Who changed your game?

Options
Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
When Dr. Strange first debuted I was champing the last of the 3-stars and ready to make my 4-star transition. Roster-based scaling was still a thing in PvE and goons 50-100 levels higher than my best characters were actually threatening. When Strange came along he really changed my game and the PvE experience for the better, as I imagine he's done for a lot of PvE players. Since that time I've champed all but a dozen of the 4-stars and champed four 5-stars, entering that realm of play. But still, 3-star Strange is part of my regular rotation. Just this past weekend in the new Places of Power event I found myself faced off against many, many goons. Especially Mindless Ones and those cursed Symbiotes (for which Dr. Strange seemed to have been created for). There he was, side-by-side with Okoye for many of those battles, doing what he does best. It occurred to me how remarkable of an addition he was to MPQ.

Which character made the biggest impact on your play? It doesn't have to be someone you use now, but a fond friend from the past who had a lasting impression on the way you played.

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Options
    3 star level- IM40 rework paired with lazy cap. Later 3strange for goon nodes. Really those 3 ended up being my top 3 star team. 3strange was the only character I've ever spent DP to finish (about 40) after his release.

4 star level- Iceman, c4rol, medusa, reworked Wasp, Peggy, and Carnage.

5 star level thor, gambit, and honorary should be a five America. Later DD after gambit nerf, then Okoye.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    No question Strang3 is a game changer, especially for a newer player.  He eases up the frustration of PVE and pairs perfect with IM40 & KK.

4* tier...  The Grockdusa combo is the meta.  Game changes once you have them.  But, you gotta pick 1.  I think R4G is the one that makes it happen.  His heavy strike tiles are what make it work.  And you can take those strike tiles to a variety of teams and make it work.

Not in the 5* tier yet, but clearly Okoye is a gamechanger right now.
  • JohnnyStacks
    JohnnyStacks Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Options
    5* Gambit. Champed him early and everything changed to pre gambit and post gambit life. Don’t have him anymore, but he is responsible for my now 6 5* champs
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Black Bolt's yellow made the undercovered 4-stars I had suddenly viable.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Options
    3* Doctor Strange
    5* Thanos
    5* Gambit (pre-nerf)
    5* DD / Thor
    4* Chavez
    5* Okoye
  • Persephone
    Persephone Posts: 201 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Still deep in 3* land.  No matter how much I love Dr. Strange, it's actually IM40.  His battery helped me out countless times.  
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In order of appearance:
    1* Storm
    2* Wolverine
    3* Magneto
    3* Hood
    4* Wolverine
    5* Wolverine
    3* & 5* Thanos
    5* Gambit
    5* Thor
    4* Chavez
    5* Okoye
  • Shintok17
    Shintok17 Posts: 620 Critical Contributor
    Options
    1* Iron Man
    2* Ares 
    3* Dr. Strange, Thor, and Thanos
    4* Vulture, Rocket & Groot, Gamora, Rogue, and America Chavez
    5* Thor, Jessica Jones, and Okoye

As a 4* player the only 3* I still use is Dr. Strange. He is amazing in PVE. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2018
    Options
    2* Daken- The amount of health packs I saved which allowed me to continue grinding was huge.  At that level, sustainability was more important than speed.
    3* Wolverine- See 2* Daken.  And by extension, Loki as I always played the two in tandem so I wasn't eating health packs when firing my own green.
    3* Iron Man- Everyone else already said everything that needs to be said.  Best 3* bar none.
    3* Thanos- I had moved well beyond the 3* tier when Thanos and Strange dropped.  Strange mostly gets played when essential/boosted, Thanos gets played everyday.  He significantly sped up Lightning Rounds, trivial nodes, Deadpool's Daily, etc.  Cool to have a 3* game-changer when you're a well-established 4* player.
    4* Red Hulk, Peggy Carter, Captain Marvel- At times each one (in order) were the best 4* I had and I would rely on them heavily as each were part of a different meta (big AOE, AP suppression, tile buffing).
    4* Rocket and Groot- The 4* tier can be divided into people who have him and those who don't.  He significantly speeds up clear times and is a game changer in the tier.
    4* Vulture- The IM40 of the 4* tier.  His battery ability absolutely sped up other characters and changed the game for me until...
    5* Thor- Mine is level 255 and I play him as much as any other character.  At half health he trumps both IM40 and Vulture in terms of being a battery and I use him to fuel boosted 4s with good R/Y/G abilities.

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Strange. I think that I was early into 3* land when he was released. Every time I got 20cp I put it into him and I was one of the first in the game to get him champed. 

For the 4* tier it's Grocket with probably Carol being a close second. 
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    HulkBuster he was my ticket to 4 * land along with 3* ironfist. After that point everything goes very smooth.
    And my ticket to 5* land were 5* thanos and 5* Daredevil
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For 1*, it was Spider-Man, as he was the first 1* I really enjoyed using (both pre- and post-rework).

For 2*, it would be OBW.  I had her rostered previously, but only after I understood from the forums why 3/5/5 was considered the best build did she really come into her own.  Honorable mention to Ares, as he made me less troubled by self-damage abilities.

For 3*, it’s either Strange for the reasons already mentioned or Kamala Khan, as using her really affected how sustainable my teams were.  Even if it’s not a true heal, having the AI only cut into your burst heals still saves health packs.

For 4*, championing 4Thor made PVP playable in my MMR, as none of my previous three champions could punch above their weight as well.  Honorable mention goes to whoever in the development team thought of vaulting, as getting a burst of quick 4* champs changed my 4* progression from a glacial pace to a more moderate one.

While learning to beat single-yellow OML as a mostly 2* player was a milestone, I’m not even close to a 5* player so none really fit the bill.

Great topic, @Dormammu
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    CMags back when his blue cost 5AP and his red was 2AP. Getting him fully covered (and in the right distribution since this was before champing) was a game changer and he was instrumental to my 3* transition along with Punisher and Patch. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Twysta said:
    In order of appearance:
    1* Storm
    2* Wolverine
    3* Magneto
    3* Hood
    4* Wolverine
    5* Wolverine
    3* & 5* Thanos
    5* Gambit
    5* Thor
    4* Chavez
    5* Okoye
    This is a great list but would like to add a few. 

3* Cyc- When he was boosted he was a 4* killler with his black. 

4 * Hulk Buster (man he was the work horse for a long time in this tier) 
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IM40 + 4* Thor (even non-champed) was the biggest boost to my ability to complete events while still largely in the 3* tier.  In the 4* tier, it was getting a critical mass of covers in 4* Cage, Wasp, and/or Carol.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Back in the day, OML changed things for me with his yellow. Up until then, PvP was just a mode that I never did anything with but once I got OML and put him with IM40 and Thor, I suddenly had a team that could actually survive more than one match at a time. It made PvP viable and fun for the first time.

Thank you gnarly old Canadian mutant guy.
  • Rockwell75
    Rockwell75 Posts: 268 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    1) Juggernaut
    2) 4* Cyc-- I drew a red from a heroic on my second or third day of play and he became my workhorse through much of the prologue
    3) 3* Strange and Thanos
    4) 3* Cyc
    5) Carol, Medusa and C&D -> My first 4* champs
    6) RBG and Gamora
    7) Vulture
    8) JJ, Thor and Okoye
  • Eichen
    Eichen Posts: 176 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Without a doubt Teen Jean.  She was one of my first champ 4* and I rode her and Scarlet Witch until I champed some 5*s.  Just collect pink and then do AE damage while wiping out countdowns and special tiles.  
  • barrok
    barrok Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Back when I first played (3 years ago or so), Jean Buster changed my life.

Getting back into the game (after taking a few year break)  I have had a few life changers.
    1) Realizing that they "fixed' IM40. Awesome   
    2) 3* strange and thanos (didn't exist when i played) . Great tandum.
    3) Okoye . Only 9 covers but man, has it saved me health packs and made my 3* strange crazy awesome.
    4) Most recently I champed Vulture. Holy moly. He's awesome!
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Strange 3-star, Rocket 4 star, Vulture 4 star and Chavez 4 star. I don't have the right covers on Okoye to make her formidable just yet. Vulture is one of the 4-stars I worry about getting nerfed, as he's pretty formidable, especially against tile spamming goons. Ebony Maw and Wong supports have also boosted Strange and Vulture to exceptionally better players.