Predictions for Our First Colorless Planeswalker

13»

Comments

• Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    There lies the rub; The converters ... that could get ugly really quick. 
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    yep it could but how it will be solved i got no clue, honestly i think they may pass on karn but i hope not
  • Gunmix25
    morgue427 said:
    yep it could but how it will be solved i got no clue, honestly i think they may pass on karn but i hope not
    Nor I. 
  • ard021
    ard021 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Gunmix25 said:
    I believe that if a colorless creature explores, it randomizes the converted gems.  That's probably what would happen with Karn and gem converters.

• Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Unless they can be very creative, they better just skip this one.  Limiting to just colorless cards (16 creatures and 17 spells in standard) would be worthless.  And after Bolas, I really don’t want to see a 5 color walker.
  • Gunmix25
    ard021 said:
    Gunmix25 said:
    I believe that if a colorless creature explores, it randomizes the converted gems.  That's probably what would happen with Karn and gem converters.

There are colorless supports that provide converted colored gems too.

• Blazer
    Blazer Posts: 84 Match Maker
    What about doing more with Loyalty gems, something like

Loyalty 9: Pick one of your next two cards and exile the other and gain 7/9/12/15 mana
    Loyalty 15: Return your last two exiled cards to your hand and have them gain 7/9/12/15 mana
    Loyalty 25: Pick any card you own and have its cost reduced to zero (legacy included)

Can only play colorless cards and mana bonuses +1 with a +6 Loyalty match.
  • ard021
    ard021 Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Gunmix25 said:
    ard021 said:
    Gunmix25 said:

There are colorless supports that provide converted colored gems too.

Yeah, I mean that anything that converts gems to a planeswalker's colors would just randomize the color for Karn.  It wouldn't be very useful most of the time.
    Unless they can be very creative, they better just skip this one.  Limiting to just colorless cards (16 creatures and 17 spells in standard) would be worthless.  And after Bolas, I really don’t want to see a 5 color walker.
    Ironically, they're going to skip Karn and instead do Urza.
  • morgue427
    lol that would add some suprise to the game if they used that version of urza.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
       What if he was able to use colorless and gold (multicolored) cards ?
       The idea might have been suggested before, neither am i sure it is good but that would give him access to a wider pool of card ... 

• FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bil said:
       What if he was able to use colorless and gold (multicolored) cards ?
       The idea might have been suggested before, neither am i sure it is good but that would give him access to a wider pool of card ... 

that would be pretty cool, though I feel like the majority of the multicolored spells are Amonkhet or Ixalan rares tho
  • morgue427
    almost all are gold or higher, i think it is the fact they are dual color that makes them that way because it can go in either color
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are 303 commons in standard. That plus all the colorless at higher levels give a _lot_ of creative options and include different types of removal.

He'd have a ton of options but at a far more reasonable power level and people would (possibly) find combos with common cards they never would have used before.

I prefer this to any of the options that let him use more powerful cards of any colour for one reason... Part of how we pick our decks and sideboard is based on what we "might expect" to be playing against, but if he can be a powerful red deck or a powerful blue _or_ a powerful white deck, suddenly I can't plan ahead even slightly. It's severe headgames.

This makes him flexible (which he should be) but not deliberately broken. (Including uncommons bumps it up to broken)

Look through the commons, you can still do a ton of stuff:
    https://mtgpq.info/cards/search?rarities=5&format=1

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brakkis said:
    Loyalty 9: Fetch one of the next two cards in your library and exile the other. Give that card 3/6/9/12 mana.

Loyalty 15: The last card/two cards in your Exile is/are returned to your hand and gain(s) 4/8/12/16 mana.

Loyalty 21: Create a 0/0 Construct. This creature gains +1/+1 (up to +4/+4) per artifact you control.

There are his abilities

Close!
  • Gunmix25
    edited April 2018
    Brakkis said:
    Loyalty 9: Fetch one of the next two cards in your library and exile the other. Give that card 3/6/9/12 mana.

Loyalty 15: The last card/two cards in your Exile is/are returned to your hand and gain(s) 4/8/12/16 mana.

Loyalty 21: Create a 0/0 Construct. This creature gains +1/+1 (up to +4/+4) per artifact you control.

There are his abilities

Close!
    Yes it was. Wow. Awesomesauce!