How to get top 10 in pvp?

Options

Comments

• NewMcG
    NewMcG Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Orion said:
    sinnerjfl said:
    The same is happening in lower SCL, people will collude and cooperate to fill those and then just hop each other forever­.

You're not hitting top10 unless you're "in" on the collusion.
    You can do it, but you need to have a very strong roster.  I finished 6th in the last PvP without using Line.  Now that I've joined the Line room for this new PvP, T10 should be even easier.

Eventually the Line people will filter down to all slices and SCL levels until no, you won't be able to make T10 without being on Line.  Just like the devs intended.  Wait, what?
    Almost like it's a mode meant to be primarily played "against" others, and not as a single coordinated effort. If only there was some term that would imply that...
  • Justice Jacks
    Justice Jacks Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Pongie said:
    Everyone who wanted this to happen are starting to regret it. Now lose your cp and your placement. Just so you can get some 4* you’ll never use lol
    Those 4* covers also leads to cp once championed. If  you never made 1200 before, you aren't losing any cp anyway. Though I agree with the majority that 40 wins is way too much for what was 900
    LOL!  Not sure if you don't understand the game, the reward structure, or just basic math.  But either way, the LOL is well founded.
  • Justice Jacks
    Justice Jacks Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    mpqr7 said:

And I know you crossed out names, but rumor has it #3 on that leaderboard is a sexy beast.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mpqr7 said:

It's hard for the average person to get to 1200, but it's doable. But I think it's asking a lot for people to be expected to need to get to 1200 x 2 as a minimum without massive coordination, or even 1200 x 4 or more? Yeah, right.

I don't have a problem with people making high scores, but I think it's very silly that forcing the 15 cp into top 10 is somehow supposed to be an improvement and not seen as taking it away from those who were able to hit 1200.

The scores below top 10 are in the 800 to 1000 range, so after top 10, people just don't really care.

And yeah I assume the answers are basically "try a different shard or SCL other than s4, SCL 9." Which then gets me blamed for stealing top 10 from weaker rosters. So, sorry in advance for that.
    You don't.  And that's what those of us that are high-level PVP vets were trying to tell the forumites during this whole process. 

Finally! Someone stated the correct answer :smiley:

I was definitely NOT someone who wanted this win-based top-10 cp at all. I pushed back every time, but they didn't listen to me.
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @Justice Jacks as he said. In the time that I have been able to hit 1200 regularly, I have champed every 5* or got them covered. I don’t like the pvp change, but after the first event, it won’t hurt me. 
  • Beer40
    Beer40 Posts: 826 Critical Contributor
    Options
    corytutor said:
    It just depends how long you've been in a slice. I dont play 4 often usually s1 and s3, and ive been in both long enough to know who is going to be worth good points and who is likely to drop a grill. All i really have to do is  skip. A lot. 

Depending on how active it is i spend anywhere from 3 to 15k an event. Average is probably close to 7k. 
    Vhailorx said:
    Cp is far and away the most valuable resource in the game.  Especially as compared to 4* covers.  Getting 5*s is 85% inefficient and the byproduct is 4* covers, so building a good 5* roster requires building a good 4* roster.  

No one in 5* land really cares about losing the 4* prog from pvp.  It only matters for new releases.  By contrast they will dip to cl5 for cp everytime.  It will takr a very lucky bracket for any 2* and 3* players in cl5 and 6 to get a top 10 without bracket sniping.

Alexis: yes, skipping without regard to the tax is an important part of pvp play.  I expected to spend a few k at least each event.  And i play much less than cory.  Yet another example of the failure here being an informational one (those people who think they benefit from this change for the most part would be better off under the old system if they understood the system better.
    Well, this is a revelation. I don't know how many times I've been told to "skip around" because I can't see anyone worth good points. I would skip 5-10 times and then stop, thinking it was just another one of those differences in game play not all of us get to enjoy.

I wonder if the reason it wasn't explained like this was because most people would not want to spend ISO in this way? I know I won't be doing that. I'm still at a place in the game where ISO is far more valuable than CP. Hell, there's a lot of times where 20-25 CP just turns into ISO anyway :(
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    To start: You need D3 to make PvP anonymous.
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @Beer40

Its all relative to what your goals are. If you and your alliance place well you get a nice chunk of it back. If the covers you tecieve are champ levels you get even more back. 

Its also about what you settle for as a target. I dont hit anything less than 55 if i can help it, which is almost always. 
  • corytutor
    Options
    jackstar0 said:
    Why?

It really wouldnt help. If im out, and see a bunch of panthos teams worth 60+ i know i van count on one to drop a grill. Or i can just hit them. 
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    corytutor said:
    jackstar0 said:
    Why?

It really wouldnt help. If im out, and see a bunch of panthos teams worth 60+ i know i van count on one to drop a grill. Or i can just hit them. 
    Or hit their A, then double their grill.
  • corytutor
    Options
    Exactly that
  • Huntah86
    Huntah86 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2017
    Options
    One thing I want to mention is that it is extremely easy to hit 1200+ with this new format and that's exactly why the scores are absurdly high.  Some quick background, I'm a strong 4* player who could be solidly in the 5* transition phase but I have no interest in moving into 5* land.  Before this change I would hit 1200+ only once or twice a season at most typically and my float level would be around 550 - 650 give or take.  After the change I've actually been floating around 900 - 1k without getting hit (or barely getting hit) the last two PVPs I was able to easily reach 1200 from my float without getting hit and barely using any health packs.  I could've easily probably gotten to 1500 - 1800ish I'd guess but I know t10 is a pipe dream so I'm happy with t25 lol. But I do absolutely agree that moving the CP to only the t10 is stingy and really messes up what we're use to in the PVP world.  Because of that and the win based progression, you can't compare the current to the past, they're completely apples to oranges now. My whole little rant is ONLY about those people who keep saying all these people who hit 1200 missed out on CP, I'm willing to bet at least half if not more of those people wouldn't have reached 1200 in the old format (myself included).
  • PolarPopBear
    PolarPopBear Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    Huntah86 said:
    One thing I want to mention is that it is extremely easy to hit 1200+ with this new format and that's exactly why the scores are absurdly high.  Some quick background, I'm a strong 4* player who could be solidly in the 5* transition phase but I have no interest in moving into 5* land.  Before this change I would hit 1200+ only once or twice a season at most typically and my float level would be around 550 - 650 give or take.  After the change I've actually been floating around 900 - 1k without getting hit (or barely getting hit) the last two PVPs I was able to easily reach 1200 from my float without getting hit and barely using any health packs.  I could've easily probably gotten to 1500 - 1800ish I'd guess but I know t10 is a pipe dream so I'm happy with t25 lol. But I do absolutely agree that moving the CP to only the t10 is stingy and really messes up what we're use to in the PVP world.  Because of that and the win based progression, you can't compare the current to the past, they're completely apples to oranges now. My whole little rant is ONLY about those people who keep saying all these people who hit 1200 missed out on CP, I'm willing to bet at least half if not more of those people wouldn't have reached 1200 in the old format (myself included).
    This would be great if 1200 actually meant anything now...
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Huntah86 said:
    What about the new format do you believe makes it easy to hit 1200?

The first event was a new release, which generally has higher scores, meaning that float points will be higher.  Next release was a new character event with the new release format (no PvP tokens, meaning nearly everyone is using a loaner), which skews things, as well.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your assertion, there are some possible reasons why this could play out this way (people not looking for 75 point wins anymore meaning that they're looking for easy wins at low points), but this doesn't seem to be enough of a sea change that 1200 would be easy going forward.  Depending on what your roster is, that may be more pronounced at lower MMR bands where many of the people competing for T10 can't queue you.  But at least in 5* MMR, 1200 is about the same level of difficulty to hit.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2017
    Options
    corytutor said:
    @Beer40

Its all relative to what your goals are. If you and your alliance place well you get a nice chunk of it back. If the covers you tecieve are champ levels you get even more back. 

Its also about what you settle for as a target. I dont hit anything less than 55 if i can help it, which is almost always. 
    I didn't shoot as high as Cory, finishing top 10-top 50 depending on the event.  But i basically never used more than 2-3 shields (sometimes as few as 1), and finished 1200 when i felt like.  Even when skipping copiously, i was always significantly iso-positive from pvp.  

As for how to skip effectively: there are a few factors to consider:
    (1) the game queues a handful of opponents for you every time you contact the server.  Those are generally saved.  So if you wait several hours, your first few queued opponents are likely stale nodes whose displayed value do not necessarily reflect the actual value of the nodes.
    (2) once you get to a high score, like 800+, you will start seeing the same small group of opponents cycle through at any given time.  Pay attention to the names and it will be the same 5-10 names in sequence.  
    (3) so once you reach skipping territory the pattern is to skip ten or twenty times, until the names start recycling.  If there is a good targrt available, queue and start cycling a second node.  If not, then wait a few minutes and skip until the names start recycling again (by then some players will have shielded and others will have unshielded, so you should get some fresh queues).
    (4) If you are vulnerable (say a 4* defensive team floating at 1k), dont float for more than a few minutes; throw up a shield and keep cycling for 3 good targets.  It's better than losing several hundred points waiting for a good 50+ point target.

Though i suppose all this advice is useless now. . .

And huntah: for every hypothetical player like you that got a useless 1200 because it was easier (and useless) in this new format, isn't there also a hypothetical player like me that would have climbed to 1200 had the reward been worthwhile, but sat out the new prog system?

• Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    sinnerjfl said:
    The same is happening in lower SCL, people will collude and cooperate to fill those and then just hop each other forever­.

You're not hitting top10 unless you're "in" on the collusion.
    So we should just play all the matches we want and not look at the leaderboard at all, and where we end up is where we end up, right?

Previously Line co-ordination was to help people get prog rewards and for high-end players to push for T5, now it will steadily ease out anyone in lower CLs from T10 placement.

I should be playing CL8, I’m in CL6 for NC and my 2k+ score still under threat for T10. Hence I’m going CL5 next event for basically the same rewards.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    1900 for top 10 in Devil You Know, working as intended?  SMH
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One does not simply get top 10 in PvP.
  • corytutor
    Options
    2k with 38 wins. But t5