MtGPQ Sneak Peek: July 2018 Edition *Updated (7/26/18)

Comments

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    I haven't groaned this hard in a while. I'm glad we're heard . 'Don't give us a 5 node, midweek event' ... Here, have this 5 node , midweek event. But don't worry, the weekend event is only 2. Hod elspeth is a nice change from awkward bolas fest. I'm still waiting for the time when the pw ends up in the vault without the community whining for it, but at least we'll be back to the normal bolas concentration. And weeeeeee. God Pharaoh . I hate it, but I'll take it over boft . Overall 6/10. I'm not mad , but I'm not gonna do a jig , either 
    With what is available, I might go with 7/10. I tried to build a good Elspeth deck today and it's going to be a challenge in the new standard -- and there aren't a lot of creatureless options for RotGP, some people might be dusting off C1 which will make for interesting deckbuilding discussions. 

Who knows, maybe I'll bring Jaya in against Bolas, I played her creatureless in B4T and she was amazing on 4.2. 

RtO midweek -- good -- wish it started on Tuesday, but I'll deal. 

Two familiar events with a new twist -- good -- anything but B4T -- such a well designed event -- wonderful the first time through -- but makes me feel like I'm going to die by the second journey.

We've had the situation many times before where the event was put up without the PW showing in the vault and they've added it -- so I'm not going to be alarmed about that until Thursday rolls around and it isn't there. 

Would love to play HoR in the new standard -- what ever happened to that? Teferi on white, yes please!

But I stick with 7/10 -- because no B4T!
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ratings out of ten are a thing now? Cool.
    I'll give 6/10.
    -2 for the grind part being during the week and the lacy part in the weekend
    -1 for hod because hod (required pw in outdated context)
    -1 for being repetitive and no real gaps between coalition events

Plus points for "finally something to do on a daily basis".
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    I give ratings out of ten a 3/10.
  • joerginger
    joerginger Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    I wouldn't go that high.

1 for AWR, the rest should be completely deleted and be forgotten forever. Once again, no breaks and a grindfest during the week.
  • boopers
    boopers Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    octal9 said:
    But way more important: an event with a required planeswalker that is not available in the vault? Really? That's pointless. 
    @Brigby this is a big problem - Elspeth really ought to be in the vault before this event goes live. It effectively removes the ability for players without her to have a chance at top slots for the individual leaderboard, and demands a high level of play to hit progression goals. This hurts progression (that is to say, earning new cards and moving up in effectiveness) for the less-hardcore crowd (e.g. players in silver and bronze). Can you please raise this issue with Oktagon ASAP?
    @Brigby I'm going to pile on.  Please at least let us know if adding Elspeth to the Vault on July 4th with the next rotation is at least being discussed, or if players will be left out in the cold.  We always appreciate the head's up on the event schedule, but what good does that info do us if we don't have the opportunity to react properly to that info?

• Dibski
    Dibski Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Also on the pile of please make sure Elspeth is available for purchase for the event, makes sense from both a business pov and a customer service pov, why it would be any other way I couldn't possibly imagine.
  • gogol666
    gogol666 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    @brigby since it looks like changing the schedule is possible (they just moved hod one week further) why don't we have rto on the weekend too? And a non-coalition event on Tuesday?
  • Imbrium
    Imbrium Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    @Kinesia are you rating the events, or rating the ratings?

• bk1234
    @Brigby it seems the event schedule changed but we didn’t get a note from you that it was updated. Which one is correct, this one which was posted a few days ago or the one that was up? 

Also, if it was changed because of Elspeth being in the vault; is there any reason why we can’t play RotGP (or any coalition event) this weekend?  

I can’t speak for everyone, but I’m not excited about a weekend without a coalition event — and I was really, really looking forward to RotGP (which is a well balanced PvE event— not too grindy like B4T and not to easy like AWR) with the new standard. 

Schedule Posted Earlier This Week

• gogol666
    gogol666 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    I agree with @bken1234
    Silently changing the schedule is not really nice. 
    Removing a weekend coalition event without releasing the pressure during the week is even worse, because we are getting a lot of grind until thursday and then a week of nothing.
    Again inserting in the schedule a bunch of non-coalition event would help a lot, because at least we would have something and we would not care if it is bugged or a required pw is not in the vault
  • HarryMason
    HarryMason Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    I didn't realize that a rating system would be controversial. I just wanted to emphasize that I'm extra meh about things. I also feel like that kid that didn't want to eat the broccoli ,so his mom threw out his whole dinner. Stuff is weird right now. Weeeeeiiiird .
  • bk1234
    I didn't realize that a rating system would be controversial. I just wanted to emphasize that I'm extra meh about things. I also feel like that kid that didn't want to eat the broccoli ,so his mom threw out his whole dinner. Stuff is weird right now. Weeeeeiiiird .
    I thought it was fun. I give this new schedule a 3/10 by the way. 
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2018
       It is great to see some playing content again but this last move is just beyond understanding. It has to be either a mistake or an abysmal misunderstanding of the players feedback...   

Removing a weekend coalition event leaving players with almost nothing to do when they have spare time ... While keeping a midweek coalition ( a 5 nodes one on top of that !!!) that will make players hardly able to deal with their own personal schedule (work, families, ...life you know).

Is it just me or players have been asking for the exact opposite of the new pvp schedule since ... Well ... Forever ?

The only explanation that could make sense would be that Rotgp was moved to this weekend instead of HoD but isn't appearing for some unknown reason.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    bken1234 said:
    With what is available, I might go with 7/10. I tried to build a good Elspeth deck today and it's going to be a challenge in the new standard -- and there aren't a lot of creatureless options for RotGP, some people might be dusting off C1 which will make for interesting deckbuilding discussions. 

Who knows, maybe I'll bring Jaya in against Bolas, I played her creatureless in B4T and she was amazing on 4.2. 

Maybe I shouldn't spoil this for people who haven't thought about it, but Immortal Sun seems like it will remove the need to approach NB from a creatureless perspective.  But maybe not with the lose X creatures or less objective.  
  • Rhasget
    Rhasget Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    babar3355 said:
    bken1234 said:

Maybe I shouldn't spoil this for people who haven't thought about it, but Immortal Sun seems like it will remove the need to approach NB from a creatureless perspective.  But maybe not with the lose X creatures or less objective.  
    He still packs Kefnets Last Word, but without his ability that isn't really a big problem.

I like the changes to more content and don't mind coalition events midweek. Although we take a casual approach in our coalition in midweek events and focus on the weekends to be competetive in.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ugh, not sure why this was edited.... if you want to audible HoD to make sure there is access to Elspeth, then at least replace it with something... Now there is absolutely nothing to do on Sunday except TG and a late afternoon NoP that isnt worth playing.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Oh apologies. I could've sworn I posted a reply in the thread, but I must've been mistaken. Sorry about that! It was not meant to be a silent change.

When it comes to why RotGP couldn't have been slotted into that earlier weekend, I believe it's because they're making changes to objectives and rewards. They wouldn't have been available in time for this weekend's run, which is why they preferred shifting it later, rather than earlier.
  • Kinesia
    Imbrium said:
    @Kinesia are you rating the events, or rating the ratings?

Rating the ratings, other people were covering the rest.

As for the events... Since we have more news from elsewhere... I was looking forward to RotGP but I'm willing to wait for the objective changes because that looks awesome!

Mostly I don't mind what's on, I just wish there was more timing flexibility...
    I know we often talk about giving an extra "six hours" or so at the end... But I'd actually like that at the start too, here in Oz Friday nights are almost ALWAYS dead time before the weekend starts. So first and last charges are twice as long, the rest the same. (First change having longer also helps events like B4T that have huge setup!)
  • Kinesia
    babar3355 said:
    bken1234 said:

It doesn't need to be creatureless regardless, that was just "easier". The first time I ever beat it was with Nahiri, Hazoret's Favor for haste and LifeLink creatures, took ages and was unreliable, but it was possible...