Loki (God of Mischief) (8/7/18)

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    RickOShay said:
    So do you all like Loki or Cap better? I’m sure this will be it’s own thread as Cap gets closer to leaving. My Cap is an abysmal 0/5/4. My Okoye also has a rough build at 1/5/4. But I have 270 pulls right now so should be able to finish her. The question is do I go Cap/Wasp/Okoye or Loki/Wasp/Okoye?

Like you said, it's a bit early to tell but I'm cautiously voting Loki. Cap's red can be great, no doubt, but it's his only damage dealing power. Also, there's lots of good/decent red users in the tier already. Loki presents another purple/green user (i.e. DD, Thanos), but his purple will certainly put him at the top 3 purple damage abilities among 5*s with DD & Gambit. 

It think the answer will depend more on your roster than anything. Which of the two would have better color/ability spread, compared with your other 5* characters?
    Well I don’t really use my 5s (except Thor who’s a beast at any level with 5 green) so ultimately it doesn’t matter. I do collect all the “meta” 5s in case I ever do want to transition.  And even if I never do, I plan to bring them up to the level of my top 4s once the 3* farm is self-sustaining. 

I have Thor, Jessica, DD, Goblin cover-maxed. Will have Okoye as well. Just depends on who I want with her (Cap or Loki). I’m leaning Loki because I think he honestly seems more fun and will likely pair better with 4s. I can level him to tank and revive. If I level Cap he will likely tank and die before reviving others which is what usually happens when he’s the boosted essential. 

I wish Loki revived by destroying his trap. It’d be awesome and thematic to see him downed, place his tile on one of Thor’s colors and have him revived on a half health board smash. You’re much more likely to have Thor make sure he stays down by blowing up his tile. I guess both are thematic depending on their relationship that day. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2018
    I largely agree with babinro's assessment. 

Purple is very good. The mechanic is cumbersome, but could be fun, and the base value of the power for 11ap is competitive with other top tier 5*s. And the ai can't even mess it up too badly, so he will have some defensive value.

Green is mediocre.  The repeater tiles is too long. The damage is too low relative to cost, and random boardshake is good, but still overvalued by demi. Suffers because there are no skills that manipulate repeater tiles (like there are for CDs).  If you could proc this tile with Carol or keep it protected with HE, then the power would look a lot better.

Black is also mediocre. This is basically a modified version of phoenix's green.  That means it is a useful power, especially for transitioners.  But it just doesn't add much value to the playstyle required for high-end play (i.e. players are strongly incentivized to win every match as fast as possible).

He will definitely see some play because of that purple. But he is not replacing Thor (or okoye) on the throne.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime said:
    Thanos said:
    He looks decent, wish his green wasn't so slow. I think they could lower the cost of the green or make the repeater one turn. By the time this thing finally goes off the match will be over. Also, would be nice if it destroyed more than one row.
    Granted it takes 3 turns to do its max damage, but it's a max of 18k for 10 green AP. That's better than Thor. AND you get board shake.
    Thor does 13k AOE compared to 6800 AOE for Loki for 2 extra AP and you don’t have to worry about a repeater tile CD.  Not sure how you feel Loki does more damage after 3 turns.  Now if that repeater tiles fires 3 times you are winning but how many times do you get 9 Green AP and then have a match last 9 more moves
    I misunderstood the ability. I thought it was a 3-turn countdown that did the AoE every turn until it fizzled out.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2018
    Appears his green actually costs 11ap and not 10ap (at least in-game). So 1 cheaper than Thor but you'd need the repeater to tick down twice to get comparable damage.

I can't envision a scenario where I would ever fire Loki green over Thor's. Seems like a one-trick pony with that purple (although it's a pretty good and annoying trick).
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sadly another missed opportunity. A tiny tweak to make a great character that’s still not OP. 11ap and 3 repeater, never getting used.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    More than likely his green is like that because of okoye 
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    The reason his green repeater is different than Gambit's is because you choose when to cast it. Make all the available green matches, then cast. Then protect it by not moving too many tiles in that area. 

It's not that hard to keep repeaters around. Ghostrider's are easy to protect. It's them running out of fuel that's hard.
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    I think he'll be fun to play, but I am a little worried that he's so dependent on the board. You might end up waiting too many turns to use either green or purple because there are too many green matches or not enough black or purple matches available.
    Juggling his countdown tiles could become a fun minigame. Try to get as many 4 ap hits in a row as possible.  His purple will always be used with 11 ap, but it wont be too hard to get a second hit out of it. Wait for a board with black matches available and you should get another good nuke out of it. Use green first, time it right, and that should be 2 rows cleared, possibly clearing out the shadowplay tiles as well. 
    We're hating on that 3 turn repeater, but I think its a decent second power. There will for sure be times it does 0 damage, but there should be times where it fires 2 or more times until the enemy is finished
  • jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    @Brigby the preview says 10ap for Loki’s green power but in-game it says 11. Can you fix the preview since they are unlikely to change the power cost in-game?
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's golden! But most likely will be his staff
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not really sure I'm sold on Loki. 

His black seems nice on paper, but if you get to the point where your characters are being downed, you're more often than not screwed anyway. I have never fired HoboCap's yellow, either. (Have you? Maybe that question is poll worthy :sweat_smile: )

Green is slow because of cost + repeater (first the turns to gather green AP, then wait for 3 more turns to kick in); on top of that it's vulnerable to being matched or destroyed. The destroyed row being random might even mean it the repeater tile will destroy itself.

Purple seems okay but a bit gimmicky. Also I think it could be improved if the countdowns would actually do something upon expiring as well. A cool synergy would be: if the counter reaches 0, reduce the count of 1 friendly repeater tile by 1.  But I guess a small AP steal or tile fortification could also work.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    I see they changed the preview to 11 AP for the green. Did they explain here (which I don’t see) or on Discord why this changed?  
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    It was clearly overpowered at 10 :/  
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    DeNappa said:
    Purple seems okay but a bit gimmicky. Also I think it could be improved if the countdowns would actually do something upon expiring as well. A cool synergy would be: if the counter reaches 0, reduce the count of 1 friendly repeater tile by 1.  But I guess a small AP steal or tile fortification could also work.
    I was thinking it would be cool if he got some degree of damage reduction based on how many of his Shadowplay tiles are out, as enemies attack his illusions instead of the actual Loki.
  • theomen
    theomen Posts: 99 Match Maker
    On playing Loki, it seems his black will only fire once per match a la Phoenix.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    DeNappa said:
    His black seems nice on paper, but if you get to the point where your characters are being downed, you're more often than not screwed anyway. I have never fired HoboCap's yellow, either. (Have you? Maybe that question is poll worthy :sweat_smile: )
    Yeah, for 4* & 5* players, his black seems like, at best, a panic switch ability.  To me, it's best for a 2* player who could definitely use a 1 black cover 5* Loki as an endless tank.  In that way, it's like the new OML for young rosters needing a tank who conserves health packs.
  • AlexNapalm
    AlexNapalm Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Right now my only champed 5*s are Okoye, LumberCap and JJ. My next highest covered 5* is Wasp at 8 covers and... well... we're all very proud of her. 

Loki is looking like a great partner for any of my 5*s. Excited to bring him onboard in the future.