MtGPQ Sneak Peek: July 2018 Edition *Updated (7/26/18)

Comments

• babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kinesia said:
    babar3355 said:
    bken1234 said:
    With what is available, I might go with 7/10. I tried to build a good Elspeth deck today and it's going to be a challenge in the new standard -- and there aren't a lot of creatureless options for RotGP, some people might be dusting off C1 which will make for interesting deckbuilding discussions. 

Who knows, maybe I'll bring Jaya in against Bolas, I played her creatureless in B4T and she was amazing on 4.2. 

Maybe I shouldn't spoil this for people who haven't thought about it, but Immortal Sun seems like it will remove the need to approach NB from a creatureless perspective.  But maybe not with the lose X creatures or less objective.  

It doesn't need to be creatureless regardless, that was just "easier". The first time I ever beat it was with Nahiri, Hazoret's Favor for haste and LifeLink creatures, took ages and was unreliable, but it was possible...
    I did it with a lightning runner energize deck for the first few times with no problem.  Then a couple of times he just pummelled me, and I went Ob from then on.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    (7/06/18) *Updated image overviews, Single Player events, and Multiplayer events.
  • gogol666
    gogol666 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2018
    I like the new three-week look ahead and the increased number of events.
    Way to go!
    Are we going to have elspeth in the vault before HoD?
  • Elektrophorus
    Elektrophorus Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    gogol666 said:
    Way to go!
    Elspeth is in the “coming soon” list already.
  • gogol666
    gogol666 said: 
    Way to go!
    Elspeth is in the “coming soon” list already.
    Thanks
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Brigby since RtO there has been a change where in some PvP events we are only playing decks from the specific node we are up against and some where we are playing decks from all nodes. 

Can you please verify which way HoD is programmed and also start adding this to the event descriptions in this thread. It makes a huge difference in deckbuilding (especially on an event like this where Elspeth's first shoots off tokens). 

Thank you. 
  • Hatter
    Hatter Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    The Long Cold Darkness was much better before, to short and to easy, why mess with a fun event
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    Hatter said:
    The Long Cold Darkness was much better before, to short and to easy, why mess with a fun event
    How can it be any easier? You can just play the first node over and over again. All it asks you to do is generate a couple tokens and pop out some cheapo supports.
  • Hatter
    Hatter Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Hatter said:
    How can it be any easier? You can just play the first node over and over again. All it asks you to do is generate a couple tokens and pop out some cheapo supports.
    I didn't say make it easier, I like the way it was when it first came out, that's all.. now one quick run through and nothing to do  for 4 days until the next one
  • DBJones
    DBJones Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Before, it was only two more battles than now. Building decks to get full points in every battle was more fun to me with the new objectives than replaying battles before.
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    @Brigby can we see the schedule for next week? Please give us a mid-week Coalition PVP event? Please?!
  • gogol666
    @Brigby can we see the schedule for next week? Please give us a mid-week Coalition PVP event? Please?!
    I double on this. Please, it is very important for coalitions to know the following week schedule.
    Thanks
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    (7/17/18) *Updated image overviews, Single Player events, and Multiplayer events.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh wow... a 5 day ROTGP...  So this either means we get the terrible scenario of having members wake up in the middle of the night to clear the last refresh, or the even worse outcome of having a 5 day ROTGP event.

I was looking forward to ROTGP until I saw that...
  • gogol666
    babar3355 said:
    Oh wow... a 5 day ROTGP...  So this either means we get the terrible scenario of having members wake up in the middle of the night to clear the last refresh, or the even worse outcome of having a 5 day ROTGP event.

I was looking forward to ROTGP until I saw that...
    C'mon again?
    We already complained a lot about this. Why again the boss health?
    We even asked for shorter events and we praised for the new shorter events. And for what? For a 5 day rotgp? 
    @Brigby how shall we ask for shorter events?
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    Boo! Boo! Hiss! @Brigby please, please change this.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Return of the dog pharaoh was always like that on the schedule, 3.5 Mio health should lead to an end at Monday latest.
    Still an annoyingly long event
  • gogol666
    Return of the dog pharaoh was always like that on the schedule, 3.5 Mio health should lead to an end at Monday latest.
    Still an annoyingly long event
    In fact last time I had to take a break from work at about noon on Monday because I'm in Europe. However, for people living on the us West coast the last refresh was at 3am on Monday morning, 6am on the east coast. 
    The real problem here is finishing the event on boss health. 
    Simple solution: 2-day rotgp AND a 2-day non coalition event on Monday or tuesday
  • joerginger
    joerginger Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    You got it. :) Two-day events should be the norm, perhaps with some one-day events in between. I honestly don't see any reason for horribly annoying stuff like six-day events with a boss health that doesn't even significantly reduce the grinding time. The way it is right now, the boss health only means that the last nodes are hit or miss depending on a coalition members' time zones and whether they manage to squeeze in playing the last node refreshes while they are at work.
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2018
    See, I partly agree, but I also think some events don't need timeouts! Like the current Journey through history, it hurts noone if they last 3 days, same with oath of the gatewatch. It doesn't hurt if they end up overlapping or anything like that.

It all totally totally depends...

EDIT:

To further clarify... I want more types of events, all of the existing ones, but also daily challenges, or puzzles (like the heroic story encounters), I want events that last a week that you can slowly work on bit by bit or binge based on your own time schedule, I want things I can't even think of, I want more story, I want tutorials (like Nissa's) for EVERY planeswalker.

Rather than anything strict to walk the wire I think a shotgun approach will end up balancing things far better for everyone. A lot of people talk about "adjust this just a little bit and then it'll suit me and people like me", but it we add hundreds of things instead people will always find something to suit themselves but it will also suit all the other people and maybe even bring in more that aren't currently catered to.

There are other games I play where there is too much content to do. We've seen here, in the past, that people get stressed when there is just _slightly_ too much to do and you have to push yourself but you can accomplish it, that level is stressful... But when there's 5 times the amount you can manage a different part of your brain takes over and instead of trying to work out how to fit it in, your instead start prioritising work vs reward (according to your own priorities) and you don't actually resent the stuff you can't manage.