MPQ Sneak Peek: January 2018 Edition *Updated (1/24/18)

Comments

• Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Quebbster said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    So Thor leads off the new cycle of the Latest 5* essential? Curiouser and curiouser...
    Well, he was last essential before Christmas... I assume that's why he gets to start this time.
    Yeah, simply said, he is the latest that hasnt been essential the longest... (hope this reasoning wont get me into long useless debate about expectations and logic, or lack there of ;-) )
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Smart80 said:
    Quebbster said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    So Thor leads off the new cycle of the Latest 5* essential? Curiouser and curiouser...
    Well, he was last essential before Christmas... I assume that's why he gets to start this time.
    Yeah, simply said, he is the latest that hasnt been essential the longest... (hope this reasoning wont get me into long useless debate about expectations and logic, or lack there of ;-) )
    Yeah, the simplest explanation is probably the easiest. Of course, they could have remedied the issue of Thor not having been featured for so long by having made him the 5E for Strange Sights... :tongue:
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just accept that Demiurge throws darts to determine the 5* for PVE.
    Stop trying to find reasons.
  • Smart80
    edited January 2018
    Bowgentle said:
    Just accept that Demiurge throws darts to determine the 5* for PVE.
    Stop trying to find reasons.
    Whats the fun of a forum, without speculation?
    And Demiurge provides plenty fun this way.. :-)
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    edited January 2018
    *(1/16/18) Brigby - Updated Versus events and Story events
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    So anyone care to chime in as to why AA is being featured again before gambit?  Cuz you know, it went gambit, AA, Strange, Phx, Thor and then...   AA?
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe Archangel, and then Gambit, since Gambit has been in longer and probably better covered. They may be avoiding complaints of “Why Archangel for a release, my Gambit has 10 covers and Archie has 1!” Though whether this next release will have a required 5 is still waiting for next week’s news.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    So anyone care to chime in as to why AA is being featured again before gambit?  Cuz you know, it went gambit, AA, Strange, Phx, Thor and then...   AA?

Darts.

But I'm sure someone will come up with convoluted "reasons" again.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:

Darts.

The pattern is 3 Latest, 2 Classic. That is THE pattern. The only pattern.

Nothing is out of order, everything fits the pattern.

Maybe it is darts. Maybe it isn't. I doubt they'll tell us either way. I suspect we got what we got as a compromise in the first place (Devs want to focus on Latest for business reasons, players concerned with Classics as well because there's so many more of them to rotate through).

The reality is that so long as the 3L2C pattern remains intact, nothing is wrong, and they're doing exactly what they said they would. People focused on release order, or some idea that one order of Latest is superior or inferior to another, or more or less likely than another, simply need to meter their expectations a little.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    They want to run Gambit and Grocket as Essentials together again, obviously. It might even be a new character release for extra madness.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster said:
    They want to run Gambit and Grocket as Essentials together again, obviously. It might even be a new character release for extra madness.
    Frustrations with AA being featured again so soon aside (still don't have him, will only have about 40 pulls available if I try to get him), I have noticed what they tend to do is try to feature the 4* that's rotating out of the Latest 12 pool one last time, almost as a last hurrah of sorts. It happened most recently with Cloak and Dagger, but I've noticed it with others as well. 

This typically happens much closer to when the actual rotation happens. G4ocket seems to be pretty early, since the season started just last week. It's got me thinking the next release will be a 4*, so that way they can feature G4mora one last time right before the season ends. Then, the new season will start, G4ocket and G4mora will rotate out and Kraven and the other (possibly) new 4* will rotate in. 
  • Smart80
    Bowgentle said:

Darts.

Sure i will, thats what the forum is for after all..

I’d like to think d3 went with AA before Gambit, so most of us have a better covered 5ess for next release. (And simulator can be a drag, with and without a big boosted 5*)

But probably im not allowed to say this either.... :-)
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anyone feels that there is no synergy for the current team of Kraven, Deadpool and Moonstone in the first node of Webbed Wonders. I found myself ending match slower than usual for the first node with three loaners.

Is the simulator PvE on 22nd Jan the one where you fight X-Men and other Marvel characters instead of the usual minions like the Hand, Mindless Ones etc.? I remember getting destroyed by a certain team. I'm not sure if it's the one with 3* Gambit, Jean Grey, Ice Man or Prof. X.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Anyone feels that there is no synergy for the current team of Kraven, Deadpool and Moonstone in the first node of Webbed Wonders. I found myself ending match slower than usual for the first node with three loaners.

Is the simulator PvE on 22nd Jan the one where you fight X-Men and other Marvel characters instead of the usual minions like the Hand, Mindless Ones etc.? I remember getting destroyed by a certain team. I'm not sure if it's the one with 3* Gambit, Jean Grey, Ice Man or Prof. X.
    The essential “team” this time is one of the worst. Major overlap - no yellow or green.  Expensive powers. Moonstone.  And Kraven. 

Simulator - xmen version - has some very hard nodes, but nerfed 3* gambit could make some easier.  Edit:  they usually update Simulator with new teams, so we don’t know what it will really be yet.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    Inserting a 3* with the ability to create enemy special tiles would have put in immediate synergy over D3adpool. Patch, 3lektra, Hawk3ye, even 3* Captain Marvel would have been better, though Patch would have been best. But generally I find that there is rarely any synergy in those, and that single match always takes me way longer than I care for it to regardless of the event.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, now i remember playing with a board filled with green after a few turns and I was thinking to myself, "So many green aps collected, yet I can't use them."

That simulator PvE was really hard. I was down to 0 healthpack within 30 minutes due to that particular team that wiped out all my characters easily. I achieved less than 50% completion for that simulator PvE. Also, It was due to my choosing of SCL 4 when i was still building my 2*. However, I'm looking forward to the upcoming simulator PvE to see how far I can go.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    I'm starting to dread the Simulator now for the simple fact that I know Rogue's gonna be in it. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Match Maker
    Bowgentle said:

Darts.

I just posted about this in gen-discussion; before having read this thread.

I'm scratching my head right there with you; assuming you haven't rostered him either??
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Match Maker
    edited January 2018
    JHawkInc said:
    Bowgentle said:

Darts.

The pattern is 3 Latest, 2 Classic. That is THE pattern. The only pattern.

Nothing is out of order, everything fits the pattern.

Maybe it is darts. Maybe it isn't. I doubt they'll tell us either way. I suspect we got what we got as a compromise in the first place (Devs want to focus on Latest for business reasons, players concerned with Classics as well because there's so many more of them to rotate through).

The reality is that so long as the 3L2C pattern remains intact, nothing is wrong, and they're doing exactly what they said they would. People focused on release order, or some idea that one order of Latest is superior or inferior to another, or more or less likely than another, simply need to meter their expectations a little.
    I get that you're jaded and all, hence this event falling within your lane of expectations but to others where this drew their ire--I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some equitability in terms of rotation, even within the rules of 3-latest-2-classic, why run the same character back-to-back even within that pattern?  I defy you to justify that.

*EDIT, my mistake about excluding others from the rotation--I just saw Thor is in the mix before Archangel sees his sophomore debut as the 5* essential.  But still, reeks of foul play.

I can meet you on the agreement that any given order is whatevers, within the established pattern, but at least rotate the latest(s) before running it back to repeat a given character to the exclusion of the others because in that light, even the business interest argument starts to leak water.

Not sure if you've considered that perspective yet.
  • cpeyton3535
    cpeyton3535 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    bluewolf said:

The essential “team” this time is one of the worst. Major overlap - no yellow or green.  Expensive powers. Moonstone.  And Kraven. 

Simulator - xmen version - has some very hard nodes, but nerfed 3* gambit could make some easier.  Edit:  they usually update Simulator with new teams, so we don’t know what it will really be yet.
    Yup, worst synergy for the essential team-up in recent memory.  I plan to clear this node long before I start my final grind.  Failed to get all my clears last night because I underestimated how long this one would take. 

Plus, I don't know if it's just me, but wave nodes seem to be really 'sluggish' last couple of events.  I noticed a few high performers in my bracket missed their clears last node of last event and fell out of T2 as a result.  These are players that NEVER drop below T2.