Future Mechanic Request: Supports

Options
13»

Comments

• Gilesclone
    Gilesclone Posts: 735 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I’ve been putting Release the Gremlins into most of my PvP red decks recently and it has been very successful.  It helps that the AI prioritizes Creatures over supports.
  • MDsupa
    MDsupa Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    so in the mean time pure Black and Pure Blue & Tezz2 can just live with supports ;)
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MDsupa said:
    so in the mean time pure Black and Pure Blue & Tezz2 can just live with supports ;)
    Yep. This is the biggest problem.

There shouldn't be any colours that become intrinsically unviable.

The strategies they have in paper to deal with supports don't work here properly. (The same as the strategies green has to deal with creature destruction don't work.)

In paper some of the annoying supports have mana costs attached which blue could fight against, or they can be overwhelmed by multiple small creatures instead of one big one.

(I'm not asking for those specific solutions, just that it be considered what each colour has lost by the way things have been converted and adding solutions back in.)

• Skiglass6
    Skiglass6 Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This won’t help the Black Blue situation but if we can’t get targeted support removal, I wish it would at least destroy non-token support that has been on the board the longest. 
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    black has a support destroyer card in legacy: Anguished Unmaking. One of the better designed cards too. 
  • MDsupa
    MDsupa Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    wereotter said:
    MDsupa said:
    Kinesia said:
    There is already "destroy all token supports and creatures" which you can pack to clear the chafe and then cast your normal random removal card.

Other options might be "Destroy the support with the highest number of charges" or the least.

You can mix it up and add weird costs, "Destroy a chosen support of the enemy and lose a random non-token one of yours" which would almost work in black, though better with a creature sacrifice too.

Lots of different ways...

I'm looking forward to Ixalan just to see if Oktagon have been creative (not just in this area but other stagnant ones, like "Counter spells")
    Right, because everyone has the Masterpiece card of destroying all token supports & creatures.

I like the highest shield/charges one

these are some creative ways to improve it.  let's see what Oktagon do.
    Consulate Crackdown is a rare, and destroys all your opponent's supports. The problem, as I stated, isn't rarity, it's that the card costs 24 mana to cast. No one is going to take that into a normal PvP match because it simply costs too much to just cover your bases have have it "just in case". Most encounters there are few enough supports in play or they aren't so beneficial as to require you to clear them all off the field. It's just those handful of matches where the fact that support removal is either incredibly expensive and global or cheap and random that's the problem.

And yes, there are other options, but Release the Gremlins only destroys three rather than all and is still 16 mana, Hour or Revelation, Cataclysmic Gearhulk, and The Great Aurora all wipe out everything and are all mythic rare and both hurt you as much as your opponent. Shatterstorm and Maelstrom Pulse are the only two that are affordable enough to bring in to most matches, and both are locked behind masterpiece rarity.
    he mentioned the card that "Destroy All token supports and creatures" which is Maelstrom Pulse which is Masterpiece card.