" the problem. Just as I prediceted it's a nod and a wink but NOT A FIX.... I agree it's time to spend what little funds I have on another game, LET ME BE BLUNT. WE GOT SCREWED AGAIN. THANKS FOR LITTLE MORE THAN NOTHING. YOU DON'T GET IT. YOU DON'T CARE AND WE DON'T MATTER. That's  my take on this.  The actions taken by the devs show that they don't give a damn about those of us who built this game up.... 
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brigby said:
    I do recall hearing that one of the reasons changing the leveling curve wouldn't be ideal is because of what you stated: level progression slowing down dramatically, and players being unable to earn rewards at a decent pace.
    It will always be faster than you adjusting my player level right before I was about to level up.
  • UweTellkampf
    UweTellkampf Posts: 376 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @Brigby to whom do I complain that, while I was pushed up at some illusionary level, my current xp progress from lvl 52 to 53 was stolen?
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Anyone knows if (at least...) we still receive some reward when we level up ... ? 
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,611 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bil said:
    Anyone knows if (at least...) we still receive some reward when we level up ... ? 
    You mean from level 80 to 81 or 90 to 91?

There has been no indications that this was to be changed. However, since everyone has been reset to zero it will take a while before someone can check. 🙄
  • Bil
    edited April 2019
    Options
       It looks like some of our players leveled up since the update and got no reward for it. On top of it, incoherencies beetween the number of mastered cards and player level are still a thing.

A question comes to mind ... How are we supposed to unlock the remaining favourite deck slots now that rewards are gone ..?

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They do. We who set it up didn't knew at the time /didn't care later on top be honest
  • Tremayne
    Options
    Bil said:
       It looks like some of our players leveled up since the update and got no reward for it. On top of it, incoherencies beetween the number of mastered cards and player level are still a thing.

A question comes to mind ... How are we supposed to unlock the remaining favourite deck slots now that rewards are gone ..?

@bil I levelled up recently and got a reward in the process.

This subject sure died fast with the v3.4 post. I guess that is a simple way to kill the subject, but it must be more and more difficult for the devs to come up with such controversial subjects. 😂🤪

I wonder if more information is forthcoming on this subject soon?
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, this survived the loop prevention thingy and it'll surely survive the vip thingy and other coming fiascos. @brigby - isn't it frustrating sitting on such an unnecessary unsolved issue just because someone wanted to implement a system as complicated as possible?
  • Bil
    Options
    Tremayne said:
    Bil said:

@bil I levelled up recently and got a reward in the process.

This subject sure died fast with the v3.4 post. I guess that is a simple way to kill the subject, but it must be more and more difficult for the devs to come up with such controversial subjects. 😂🤪

I wonder if more information is forthcoming on this subject soon?
    Thanks for the heads up ... I guess they were referring to the bump from 40 to 80 then ... 
  • Tremayne
    Options
    Well, this survived the loop prevention thingy and it'll surely survive the vip thingy and other coming fiascos. @brigby - isn't it frustrating sitting on such an unnecessary unsolved issue just because someone wanted to implement a system as complicated as possible?
    Possibly, but it seems like the air has surely been punched out of a lot of user. A huge number of users seem to have left, if the traffic of posts is anything to judge by.

well, maybe the next Q&A will revitalise involvement.
This discussion has been closed.