Player Level and Card Experience (2/25/19)

Options

Comments

• Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Or, and I know this is ludicrous to even suggest, they could have kept increasing the amount of experience required to level!

It's not like every other level system out there does this or anything...
  • Gabrosin
    Gabrosin Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    starfall said:
    starfall said:

Oktagon made the decision not only to curb everyone's XP, but also to allow XP gain at the rate it currently is. They *could* have cut back XP gain so that new masterer's levels would not exceed old masterer's levels, but they chose not to. They could have expanded the level boundaries exponentially to achieve the same effect with the current rate of XP gain, but they chose not to do that either; I think that's because they didn't want to spread out the rate at which rewards are gained for higher level players too much.
    Just coming back to this, there's another way that they could have kept everyone's level numbers low (e.g. level 40 instead of level 70), but still given out rewards at the same rate:

Simple give out some rewards multiple times per level.

e.g.

Instead of level 40 being 6500 XP wide, and level 41 being 6500 XP wide,
    so that a player who gained 13000XP would end up at level 42 with 2 sets of rewards gained...

... they could make level 40 13000 XP wide, but give out rewards at 6500XP and 13000XP, 
    so that a player who gained 13000XP would end up at level 41 with 2 sets of rewards gained.

I hope that explanation makes sense.
    It did not.

But that's okay.  All they need to do is to drop the crazy line of reasoning that having players at level 100 or whatever will be demoralizing to new players.

They've already said that mastering cards will be just one part of the overall XP system, and implied that it won't even be the most significant part of it.

So if you can get to level 75+ off card mastery alone, and more ways to gain XP are on the way, then six months from now we're surely going to have level 100 players.  Is it going to be demoralizing for new players then?  Should we expect the game to stagnate and die because players are just going to disappear rather than take on the challenge?

It's just nonsense.

• Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Unfortunately, at this point, we still really have no idea what levels will do.  It’s entirely possible that being higher level will be a net disadvantage.  

Communication continues to be **** with this company.

I’m not making any extra effort to level up until I know what it will get me.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Gilesclone - I’m still betting on free coffe at Starbucks. 😂😂😂
  • Theros
    Theros Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm doing my best not to level up until all this mess is sorted out. 
    If match making goes live, many players especially new will theoretically be matched with underleveled vets. 

• Froggy
    Froggy Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm a little surprised that there's complete radio silence from the team on this. The issue is not resolved, players are still upset and I don't see this going away anytime soon. Can't this just be fixed already?
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well I guess there are two obvious possibilities.

Either they are not ignoring the issue entirely, because you know the players have misunderstood everything and once we get the “real” picture we will be happy with the solution.

Alternatively, they have realised that they need to make a change and are following the SOP used so far, which means they are discussing the issue and coming up with a new solution, that is implemented without input from the players and arrive without any kind of warning (and most likely bugged).
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    After realizing that the GRN Rising Tension mastery fiasco has crept into RNA as well, and also finding out that my suspicion that the fiasco was caused by multiplicable Rune reward (i.e., triple Rune reward = triple mastery bar filling but not triple Exp) turned out to be true, I have one thing to say as an immediate response:

Halt and remove the player leveling system right NOW.

If nobody agrees (and considering the rewards we can get every 65000 Exp, I understand if no one agrees), then okay. I think we need to start a specific thread on how to have a better player leveling system. Frankly, I'm not completely against this system, but the Rising Tension fiasco makes me wish we never have this system to begin with. Or, to put it in another thought, I really think we should just plain scrap the current system and implement a new one which is done properly to address a few things:

1) For players who have mastered plenty of cards, how many Exp should each card give to the players? Once that has been set, the system has to properly calculate how many levels a player gets by having that many cards.

2) Personal idea: Dispose of the levels, and instead, simply accumulate all Exp values from the beginning, and then give players an option at the Vault to "cash in" their Exp for level up rewards which consists of +1 Level, the runes, and some booster packs (this last one frankly is a bit icky; I think we should not have it). For example, if every 65000 Exp normally gives a player level up, then if a player has 578900 Exp, they are allowed to cash in for 8 Levels, some runes x 8 and some other rewards x 8. Or just remove the +1 Level thing and just let players cash in Exp for rewards, something.

3) Personal idea: Unlink card Exp and player Exp, and instead give players the player Exp by mastering cards. What I mean is this: An uncommon requires 200 Exp to master. During a player's course to master that uncommon, as long as the card is not mastered yet, the player does NOT gain any player Exp, instead, only once the card is actually mastered then the player is given Exp. I know this seems a bit complicated compared to the current system, but believe me, if we clearly define that each common card a player has gives him 100 Exp, each uncommon 200 Exp, each Masterpiece 1600 Exp, it becomes so MUCH easier to define how many Exp a player has simply by looking at how many cards they master (instead of calculating Exp from unmastered cards as well), and in addition, this kinda of system will be resistant to things like this Rising Tension fiasco.

4) Personal idea: A rather radical one: Unlink card Exp and player Exp, except that this time, players gain Exp strictly by playing with or without mastering cards. That is to say, if a player is using unmastered cards in any match, winning those matches give those cards Exp, but regardless of whether players have unmastered cards in their deck, they get Exp simply by playing and winning. I'm not sure how well this may be received since this encourages grinding (simply keep playing the game until you hit level 100), but I think being able to level up without worrying about losing out on level up rewards is probably more acceptable.
  • OmegaLolrus
    OmegaLolrus Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    starfall said:
    arNero said:
    After realizing that the GRN Rising Tension mastery fiasco has crept into RNA as well, and also finding out that my suspicion that the fiasco was caused by multiplicable Rune reward (i.e., triple Rune reward = triple mastery bar filling but not triple Exp) turned out to be true, I have one thing to say as an immediate response:

They won't, though. They'll try and fix this one. And each iteration of fixes will break more things than the last one fixed.

Kind of like Inception, but with bugs.
  • Gabrosin
    Gabrosin Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    arNero said:

So you're saying that cards are being mastered faster by playing them during Rising Tensions than by playing them in other events, even though the screen is reporting only 20 XP per game?

• Brakkis
    Brakkis Posts: 777 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Gabrosin said:
    arNero said:

So you're saying that cards are being mastered faster by playing them during Rising Tensions than by playing them in other events, even though the screen is reporting only 20 XP per game?

They have been since 3.2

They gain 20 xp per objective completed. So if you take a new common and meet all 3 objectives twice, it's mastered. If you meet only 2, then only 2, then it'll be mastered in 3 matches. This explains the varying discrepancy between players saying it took 2 RT matches or 3 to master their common cards.

However, it only shows 20 xp on the mastery screen and you only gain 20 xp.
  • Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mastery is a stupid idea.  Collection value should have been used instead.  That fact that you mastered 5 mythics is far less informative than the fact that you have 10.
  • Outersider
    Outersider Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's been one month since Brixby posted they were working on it..... One month and no other comments... WE HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN WE GOT SCREWED..... 
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Brigby: Can you give SOME kind of status update on this issue, please? Anything at all... better than radio silence for over a month.
This discussion has been closed.