Updates to Hulk Events and S.H.I.E.L.D. Training (11/15/17)

Options

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It would have been super helpful to get the Nightcrawler cover from simulator before training ends. But nope, last minute chamberpot dump on the head flushes that. 
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Richyyy said:
    Funny thing is, my Rogue is now at 3/4/3 - exactly what she needs to be to be able to raise her to lvl209. As someone who plays the game a lot (and for a long time) but doesn't spend vast sums of money, that suggests that if you'd just run these SHIELD Training events one character further back they'd be viable for a lot more people and piss a lot fewer people off.

Or, what I'd prefer - just make them really freaking hard. Boost only the characters you want people to spend on, so it still earns money the same way it does already, but don't actually gate it by covers at all. Let people try the final PlanetHulk/LT nodes with 1*s if they want, and get creamed. Let them try it with strong champed 4*s and maybe get close 1 time in 10. Let the champed 5* players likely manage it, but if you set up the boosts right maybe have more issues than a champed Nightcrawler would have. Wouldn't that be better?
    Of course, if it is only gated by difficulty then players will just use Deadpool super whales.  You can save up enough Deadpool points for a few shots of that in the month between runs of SHIELD Training.  Maybe that's why they decided to gate on character level?
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mpqr7 said:
    So... I have literally every 4* championed (rogue is at 13 covers) EXCEPT for Nightcrawler, who is at 3 covers.

Let me repeat that. EVERY SINGLE 4* CHAMPIONED, other than Rogue (13 covers) and Nightcrawler (3 covers).

Yet you're saying I STILL haven't done enough to deserve the new Hulk in this new game mode???
    ....All you have to do is place tops in the PvE release while also in a top alliance, get the PvP progression, win the debut PvP, pick up the progressions the following PvE, and luck into a cover from the vault (IIRC).

Or win the release PvE and benefit from the double cover bug, and get the alliance cover a/o the following progressions.

Either way, you get 10 covers without spending.

Well, you make it sound so easy!! You just have to play like crazy and do an endless list of things!!! Sign me up!
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    benefit from the double cover bug.
    What's this double cover bug you speak of? 

• Phaentom
    Phaentom Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Brigby said:
    As a completionist player myself, I can understand the frustration behind potentially not completing the entire event. It makes sense that a lot of players strive to hit max progression on every event and mission possible. 

Having said that though, the intent behind this extra event is to reward players during the process of growing their characters, while also recognizing the veterans and supporters that have strong, established rosters. This does not replace the usual events that reward covers, but rather accompanies it as an added bonus to the reward structure players are already used to.

As mentioned in the original post though, we're open to listening and reviewing feedback, so please feel free to continue sharing your thoughts! :)
    You mean it's a way to reward the people that spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars to champ a brand new 4* character.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Options
    24h into the event - out of my bracket of 1000, six (6) total players have the required toons to make it through the top section.

That doesn’t seem like the right type of ratio that is rewarding players as their growing their rosters.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mpqr7 said:
    So... I have literally every 4* championed (rogue is at 13 covers) EXCEPT for Nightcrawler, who is at 3 covers.

Let me repeat that. EVERY SINGLE 4* CHAMPIONED, other than Rogue (13 covers) and Nightcrawler (3 covers).

Yet you're saying I STILL haven't done enough to deserve the new Hulk in this new game mode???
    Sounds like a case of "What have you done for me lately?"

You don't have to spend a dime on tokens to complete SHIELD Training. All you have to do is place tops in the PvE release while also in a top alliance, get the PvP progression, win the debut PvP, pick up the progressions the following PvE, and luck into a cover from the vault (IIRC).

Or win the release PvE and benefit from the double cover bug, and get the alliance cover a/o the following progressions.

Hence the biggest issue with Shield training.  Not only do you have to do all of this for ME Hulk but you had to do it for Night Crawler as well, or you pull a big hoard of LT and get lucky with NC.
  • kenshohmer2
    kenshohmer2 Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Options
    mpqr7 said:

You don't have to spend a dime on tokens to complete SHIELD Training. All you have to do is place tops in the PvE release while also in a top alliance, get the PvP progression, win the debut PvP, pick up the progressions the following PvE, and luck into a cover from the vault (IIRC).

You need 13 covers to complete shield training. Not 10
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Even if I had the 10 covers needed for nightcrawler to get that hulk cover, I still wouldn't level him up for it.

Just too many other places more valuable for that iso to go than for a single cover and a leveled 10 cover character I won't use until champed and boosted for an event.

If the 3rd tier was something more reasonable like 150, I might consider it, but 200 is way too much of an investment when I can put that iso towards champing a 4 or keeping my farm running. I really feel sorry for the players that would need to put iso into the other characters too. 

" Hey, waste a bunch of iso to get a few 2 star tokens, and a single 4 star! It's totally worth sacrificing actual progression to your roster."
  • Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yes, but it's just 'future' iso that you would be putting into NC eventually. Agreed on the near term potential sacrifice if you have covers expiring, but if you plan ahead, spend to level NC up so that you are 1 cover ahead on your MEHulk progress.
    I know I know, 1 cover doesn't mean much when it's the only 1 you will have, but, you will someday be at 12 covers on MEHulk and wondering if you should have just leveled NC up to earn that 1st one...
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Brigby said:
    As mentioned in the original post though, we're open to listening and reviewing feedback, so please feel free to continue sharing your thoughts! :)

...as long as those feedback and thoughts are an echo chamber that matches exactly what we're already thinking.  Any dissenting or conflicting opinions will require us to send you to the "re-education" centers to be "thought cleansed" so you will "get it" in the future.

/S.H.I.E.L.D. Training is by far the worst event in the game.  It is the Cartmanland of events.  It could be nice if the **** level requirements weren't there, but we aren't allowed to have nice things so it stays.

**edit**
    To be clear, only the level requirements at the top are tinykittyly stupid.  I have no qualms with the bottom row having them (though, instead of level, I think they should use a cover requirement).
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mpqr7 said:

Just wanna point out that this is literally me as well.

Rogue and NC are the only 4*s not champed and my Rogue is about half way there. If the required character was literally anyone other than NC or the new Hulk I could finish it.
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Update now that pve/pvp complete  - Out of 1000, 3 have 6000 points - no one has completed event.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,369 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Without having read through the entire thread (so it could be that this point has been mentioned already), I'd like to add my own 2 cents to the whole 'extra reward for veterans/long time players' viewpoint

While I'm a reasonably long time player (resupply in the 1050s I think) and a completionist player (wanting to roster and cover all characters), I still feel cheated a bit, and not because of the 'get covers fast for a new character' issue that has been mentioned already, but because I'm a "Slow and steady progression" player. That is, I do play pretty consistently, but I'm not chasing each and every reward (in order to prevent burnout and keep things fun). Combine that with the RNG related nature of progression, and you will eventually end up with characters that are undercovered for a longer time.

In my case, I have about 15 4* characters champed and an additional 3 maxcovered. However, I also have quite a few characters that are very slow in receiving covers, and among them are some of the older ones. For example, Teen Jean and Kate Bishop at 5ish covers, and Thing at 6 covers.

tl;dr: even more seasoned players may not meet the 'classic' requirements.
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I dont understand why so many complaint about a bonus feature. Sure, not easy to meet requirements, but it doesnt have to be easy to get something good. Each node you can do is more than we had before.

Complaints about not having a good enough NC are not really fair either, cause he is in packs and available as Bonus Hero. If you hoarded cp a little bit in the last weeks and played well during his release, you got enough probably. If not, this isnt for you i guess. (Mine 3/4/8 now)

Finishing whole event will be very difficult and will require spending some or a lot of money. Im fully f2p, so this normally isnt for me either i guess. 
    But as i hoarded quite some Hero Points, i wanted to see if i could have a shot (Mine 2/4/4 now)... However, because of the pvp tokens bug for closed event vault and only 1 cover in Hulk and Friends vault, i dont see real option to get extra without having to get lucky and resetting that vault a couple times... or am i missing something?
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    mpqr7 said:

You need 13 covers to complete shield training. Not 10
    I thought 12 was enough, like on lower nodes it “cheats” a level as well, so 250 would be enough if that reasoning extrapolates...

Still more than the 10 you replied on though.. :-)
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I am okay with the design here. The progression part of this event is to get 10k iso. I just regard the last LT reward as the placement reward. As someone already pointed out that you can achieve 8 covers by performing well in both pve and pvp events. Now for the next shield training, you can get that extra one or two covers from tokens or shield simulator. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,317 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am disappointed by the following:

1.  The PVP tokens were strange “post event tokens” and there was no purchase option.
    2.  The Shield training closed Thursday morning (around 8am est).
    3.  What is not closed?  Webbed Wonder, which rewards Hulk vault tokens.  The Hulk vault.  The Sakaar arena, which also rewards tokens from which you might pull MEH.

Am I the only player who sometimes waits to spend until after seeing what I get from earned tokens?  Maybe if Shield Training (aka spending incentive) had stayed open for one more day, some more people would have bought out the vault.  Which seems like a win - win.  Why remove a spend-now event early?  At least wait until after Webbed Wonder ends.

I realize the Sakaar arena is different from the past couple 4* roll outs, but this seems like a misstep to me.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Smart80 said:

Finishing whole event will be very difficult and will require spending some or a lot of money. Im fully f2p, so this normally isnt for me either i guess. 
    But as i hoarded quite some Hero Points, i wanted to see if i could have a shot (Mine 2/4/4 now)... However, because of the pvp tokens bug for closed event vault and only 1 cover in Hulk and Friends vault, i dont see real option to get extra without having to get lucky and resetting that vault a couple times... or am i missing something?
    Realistically your are talking about rosters that can win scl9  (5 covers) + (1 cover from next pve)
    and win scl8 pvp   (2 covers)  + (1 cover from next pvp)
    and get the 1 cover from shield training 

Thats 10 covers from placement and 3 covers from lucky draws/whale sources.  Not impossible but not common.