How to get top 10 in pvp?

Options
mpqr7
mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards

It's hard for the average person to get to 1200, but it's doable. But I think it's asking a lot for people to be expected to need to get to 1200 x 2 as a minimum without massive coordination, or even 1200 x 4 or more? Yeah, right.

I don't have a problem with people making high scores, but I think it's very silly that forcing the 15 cp into top 10 is somehow supposed to be an improvement and not seen as taking it away from those who were able to hit 1200.

The scores below top 10 are in the 800 to 1000 range, so after top 10, people just don't really care.

And yeah I assume the answers are basically "try a different shard or SCL other than s4, SCL 9." Which then gets me blamed for stealing top 10 from weaker rosters. So, sorry in advance for that.

Comments

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,274 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The same is happening in lower SCL, people will collude and cooperate to fill those and then just hop each other forever­.

You're not hitting top10 unless you're "in" on the collusion.
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Likely, but not entirely true. 

• Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    corytutor said:
    Likely, but not entirely true. 

In s4, more than likely. That's one of the reasons I switched slices.
  • corytutor
    Options
    It just depends how long you've been in a slice. I dont play 4 often usually s1 and s3, and ive been in both long enough to know who is going to be worth good points and who is likely to drop a grill. All i really have to do is  skip. A lot. 

Depending on how active it is i spend anywhere from 3 to 15k an event. Average is probably close to 7k. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hence the reason so many players complained abound moving the cp to placement from progression.  These scores will now also move to lower CL.  If you don’t care about the 40 win progression you can star late and climb in the last 8 hrs and look to sneak into top 10 in a new bracket.  If you are in a high scoring slice and start right away you will need to score really high for top 10 and be ready to spend a lot on shields
  • corytutor
    Options
    Lololol. That stinks. Sorry tint
  • Punishu777
    Punishu777 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    It will move to every shard in cl 5 and 6 as the multi-champ 5* players move to those cl to get easier t10. All the smaller rosters who wanted this will still never get cp. 
  • LifeofAgony
    LifeofAgony Posts: 690 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Go to s2 - t10 is easy there.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    corytutor said:
    It just depends how long you've been in a slice. I dont play 4 often usually s1 and s3, and ive been in both long enough to know who is going to be worth good points and who is likely to drop a grill. All i really have to do is  skip. A lot. 

Depending on how active it is i spend anywhere from 3 to 15k an event. Average is probably close to 7k. 
    I had actually been kind of wondering about how much people were spending on skipping. That certainly explains a lot of the differences between what I see described on the forum and what I see myself.
  • Beta-Ray Bill
    Beta-Ray Bill Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Everyone who wanted this to happen are starting to regret it. Now lose your cp and your placement. Just so you can get some 4* you’ll never use lol
  • corytutor
    Options
    I had actually been kind of wondering about how much people were spending on skipping. That certainly explains a lot of the differences between what I see described on the forum and what I see myself.
    It really just depends. How active the slice is, the strength of the featured toon, the boosted list, and most importantly, mpq politics lol. If your in a line alliance in t100, thetes a good chance that at some point your team may "war" against another. In instances like that 20k iso and thousands of hp can disappear quickly.  
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Cp is far and away the most valuable resource in the game.  Especially as compared to 4* covers.  Getting 5*s is 85% inefficient and the byproduct is 4* covers, so building a good 5* roster requires building a good 4* roster.  

No one in 5* land really cares about losing the 4* prog from pvp.  It only matters for new releases.  By contrast they will dip to cl5 for cp everytime.  It will takr a very lucky bracket for any 2* and 3* players in cl5 and 6 to get a top 10 without bracket sniping.

Alexis: yes, skipping without regard to the tax is an important part of pvp play.  I expected to spend a few k at least each event.  And i play much less than cory.  Yet another example of the failure here being an informational one (those people who think they benefit from this change for the most part would be better off under the old system if they understood the system better.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Everyone who wanted this to happen are starting to regret it. Now lose your cp and your placement. Just so you can get some 4* you’ll never use lol
    Those 4* covers also leads to cp once championed. If  you never made 1200 before, you aren't losing any cp anyway. Though I agree with the majority that 40 wins is way too much for what was 900
  • KinDM
    KinDM Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Options
    I PvP lightly, depending on how I feel. I had to hit over 700 just for the 10cp, and have 24 more matches to win for a 4*. Pretty much all against teams of 5* champs. I'm not even going to attempt it, because I'll probably have to outdo the best I've ever bothered to hit just to get to one 4* cover. This new system is bad, and D3 should feel bad :zoidberg:
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pongie said:
    Those 4* covers also leads to cp once championed. If  you never made 1200 before, you aren't losing any cp anyway. Though I agree with the majority that 40 wins is way too much for what was 900
    Yea. It now they miss out on better placement for the 3* covers.  Instead of possible getting 3 they now get 1-2 and that is more cp and eventual 4* covers
  • Beta-Ray Bill
    Beta-Ray Bill Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Pongie said:
    Trust me I respect the fact that I get a champ level each pvp. Should I remind you, in order to get the cp from every cover you have to wait until it’s alphabetically cycles through.

40 wins for a cover that you won’t see for another year to reach for the cp champ rewards. Which only is really the same if you have them almost fully champed.

Looking at it that logic would be super flawed. You still have better chance by earning the cp at 1200 and pulling the cp. this system robbed us of the most important resource we use. That mr fantastic cover got me a whole 4 cp vs 1200 progression I used to always get every event.

im just asking not to throw me in with people who can’t do it. Esp at cl8... brah...
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "How to get top 10 in pvp?"

Lots of things, but the keys are:  play well with others, ask nicely, follow directions.
    I used to be a strong team player in the X-World, and that only got me to 1700+ at most. Even if the whole alliance family was on my side, there were plenty of people outside that world who would slaughter me on my hops. I know it's certainly possible to make 2400+, but I don't think it's as nearly as easy as brigby and the d3 team make it out to be. Nor do I think they truly understand that being top 10 for most vets means that they have to hit 2400+ points.
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    sinnerjfl said:
    The same is happening in lower SCL, people will collude and cooperate to fill those and then just hop each other forever­.

Collusion? Line and alliance play aren’t a secret. It’s not like we are the reason Kapernick can’t get a job in the NFL. Lol
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    sinnerjfl said:

You can do it, but you need to have a very strong roster.  I finished 6th in the last PvP without using Line.  Now that I've joined the Line room for this new PvP, T10 should be even easier.

Eventually the Line people will filter down to all slices and SCL levels until no, you won't be able to make T10 without being on Line.  Just like the devs intended.  Wait, what?