Who changed your game?

Options

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,165 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Almost certainly it was getting a few covers on Court Death for Thano5, paired with my single red cover for 5* Panther. I use that to fly through DDQ and the easy nodes in PVE every day. 

My first 4* was Medusa, and she is still one of my favorites even if she isn't the star of any particular show. I used to run Patch/Medusa all the time, it was a great transition team. For some reason I never added IM40 as a 3rd to fuel Berserker Rage, though in hindsight it seems so obvious. 

I slept on Vulture a little bit when he was released, but once I understood his deal, he became The Best 4* to me. Vulture/G4mora is such a good offense team in simulator.

Getting 5 covers on black for Okoye has brought Medusa back into daily rotation for me - Okoye/Medusa/Chavez or Strang3 is now my fast clear team in story instead of 5* Lord/Medusa/4ocket
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Medusa has had an enormous impact on my roster, when I think about 4-stars. Whether she was double-dipping strike tiles with the ubiquitous Grocket + Gamora to speed up PvE clears, or assisting 3-star Hawkeye in taking out over-scaled symbiotes, I used her a ton when in 4-star land. I still use her almost every day because teaming her with Okoye is like playing in auto-mode. Medusa was one of those game-changing characters for me.
    Medusa is an odd one for me. I can't say she was game-changing, because I pulled her from a random Heroic before I even had my 2* champed, and she was my first 4* champ, so she's kind of been part of the baseline of the game for me. She has definitely had a huge impact on how I play, tho. For ages, my go-to Sim team was her, Wasp (another early pull, and champ), and 3* Falcon.

Mattjimf said:
    the team that got me through 3* and up into 4* was 3* cage,fist and switch.

I used that team religiously as soon as I had all three fully covered, even if they weren't boosted.
    In all honesty, they are a fantastic team. Certainly one of the core teams I'd recommend 3* transitioners get the covers for. I still use that team sometimes, especially if one is Featured and another is on the weekly Boost list, or if, for whatever reason, a 3* team is appropriate for what I'm doing at the moment.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,165 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Mattjimf said:
    the team that got me through 3* and up into 4* was 3* cage,fist and switch.

I used that team religiously as soon as I had all three fully covered, even if they weren't boosted.
    In all honesty, they are a fantastic team. Certainly one of the core teams I'd recommend 3* transitioners get the covers for. I still use that team sometimes, especially if one is Featured and another is on the weekly Boost list, or if, for whatever reason, a 3* team is appropriate for what I'm doing at the moment.
    I used that team a ton, and I'd also run Blad3/Falcon/Fist|Cage|Switch depending on who was boosted. Blad3/Falcon was a big deal on my roster for a long time in 3* play.
  • focal431
    focal431 Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I used the tandem of Vulture and 5* Spidey quite frequently until the intro of Okoye. Now Okoye teamed with either Medusa or Strange has been a serious game changer for my roster.
  • maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I remember having fun with IM40 and Vision when the latter was broken and overpowered for a while. Similarly, IM40-Cap-KK was my go-to team when I was in a tight spot, and you could use Cap to stunlock the enemy whilst KK could keep you healed. 

However, Doctor Strange was and still is a game changer for me. Paired with R4G and Gamora, the Flames of the Faltine melt goons left, right and centre, and PvE is a much quicker affair as a result. You can also run Strange with R4G and Nico, as Nico will strengthen your strike tiles each turn, even though she is weak in terms of health.

There are lots of great characters to choose from in 4* land, but I'd probably pick Medusa as the queen. Put her in place of Strange for the current meta, or with Carnage for attack tile craziness and lots of healing. Chavez and ME Hulk is also lots of fun.

I've yet to enter 5* territory, but I hear great things about Okoye, Thor and Jessica Jones.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Probably have to say 4* Carol, Gamora, or R&G. I champed them all pretty close together thanks to vaulting. My PVP fortunes changed pretty drastically after that.
  • Ex_XMan_Man
    Ex_XMan_Man Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    To sound like an echo, Doctor Strange for me all the way.  I used him in an event as a loaner before I even had his cover and was only just starting to get 3*s.  After that,  I couldn't move fast enough over to the Roster screen to select him as my Bonus Hero.  He was my first champed 3* and is currently my highest leveled 3*.  I've now champed all the 3*'s but still use him about 99% of the time (the usual exception being against the sentries since all their moves are passive).

I've been very curious to see at what point in my transition to 4* land, I'll stop relying on him to lay waste to everyone.  Especially since he is rarely one of the boosted characters.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've been very curious to see at what point in my transition to 4* land, I'll stop relying on him to lay waste to everyone.
    You won't.
  • cschwinge
    cschwinge Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Early on the game was incredibly stingy with Strange and IM40 covers. So I rode SWitch, one of my first 3* to a ton of wins. I also ended up with a 1/1/1 Peggy early on due to her being my favorite (at a time when I didn't know that favorites existed, it was just a mis-click). So Peggy/SWitch later joined by IM40 when allowed, accounted for so many wins...with all opponents stunlocked

But after champing Peggy, Medusa, Grock4t and 3 others, Grock4t is the biggest game-changer. And the grock4t/gamora combo has completely replaced even Strange/America/whoever in most PvE situations, and I'm finishing in half the time
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    For me, it was 3* cage/fist and falcon in 3* land as there is no need to spend blue, and had lots of tile buffing.

But as for my 4* transition, Vulture was my jam. I paired him with my under levelled cloak and dagger for some black ap gen, and if you can match enough before they die, Keaton whips around the battlefield until you win. It’s a combo I use even now, as I find it so good
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    I've been very curious to see at what point in my transition to 4* land, I'll stop relying on him to lay waste to everyone.
    You won't.
    Eh. I don't use Strange much, except against mindless ones. Gamora/C&D/R&G is generally better.
  • RedLion
    RedLion Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Options
    I fondly remember 3* Blade as the cornerstone character I built everything around for almost 6 months. Nothing special about the character, but an early run of Blade covers meant I had him maxed earlier than everyone else and he paired so well with patch and loki that I only ran that team through DDQ for a long time. 

More recently, Gambit (RIP), but looking at it logically, I can't think of three more impactful characters than Thanos, America Chavez, and Okoye. Although I don't run them all at the same time, there are ZERO PVE/PVP nodes that I play without at least one of them.   
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Options
    2* OBW - Back in the days when the Big Enchilada was 4 waves she let me clear it daily (along with Storm/Thor) for precious 3* covers when I my 2* roster was only in the L80 range. Doing that daily (battle was 10-15 minutes long) for months was the hardest thing and most fun I've ever had in MPQ. I greatly miss that challenge.

After that it was 3* IM, then 3* Strange and finally 4* Rocket (he literally cut clear times in half in PvE and PvP making him by FAR the MVP of my roster for saving me real life time.).

KGB

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    You won't.

The only time that will happen is when your 5* Strange outdamages your 3* Strange. Which is my situation now: my lv266 3* Strange has more than played his part, and has passed the baton on to my lv380 5/2/4 5trange.
  • Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Quake was another game changer for me, especially when it came to The Hand nodes.
  • dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
    Options
    A long time ago 3* Rocket and Groot was my first lvl 166 3*. This was before champs became a thing. He was the workhorse of my roster for a long while. Eventually I mostly used Iron Fist, Cyclops and Scarlet Witch as a 3* trio, sometimes using Luke Cage instead of Cyclops. First 4* champ was Thor with X-23 shortly after and I used them with IM40 a lot.

I was well into 4* land when Dr. Strange was released so he was never a powerhouse for me, although I surely see why he is so powerful. Maybe I'll use him some more if I ever get the final Okoye cover I need.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    3-Star

IM40 - Iron Man was the glue that held my roster together through the 2-3* transition, as a full-fledged 3-star player, and as a 3-4* transitioner as well. His AP generation capabilities was a staple of many of my best teams, even long after I stopped needing to use Unibeam. I even still use him to speed blitz PVP when Peggy or Iceman are boosted. 

Strange - Pretty much all the reasons OP mentioned. Until I get the 5-star version champed, this guys's also gonna continue to be a staple of my roster. 

Thanos - I REALLY hate the speed game of PVE, but when I do have to play it, this guy is integral to my strategy for the easier/wave nodes. Throwing him in to finish off easier nodes goes much quicker than using Medusa with your favorite R4G + Guardian team IMO. 

Scarlet Witch - SWitch still finds regular use by me as well, on account of nothing else honestly but her blue passive. I can't think of any other purple generators off the top of my head, let alone ones that do it passively, so with the vast array of cool purple abilities in the game I will always find a use for her. 

4-Star

Iceman - Iceman was my 2nd 4-star champ, and Icy40 was my first PVP team when I decided I wanted to get serious about scoring 900. It would get you eaten alive on defense, but it was a remarkably efficient team for someone brand new to the 4-star tier. With quite a large crop of other 4s now who use Blue/Green I don't use him near as often, but boy did he get me through some tough times as my first 4-star IM40 pairing. 

R4G - See Thanos. Hate having to throw these guys at so many nodes when I want to be quick, but they're THAT good at what they bring to the table. Permanent staple for clearing the easier nodes quick, but I even throw him at some harder nodes here and there. Usually when fighting Hood in PVE and I don't want to have to bring my own to counter the AP stealing, I bring R4G to make sure he dies quickly. 

Blade - His passive red definitely changed the game for me. I use him for the same reasons I'd bring R4G (powerful strikes), but if for whatever reason I can keep enough red on the board for the strikes, Bloodlust certainly helps mow down people more quickly. Quite often bring Blade/America or Medusa/Strange for my goon nodes. Speaking of....

Medusa - No-brainer when facing a special tile spammer. No-brainer when bringing a special tile spammer. Probably one of the most efficient characters in the game at everything she does: AP generation, team healing, special tile generation (yeah tile placement is a factor, but your AP pool isn't!), special tile stealing. 

Coulson/Captain Marvel - Lumped these 2 together because I get the biggest bang for my buck out of similar abilities in both of them, which is passive interaction with Countdown tiles. Before we switched to this repeater tile nonsense, boy did I used to have field days running Carol with the likes of Blad3, R4G, and Torch to name a few. They both still pair really with Wasp, or anyone who drops a countdown passively or actively. 

Got loads more, but don't want this to get too long. So pleased with all the options I have currently, and am kinda scared moving in to 5s would take away from that. 
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    3* :  Hulkbomb! (Hulk + Patch)
    3* - 4* transition: IM40 (rework) + Tho4ess
    4* - 5* OML pre crushingly bad Nerf.  Man oh man has a character never been leaned upon as much as OML. Those first yellow covers were GOLD. OML combined with IM40 was gross.
    5* - Oh wait, Gambit was leaned on pretty heavily too. I think OML was more of a game changer though.

Now the stale Gambit meta has been replaced by the stale Thokoye meta.

Demi/D3 - free/fast AP is bad for the rest of the Meta. Especially when you can protect your free/fast AP person behind a meat shield of sorts. All of my above picks are all about faster AP gains.

• Polly_P1
    Polly_P1 Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Options
    5* silver Surfer. (Blue cover) I pulled him before I had even fully covered a 2* when i very first started playing. (I think oml had just appeared). His match damage and healing was Awsome. 

3* cap. I leveled him fast and he was able to get me out of 2* tier.

3* strange - reasons allready said in multiple post.

4* carol, wasp, and madusa.  That was my main 4* team

4* america- going into 5* play I love her critical. 

5* okoye. Now in the 5* tier she makes all 4* and even some 3* able to play in PVE. 
  • dokiy
    dokiy Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    She-Hulk! When I first started playing (4 years ago!) I quickly pulled 2 She-Hulk reds before I was even out of prologue. Smashed through the rest quite easily. It was fun.