Player Level and Card Experience (2/25/19)

Comments

• Khyb
    Khyb Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    @Brigby

If only 1.87% of the players were majorly affected, a number small enough to create a problematically narrow match fixing pool, then why was it a concern that awarding that small number of players their proper level would break the in game economy?
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    I went lvl. 45 this week. Whooping 4575 runes. Yes we deserve this! 

But not only level discrepancy is the problem, or the more or less usefull rewards for doing something within the game. 

The problem it is uninspired and repetitive. The problem is, for every fixed bug coming two new one. 

I am sick of all this. Maybe time is near where I go amd never look back. 
  • Machine
    Machine Posts: 787 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2019
    Keep it up, @Starfall! This important topic shouldn't vanish into the dark depths of the Oktavoid.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    So, an idea for a possible solution that might be able to deal with several concerns:

Every player has two XP "values": 
    The one he actually has (XP neccessary for his level + XP within that level), and the one he would have if the system took a 1:1 approach (XP of all mastered and partly mastered cards). 
    A solution to make this fair could be to use the difference between those two values as a "pool" for every player (..who was active before the update), and to grant them XP for every match won. Doesn't matter how much (I'd say 100-200); just so everyone re-gains the mastery over time until his or her conversion is 0. This would also make the levels more "valuable" from a competitive point of view, since you rise in XP with every match won.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Laeuftbeidir - interesting idea. Are you proposing this because the developers won’t listen to the first round of complaints and ideas? 

@starfall - why are you getting flagged? Is it because it is a repost?
  • Tremayne
    starfall said:
    Monday repost, #3

starfall said:

Monday. Let's take stock of where we are at the moment, by considering the problems that Brigby has laid out.
    Brigby said:

Since Matchmaking will be primarily based on Player Level, placing those players at such a drastic height would’ve meant they only had access to an incredibly small pool of competitors.
    Even if brackets cannot easily be widened (which, as a veteran coder, I can tell you is nonsense), the code to include competitors from lower brackets into the pool of possible competitors if it is too small is trivial to write.
    Brigby said:

If that pool of competitors were to be widened, then the side effect would be high-level players being matched against players significantly lower than them.
    Literally no high level players care about this. Remember, "players significantly lower than them" does not mean worse players, merely players who have mastered their BSZs and Deploys, but didn't bother mastering their Magmaroths, Grim Flayers and Thopter Pie Networks. Platinum players are still Platinum players.
    Brigby said:

This wide gap in levels also creates an intimidation factor for newer players, which can be discouraging for those that are just starting out in the game
    The current solution of cutting the levels of players who mastered pre-3.2 is a short term solution to this problem, and in 6 months time, there will be plenty of players in the game at level 100, especially if the new ways of gaining XP (which, admittedly, we know nothing about) are purely additive and can only ever increase the amount of XP that players have. After all:
    Brigby said:

Once those features are added in, veteran players will find that they quickly increase in player levels and surpass other players even in the short term, especially considering veteran players are far more active in the game than other demographics. Mastering cards would no longer be the limiting factor to player levels. 
    Moving on:
    Brigby said:

specifically the concern of high color mastery veteran players being surpassed in level by players that mastered less cards pre-3.2 update. 
    Yes, this is our biggest concern, and we await your addessing of it.

Highly pertinent questions to the developers.

Couldn’t we all show our support by quoting this post and add a few lines of text with a reference to your favourite D3/octagon employee.

Just to show them that more than 1,87% cares about this?

@Brigby - would that be against any forum rule?
  • Tremayne
    @starfall - I totally agree. Though I’m not sure what we can achieve by going somewhere else to discuss this subject. As far as I understand the forum rules, any thread can be kept alive as long as there is relevant information to new entries.

luckily there is always new information if you are observant enough. 😉
  • Outersider
    Outersider Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Unitl they fix the problem of their own making, Levellng is something I'll only do by accident. I have no desire to waste both my time and money on a game that literally screwed those of us who played the game as it was. They have shown very little concern for fixing the problem despite Brixby's comments. There is absolutely no trust that they will fix it. At this point I'm hoiping Wzards ill revoke there liscense for the game and give it to some other company that will, I know thats a long shot also but it's what I'd like to see. 
  • Tremayne
    edited March 2019
    @Outersider - I’m not hoping for Wizards to revoke anything!

I think that the game needs fixing, but I would rather be stuck with the devil I know, than start over with the company in the shadows, which most likely will pull everything back to zero.
  • OmegaLolrus
    OmegaLolrus Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    starfall said:
    Tremayne said:

I assume it's because it's considered spam.

I don't consider it spam, because it's an important issue which affects not just the state of the 1.87% now, but their entire future career in the game. It must not be allowed to drift off the front page of the forums and be forgotten about.

I respect Feden's right to flag my post, and I guess a moderator will have to make the final call.

If I'm not allowed to keep this topic current here, then I suppose we'll have to take this issue private via forum msgs or email. Reposting in the forums certainly seems the easiest and best way forward for both the players and d3go/Oktagon.

That's probably what happened.

But, I mean... this doesn't even directly affect me, and I don't think it's spam.

I would like the think the devs are trying to figure out how to resolve this... I think it's important to keep showing that this is important to us.

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tremayne said:
    @Laeuftbeidir - interesting idea. Are you proposing this because the developers won’t listen to the first round of complaints and ideas? 

I'm proposing it because I've got a productive mindset, and I like offering potential solutions to problems I point out. Even an attempt to solve a problem tells more about the perception of the issue than any in-depth analysis. Also, I think it's clever - that way, the devs don't even have to move from their initial position but still manage to fix the issues
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tremayne said:

I'm proposing it because I've got a productive mindset, and I like offering potential solutions to problems I point out. Even an attempt to solve a problem tells more about the perception of the issue than any in-depth analysis. Also, I think it's clever - that way, the devs don't even have to move from their initial position but still manage to fix the issues
    That's why we keep you around here, for constructive complaining!

And I do like that idea.  I just want the levels I have earned though hours of grindy gameplay.  I don't really care how I get them (and I'm sure a lot of other players agree)
  • Gabrosin
    Gabrosin Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    starfall said:
    I've been having a look at the leaderboards today, and have found 6 players in the top 5 coalitions who are over level 50, and yet have mastered less than 2000 cards. That's 6% of players (more, possibly, as my cut off point was rather arbitrary) who have been mastering concertedly *after* the 3.2 update landed.
    I'm one of them... I've been trying to squeeze in 2-3 unmastered cards for every full-XP node I can run, outside of coalition events.  I'd like to see them alter the system to reward everyone who mastered their cards, no matter when it happened, but I have no faith that it'll actually get changed in this way, despite the numerous proposals.  So I'm making the most of what we've currently got.

This discussion has been closed.