MPQ Sneak Peek: January 2018 Edition *Updated (1/24/18)

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    I just realized that they again ran an essential that was boosted last week (Lockjaw), effectively making one less boosted 4 to use. It would be nice if the boosted list got bigger with almost 60 4*s now.
    I posted a thread about this in the suggestions forum, but didn't get any responses:

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/69374/increase-the-number-of-weekly-boosted-4-characters#latest

With the size of the boost list fixed as it has been for over a year, as they add characters they're also increasing the average time a player will have to wait between champing a character and being able to use them boosted.  It'd be nice if the size of the boost list was tied to a percentage of the tier size so it would gradually increase as they added more characters.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:
    broll said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    bluewolf said:
    The pattern tends to be 4/4/5.  America, ??? 4, so should be 5 next.
    I think there was only one week between Archangel and America though, and in those instances, I think they've tended to go with three 4*s in between. But of course, that's always subject to change.
    There was 10 days between their releases: 12/14 & 12/24.  1/11 will be 18 days.  I think they did America 4 days early because they wanted the new release on Christmas because they hate us spending time with families.  I'd expect the it to be America, New 4, New 5 as per usual.
    They broke the pattern back with Thor, and I have a hunch they'll fix it like they did with Spidey. They did Doc Ock, Sandman, Spidey, which was 5/4/5, but made up for it with Vulture, Mockingbird, Yondu right after, 4/4/4.

Daredevil, Lockjaw, Rogue, 5/4/4, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Thor, 5/4/5, Thor was early to be alongside his movie's release.

Then we have Hulk, Nico, Angel, 4/4/5. I originally thought they'd do the 4/4/4 here and release Angel at Christmas (like Thanos last year), but apparently not.

If they kept going on the new pattern, America, Kraven, and then an Unknown would fit 4/4/5 again, just like you're saying, with Kraven out on the 11th, that Unknown 5* would be coming around the 25th.

But if they "fix" it back to the original schedule and do a third 4* instead, to make up for Thor coming "early", it would delay a 5* release until Feb 8th (assuming the normal two weeks between releases). Then, they could be running a 5* store alongside Black Panther's theatrical release.

Now, I have no idea who would make a good 5* to capitalize on the Black Panther movie for cross promotion, but they've moved enough 5*s to fit movie releases that I don't really see them passing this one up. (of course, the cynical counterpoint to that is that they do a new 5 like what you're saying, around the 25th, do a 4* a week early on Feb 1st, which they've been known to do from time to time, then do another 5* two weeks later, even closer to the movie release)
    Ah, nice work setting things straight with the release orders. I really should set up a spreadsheet of my own to track these things. 

I agree with you, that I can't imagine them passing up the opportunity to do a 5* tied to the Black Panther movie. But I'm also struggling to come up with who would get that honor. I can see them wanting to possibly add Killmonger or Klaw, but I personally don't see them as 5* candidates. A real crazy, off-the-wall guess would be 5* Storm, since she and T'Challa were married in the comics, but that has nothing to do with the MCU (at least for now; maybe they'll add Storm in the sequel?).
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:
    broll said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    bluewolf said:
    I think there was only one week between Archangel and America though, and in those instances, I think they've tended to go with three 4*s in between. But of course, that's always subject to change.
    There was 10 days between their releases: 12/14 & 12/24.  1/11 will be 18 days.  I think they did America 4 days early because they wanted the new release on Christmas because they hate us spending time with families.  I'd expect the it to be America, New 4, New 5 as per usual.
    They broke the pattern back with Thor, and I have a hunch they'll fix it like they did with Spidey. They did Doc Ock, Sandman, Spidey, which was 5/4/5, but made up for it with Vulture, Mockingbird, Yondu right after, 4/4/4.

Daredevil, Lockjaw, Rogue, 5/4/4, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Thor, 5/4/5, Thor was early to be alongside his movie's release.

Then we have Hulk, Nico, Angel, 4/4/5. I originally thought they'd do the 4/4/4 here and release Angel at Christmas (like Thanos last year), but apparently not.

If they kept going on the new pattern, America, Kraven, and then an Unknown would fit 4/4/5 again, just like you're saying, with Kraven out on the 11th, that Unknown 5* would be coming around the 25th.

But if they "fix" it back to the original schedule and do a third 4* instead, to make up for Thor coming "early", it would delay a 5* release until Feb 8th (assuming the normal two weeks between releases). Then, they could be running a 5* store alongside Black Panther's theatrical release.

Now, I have no idea who would make a good 5* to capitalize on the Black Panther movie for cross promotion, but they've moved enough 5*s to fit movie releases that I don't really see them passing this one up. (of course, the cynical counterpoint to that is that they do a new 5 like what you're saying, around the 25th, do a 4* a week early on Feb 1st, which they've been known to do from time to time, then do another 5* two weeks later, even closer to the movie release)
    Or will they do a 4* Black Panther since he already has a 5* and 3*?  That was my guess on what they'd do for new character.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    broll said:
    JHawkInc said:
    broll said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    bluewolf said:

Or will they do a 4* Black Panther since he already has a 5* and 3*?  That was my guess on what they'd do for new character.
    Hope they just go with 4* Klaw and be done with it. Or a 3/5? Wait, we just got that with Angel. Still, classic Klaw isn’t just some smuggler with a sound cannon; he’s composed of living sound. Could easily go with 5* Klaw (Classic)/3* Klaw (Ulysses Klaue)
  • vinsensual
    vinsensual Posts: 458 Mover and Shaker
    Let's all stop pretending like we don't expect another 5* black panther.  They did it with Spidey, who also doesn't have a Parker 4* variant.  And instead of giving the first 5* BP an MCU tag, they went with a very uninspired "Civil War" tag.  None of the other Civil War releases mention anything about the event, when IM and Cap are even using those specific covers.  
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    I dont think anybody is expecting that. Maybe some fear it, but def not expect another bp5. 
    Current BP clearly is the one from the movies, bssm wasnt
    Spidey was worthy of a second 5, more than most and surely more than Panther. And i know a couple more that should get first or even second 5* before him..

my hope, couple 4s from BP movie and X-men 5*
  • djrdjr
    djrdjr Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    BFF should add Daredevil and Electra
  • Smart80
    djrdjr said:
    BFF should add Daredevil and Electra
    Thats indeed an obvious one. 

And perhaps make it so you pick a duo, so you need to use both together..
  • jamesh
    If the characters were only boosted when matched in a pair, it would further reduce the variety of opponents in the tournament.

Also, it would raise the bar for new players wanting to play competitively: rather than just requiring two characters from the boosted list at a high level, they'd need two characters from the boosted list who happen to be paired up.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    *(1/10/18) Brigby - Updated Versus events, Story events, and Deadpool's Dailies
  • Smart80
    jamesh said:
    If the characters were only boosted when matched in a pair, it would further reduce the variety of opponents in the tournament.

Also, it would raise the bar for new players wanting to play competitively: rather than just requiring two characters from the boosted list at a high level, they'd need two characters from the boosted list who happen to be paired up.
    Like there is now such great variety with gambolt everywhere? ;-)

You wanna increase variety, yet you want people to just use their 2 highest levels (like always)? That dont make sense.. :-)

its a bit of a gimmick event with just 2 toon teams.. no season.. id say, if you want a special event (like BOP, or the 2*/3*/4* pvp i cant remember name from right now..), might as well go all in with it

Although, if they choose to incorparate it into the characters (like rng4 boost with fellow guardian, that would be even better
  • jamesh
    Not everyone has the same two highest level characters.  And there's a decent sized list of boosted characters at the 4* and 3* levels, so I have been seeing a fair bit of variety in opponents.  If the complaint is that Gambit dominates at the 5* tier, what else is new?
  • Milk Jugz
    Milk Jugz Posts: 1,122 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2018
    jamesh said:
    Not everyone has the same two highest level characters.  And there's a decent sized list of boosted characters at the 4* and 3* levels, so I have been seeing a fair bit of variety in opponents.  If the complaint is that Gambit dominates at the 5* tier, what else is new?
    I've actually seen quite a variety in BFF.

Gambit/Bolt is the most prevalent (and, I'm not gonna lie, my duo)
    But there has also been
    Gambit/DD
    Gambit/Thor
    Gambit/Thanos
    I've even seen a
    Gambit/Surfer and a
    Gambit/Cap5

There has been the less prevalent, jump on them EVERY TIME you queue them (not very often)
    DD/Thor
    OML/Phoenix
    OML/Surfer

So, yeah, lots of diversity......

I forgot Gambit/Parker

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe there isn't much diversity for very seasoned players (4*/5* land). At my level (stepping into 3* land), I can see much more varieties. The only two teams that are quite scary to deal with are teams with 1) 2*/3* + 5* with 1 to 3 covers or 2) 2 5* plus loaner. It's the match damage and critical tiles that makes me use a lot of healthpack and I tend to avoid them. I believe they could try some new scaling and points gained but coding/execution-wise, it might be quite intense for the server. 

In a few more weeks, there might be new 5*. That might be a 5* Gambit counter just like what 4* Kraven looks to be doing to Medusa/R4G/Gamora.

I hear that there will be usually some kind of tie-in with upcoming movie release. We are looking at Black Panther and Infinity War.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:

I may be a bad person, but I don't care about any of that.  It's best friends.  They support and encourage each other.  Daredevil and Elektra together being boosted makes sense.  Daredevil and Kingpin, less so.  In fact, that should result in negative interference and a lowering of levels.

If you're going to have thematic events, make the game mechanics support that theme,

I may have mentioned something like that before: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/580913/#Comment_580913.

• jamesh
    jamesh said:

I may be a bad person, but I don't care about any of that.  It's best friends.  They support and encourage each other.  Daredevil and Elektra together being boosted makes sense.  Daredevil and Kingpin, less so.  In fact, that should result in negative interference and a lowering of levels.

If you're going to have thematic events, make the game mechanics support that theme,

I may have mentioned something like that before: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/580913/#Comment_580913.

Thinking about it a bit more, it could work quite well if they massively expanded the boost list to cover all the pairs people keep on asking to add, and then some.  With a large enough list, you'd get a similar number of people who have champed BFF boosted pairs as people with two boosted champs in regular events, reducing the participation problems.

It might also be fun having to discover who the pairs are manually.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards

I hear that there will be usually some kind of tie-in with upcoming movie release. We are looking at Black Panther and Infinity War.
    Let’s see. Possibilities for Infinity War. Nebula or maybe Mantis. One of Thanos’ various goons. Captain Beardmerica. 4* Thor with one eye (too soon after Ragnarok, please no). Spider-Man (Iron Spider), putting him in every tier and he was in the dang suit in the trailer, I can forgive this one being only a year after 5pidey, please put this one in.
    Um... 5* Scarlet Witch? Or, you know... Iron Spider.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    zodiac339 said:

Let’s see. Possibilities for Infinity War. Nebula or maybe Mantis. One of Thanos’ various goons. Captain Beardmerica. 4* Thor with one eye (too soon after Ragnarok, please no). Spider-Man (Iron Spider), putting him in every tier and he was in the dang suit in the trailer, I can forgive this one being only a year after 5pidey, please put this one in.
    Um... 5* Scarlet Witch? Or, you know... Iron Spider.
    I want Nebula for Infinity War. She has a big role in the story arc, and she was one of the best members in the second Guardians of the Galaxy. Of course, she might have a greater role in the second part of Inifinity War, but she deserves the roster spot in MPQ. 
  • Smart80
    jamesh said:
    Its mainly about the potential not being fully used for this event. 

People not using gambolt probably has 1 reason: not having 1 or both... lol

But gambit v gambit is getting tiresome for sure. Maybe just fix with whole game by locking him out? :-)

But again, this is no anti gambit rant. Just want someone to show me the comic where gambit and bolt are BFFs (or even in 1 shot... )