Jace, Cunning Castaway: Official Thread

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin

manabluepng Jace, Cunning Castaway manabluepng

(At Level 60)
+2 manawhitepng | +3 manabluepng | +2 manablackpng | +1 manaredpng | +1 managreenpng 
96 HP
Creatures: 6 | Supports: 5 | Spells: 8

Ability 1: Fight and Steal - Cost 8
Level 1 - Create a support with "At the end of the turn, if a creature you control dealt combat damage this turn, discard 1 card and draw 2 cards."
Level 2 - Create a support with "At the end of the turn, if a creature you control dealt combat damage this turn, discard 1 card and draw 3 cards."
Level 3 - Target creature gains Unblockable until end of turn. Create a support with "At the end of the turn, if a creature you control dealt combat damage this turn, discard 1 card and draw 3 cards."
Level 4 - Target creature gains Unblockable. Create a support with "At the end of the turn, if a creature you control dealt combat damage this turn, discard 1 card and draw 3 cards."

Ability 2: Illusionist's Illusion - Cost 14 
Level 1 - Create a 2/2 Blue Illusion token with "When this creature becomes the target of a spell, this creature is Destroyed."
Level 2 - Create 2 2/2 Blue Illusion token with "When this creature becomes the target of a spell, this creature is Destroyed."
Level 3 - Create 2 2/2 Blue Illusion token with "When this creature becomes the target of a spell, this creature is Destroyed." Create a support with "The first Illusion you control gains Hexproof."
Level 4 - Create 2 2/2 Blue Illusion token with "When this creature becomes the target of a spell, this creature is Destroyed." Create a support with "Illusions you control gain Hexproof."

Ability 3: I'm Over Here - Cost 21
Level 1 - Create a 2/2 Blue Illusion Wizard token with "Activate 2: Gain 3 Loyalty."
Level 2 - Create a 2/2 Blue Illusion Wizard token with "Activate 2: Gain 4 Loyalty."
Level 3 - Create 2 2/2 Blue Illusion Wizard token with "Activate 2: Gain 4 Loyalty."
Level 4 - Create 3 2/2 Blue Illusion Wizard token with "Activate 2: Gain 5 Loyalty."

Comments

• FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:

manabluepng Jace, Cunning Castaway manabluepng

(At Level 60)
    +2 manawhitepng | +3 manabluepng | +2 manablackpng | +1 manaredpng | +1 managreenpng 
    96 HP
    Creatures: 6 | Supports: 5 | Spells: 8

Ability 1: Fight and Steal - Cost 8
    Level 1 - Create a support with "At the end of the turn, if a creature you control dealt combat damage this turn, discard 1 card and draw 2 cards."
    Level 2 - Create a support with "At the end of the turn, if a creature you control dealt combat damage this turn, discard 1 card and draw 3 cards."
    Level 3 - Target creature gains Unblockable until end of turn. Create a support with "At the end of the turn, if a creature you control dealt combat damage this turn, discard 1 card and draw 3 cards."
    Level 4 - Target creature gains Unblockable. Create a support with "At the end of the turn, if a creature you control dealt combat damage this turn, discard 1 card and draw 3 cards."

Ability 2: Illusionist's Illusion - Cost 14 
    Level 1 - Create a 2/2 Blue Illusion token with "When this creature becomes the target of a spell, this creature is Destroyed."
    Level 2 - Create 2 2/2 Blue Illusion token with "When this creature becomes the target of a spell, this creature is Destroyed."
    Level 3 - Create 2 2/2 Blue Illusion token with "When this creature becomes the target of a spell, this creature is Destroyed." Create a support with "The first Illusion you control gains Hexproof."
    Level 4 - Create 2 2/2 Blue Illusion token with "When this creature becomes the target of a spell, this creature is Destroyed." Create a support with "Illusions you control gain Hexproof."

Ability 3: I'm Over Here - Cost 21
    Level 1 - Create a 2/2 Blue Illusion Wizard token with "Activate 2: Gain 3 Loyalty."
    Level 2 - Create a 2/2 Blue Illusion Wizard token with "Activate 2: Gain 4 Loyalty."
    Level 3 - Create 2 2/2 Blue Illusion Wizard token with "Activate 2: Gain 4 Loyalty."
    Level 4 - Create 3 2/2 Blue Illusion Wizard token with "Activate 2: Gain 5 Loyalty."
    Just to clarify: the Blue Illusion Wizard token from ability 3 will not be effected by the sacrifice-spell ability that effects Illusions created from ability 2, but does gain the benefits from the support created from ability 2, correct?

Can you give your opponents creatures unblockable from ability 1?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    @FindingHeart8 I'm not a developer, but based on the wording of the abilities, Jace's 2nd ability at level 4 will create Hexproof Blue Illusion tokens, without being automatically destroyed, since the Hexproof is passively granted by the support. Naturally, if the support is destroyed, then the Illusions become susceptible to being targeted.

Since the wording says "Target creature...", I would speculate that technically you can give your opponent's creatures Unblockable, if you so choose to do so.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2018
    Brigby said:
    @FindingHeart8 I'm not a developer, but based on the wording of the abilities, Jace's 2nd ability at level 4 will create Hexproof Blue Illusion tokens, without being automatically destroyed, since the Hexproof is passively granted by the support. Naturally, if the support is destroyed, then the Illusions become susceptible to being targeted.

Since the wording says "Target creature...", I would speculate that technically you can give your opponent's creatures Unblockable, if you so choose to do so.
    thanks for the speedy response Brigby.  I do empathize with your position of being the go-between, and having to speculate answers when you may not have been supplied the information.

I'd reach the same conclusion as your explanation based on the wording, however my focus was more on the similarity between the illusions in ability 2 to ability 3.

To simplify: In the card game, most tribal illusions come with the ability "If this creature becomes the target of a spell/ability, sacrifice it," which we can see here Octagon is attempting to replicate Jace's 2nd ability almost exactly, however his 3rd ability is entirely different from the paper mtg card.  Jace copies himself on the paper card, but mtgpq makes wizard illusions instead.

My question is will Jace's 3rd ability Illusion creatures be free from the illusion-sacrifice ability that illusion creatures from ability 2 are susceptible to, as they are likely also protected by the support that protects illusions?

As the cards read, the wizard illusions being separate (and without the sacrifice-ability) means they'll gain the perks from the hexproof support if it is in play, but not have the downsides of the sacrifice-ability.  However I could see this being an easy spot for Octagon to not have the card worded as its abilities are coded, which is why I'm inquiring.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    ::sigh::

More tokens that don't stack. 

I was really looking forward to him, but the tokens don't stack so who cares if the abilities play into each other -- we don't have the creature slots for a bunch of tiny tokens. 

Once, just once, can we a PW with tokens that stack???
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    would be nice to have stacking tokens, but with so few other illusion creatures to choose from (2) that is isnt a concern really, although a card like arcane adaption to make illusions would be nice, riddle form? that would work, but they are one turn
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    morgue427 said:
    would be nice to have stacking tokens, but with so few other illusion creatures to choose from (2) that is isnt a concern really, although a card like arcane adaption to make illusions would be nice, riddle form? that would work, but they are one turn
    You're overlooking the potential for other illusion creatures to show up in future sets. As this creature type has been a staple of MtG for a very long time, I'm certain we'll be seeing more of them eventually.
  • morgue427
    hate it when they do that, like energize on the kaladesh block. hey we have this great new mechanic but you have to wait till you can really use it
  • morgue427
    the ai gave one of my creatures that ability in a match this weekend, it was almost dead so really didnt see how it affective, not that it would have mattered i dont think since it was a cheap spell based deck
  • Wolfteeth
    Wolfteeth Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    MAKE THEM STACK!!!!
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:

Your speculation is right! And it is the only thing greg does when it comes to ability use : spamming his first, giving my creatures unblockable. Poor, stupid Greg..