Loki (God of Mischief) (8/7/18)

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would be interesting to see how well Loki's green interacts with his purple.  If you've got 4 Shadowplay countdowns that end up spread over four rows, then there's a 50% chance that the  repeater will duplicate one.  And assuming the new countdowns start with the full count again, they've got a chance of sticking around until the next time the repeater fires.  It's quite possible that increasing how often the repeater fired essentially made the Shadowplay countdowns immortal.

It would be nice if the green power also dealt the damage when cast as well as when the repeater fired.  That would make it more immediately useful.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    TheXMan said:
    I have used my champed 5 star Cap yellow power 0 times.  These downed abilities sound nice but rarely get used.
    I used it a couple times when Cap was a very low level essential in PvE.  Of course, I only needed to use it because I was effectively running a two-person team.  Ironically, getting more covers and levels for him has made the yellow less valuable.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    babinro said:
    5* Loki Initial Impressions:

Overall:  Mid-Tier bordering on something higher.
    High damage purple skills are very much welcome post Gambit nerf.   However, green damage skills are not now that Thor largely dominates the meta.  If you don't have a 5* green spender than this skill is far from useless but its on the weaker side of things.
    It's a little ironic to have Thor and Black Bolt in the same token pool as Loki, because each of them has a superior green to Loki's.  That purple is strong, though, and it has an interesting mechanic as well.

Overall, I agree with you, though I'd rank the black skill more as middling than poor.  Some of that may just be because I think it's an interesting new take on the category.  On a PvP-only assessment, for players established in the 5* tier, it definitely drops to poor.
  • sirwookieechris
    sirwookieechris Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    As someone in 4 star land, I’m looking forward to the troll teams of undercovered OML, Phoenix, and Loki
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2018
    I wonder, do the dev's read these comments? If the character reviews are overwhelmingly negative do they even care? You'd think they'd fix any problems with the character early on instead of letting it flow into the ocean of other characters that need rebalancing. Based on the comments here, how hard would it be to tweak his green ability and take him from being a meh character to a good one? Any reds out there listening?
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    I would disagree that the initial reviews have been overwhelmingly negative so far on Loki.
    Sure, we'd like to suggest changes but he seems (it's early to truly be sure) that he will be above average at worst.

A quite good purple, and a reasonably decent green sounds a lot like how you could also rate Daredevil in certain parts of the game. On the plus side, you won't need to run Loki at half health for optimal effectiveness. Not to mention, Loki seems to be better out on defense. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    RickOShay said:
    I would disagree that the initial reviews have been overwhelmingly negative so far on Loki.
    Sure, we'd like to suggest changes but he seems (it's early to truly be sure) that he will be above average at worst.

A quite good purple, and a reasonably decent green sounds a lot like how you could also rate Daredevil in certain parts of the game. On the plus side, you won't need to run Loki at half health for optimal effectiveness. Not to mention, Loki seems to be better out on defense. 

But the DD comparison totally collapses on the third power.  Dd's yellow is the best true heal in the game (post oml nerf).  Loki's black is a fine gimmick. 

I would say that thought-experiment reviews of Loki have been appropriately cautious.  His purple looks good but not stupid broken, his other two powers look meh and/or niche. That sounds mid tier to me.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Loki's revive simply means that you want to hit him last, if not he's going to come back and blast you with his purple or green. If you choose to hit him first, then you have to pay the consequence of him reviving. He could force you to change your strategy on who to down first.
  • Vhailorx
    Loki's revive simply means that you want to hit him last, if not he's going to come back and blast you with his purple or green. If you choose to hit him first, then you have to pay the consequence of him reviving. He could force you to change your strategy on who to down first.
    But he lacks the bite of Phoenix post revive.  She gets a strong aoe that she didn't have pre-revive (it was the best aoe in the game when she was new) and for a while her red was cheaper too. 

But Loki's revive just offers a bit of green ap and health.  Obviously the extra 30k health is an annoyance. But it's easier to work around than a cheap aoe that does 40+k.
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Would Phoenix/Loki/Required have any value as a defensive team in PvP, or is Phoenix too far behind the curve for that at this point?
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    His green could be great but to get to see it I have to carry a match longer than I need to because of the 3 turn repeater. The match is over before I get to resolve it unless I purposely wait. He’s a small tweak from being great, but that won’t  happen and we will keep on getting free AP with Thor instead.
  • jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    He looks like he’d pair well with Green Goblin. Extra fortification on the repeater and actives on four colors, with only one overlapping. Be good for high level PVE with SWitch. Have her get some purple going and get some trike tiles out of GG’s purple before letting Loki do his dadamage the rest of the match.
  • jtmagee
    Richyyy said:
    Would Phoenix/Loki/Required have any value as a defensive team in PvP, or is Phoenix too far behind the curve for that at this point?

She’s too far behind the curve. She can be deadly but their purple powers overlap a little too much.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think that’s the issue though. You probably were going to target him last anyway since he isn’t top tier and you’d want to deal with those threats first. So I don’t know how much he really alters opponent strategy. 
  • jtmagee
    OJSP said:
    jtmagee said:
    He looks like he’d pair well with Green Goblin. Extra fortification on the repeater and actives on four colors, with only one overlapping. Be good for high level PVE with SWitch. Have her get some purple going and get some trike tiles out of GG’s purple before letting Loki do his dadamage the rest of the match.
    You might be right, but I imagine it’s really slow.. waiting for Switch’s tile to resolve, then GG’s CDs to resolve, then Loki’s tiles to multiply and resolve..
    True. A couple lucky yellow or purple matches will help speed t up, though. Either way, just trying to think outside of the box with who may go well with outside of the usual suspects.
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    I don't have him yet but I want to know what will happen if he's revived by Lumbercap after he's downed and the Trap tile is created? Will reviving him remove his Trap tile from the board? 
  • Vhailorx
    Jtmagee:

GG (and Hawkeye) don't protect repeater tiles. Just CDs.  Not can any of the other cd manipulation powers (like coulson or Carol yellow) affect repeaters.  It's a big weakness for powers relative to countdown powers.

Richyyy: Phoenix is more than a bit underpowered now (there are plenty of 5*s that can match her damage output without the various downsides that she has).  But even worse, both Loki and Phoenix absolutely run off their purple.  It's by far the most important color for both of them. So using them togrther, on offense or defense seems wasteful. 
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:
    Jtmagee:

GG (and Hawkeye) don't protect repeater tiles. Just CDs.  Not can any of the other cd manipulation powers (like coulson or Carol yellow) affect repeaters.  It's a big weakness for powers relative to countdown powers.

Goblin was updated to fortify repeaters.
  • CCW1208
    CCW1208 Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    GG yellow can protect repeater tiles.
  • jtmagee
    Yeah, they updated GG over a month ago to fortify repeaters. Since they introduced him with CD fortification, they were smart to keep him as the only 5* to be able to fortify repeaters after it breaks during a match. Gives him a little more utility that other 5*’s will eventually have.