Official request to NEVER make more cards that prevent use of planeswalker abilities

Options
2»

Comments

• NinjaE
    NinjaE Posts: 213 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I haven't found it to be that bad once I adapted.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I admit I do not enjoy facing spyglass, sphinx, immortal sun cards, but the mechanic is interesting and forces you to shift strategy.

That being said, I'm okay with the current cards as-is (even if I have to encounter them once and a while when a lot of players win the card this event).  However I'd be opposed to making more cards that employ this mechanic.  The planeswalker abilities is what makes mtgpq unique; make a ton of new cards that take that away and we basically just have a watered down version of paper mtg with significant limitations.
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm in the camp supporting this mechanic (in a limited capacity). However, I think one of the frustrating things about it is that you see it's played (usually), but forget to take it into account, and so you see you have your abilities to use, go to use them, and there's confusion for a moment as you try to figure out what's going wrong. I think a better way to implement this effect would be for the support to drain loyalty rather than straight blocking.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DumasAG said:
    I'm in the camp supporting this mechanic (in a limited capacity). However, I think one of the frustrating things about it is that you see it's played (usually), but forget to take it into account, and so you see you have your abilities to use, go to use them, and there's confusion for a moment as you try to figure out what's going wrong. I think a better way to implement this effect would be for the support to drain loyalty rather than straight blocking.
    What if there was an indicator showing that your abilities are disabled?  Similar to how spells, supports, and creatures are shown?  That would probably help the situation
  • BenRama
    BenRama Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Options
    well, considering EVERYONE will be getting Immortal Sun, it's likely best to get used to not ever using PW abilities. That, or pack lots of disenchant. 
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    BenRama said:
    well, considering EVERYONE will be getting Immortal Sun, it's likely best to get used to not ever using PW abilities. That, or pack lots of disenchant. 
    With the way the meta is now, you should be packing some support hate anyway.  This is just another example of something to plan to kill
  • BenRama
    BenRama Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I just crafted Manglehorn, for Vraska.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    BenRama said:
    at 17 mana for a support that locks down both PW and only provides a mild boost to the player who casts it, I still see it as a setback for the player using it.
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'll add Silverclad Ferocidons to the list of non-spells that destroy supports.  Yeah she's expensive at 19 mana but super useful when paired with Forerunner of the Empire (triggers Enrage) and some cheap hatchlings.
    But back to the Immortal Sun, I don't yet have it but when Azor used it on 5.3 it actually benefited me more than him.  It kept me safe from his abilities and I already had Jace 2's ultimate out, buffing all my critters.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Please keep all comments on the topic of cards that prevent the use of Planeswalker abilities. If you wish to discuss cards that prevent players from casting Spells, then please start another thread. Thank you!
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    DumasAG said:
    What if there was an indicator showing that your abilities are disabled?  Similar to how spells, supports, and creatures are shown?  That would probably help the situation
    Yeah, greying them out or something is definitely needed. Likewise, they need a better way of showing where we are at in Azor's rotating list of disabled abilities in BoFT.