**** Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) ****

Comments

• Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Straycat said:
    Antman yellow with boosted Carol is insane. By the end of his ants, I ended up with strikes of 5200, 4200, 3200, 2200, and one at base 92. Almost 15,000 damage for 7 ap and 3 turns.
    Yes! I've been saying that about Ant-Man +  Carol on the forums for months, and I finally champed him today!

All people talk about is Coulson or Medusa + Carol. Don't get me wrong, I love these two as well. 

But even unboosted, with just 7 yellow and a couple of turns later (and as you've agreed), the strikes become amazingly powerful. Don't forget how Ant-Man's purple attack tiles also hit for tons of extra damage per turn.
    I'd argue that Coulson + Carol can't win as quickly as Ant-Man+ could, with his 5 CD's at once for so cheap. Coulson only produces 1 CD per each power fired, plus any CD's the power creates itself.

Certainly this comparison is board dependent, but I'd love to run an AI simulation of certain teams vs a fixed set of enemies to see how things come out over the long run.

With my luck, my AI would waste yellow on Carol's ability instead of Ant-Man's, and it would be just to reduce his blue CD to 0 before it could steal anything!

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rocket & Groot also goes nicely with her.  If R&G has the highest level, Energy Manipulation will feed you blue.  Once you've fire off Rocket's Pack, you've got a count down that goes off every turn and also creates new attack tiles to buff.  Combine this with the free strike tiles you get at the start of the match, and it adds up quite quickly (especially for survival matches where you've got even more time to build up).
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    Rocket & Groot also goes nicely with her.  If R&G has the highest level, Energy Manipulation will feed you blue.  Once you've fire off Rocket's Pack, you've got a count down that goes off every turn and also creates new attack tiles to buff.  Combine this with the free strike tiles you get at the start of the match, and it adds up quite quickly (especially for survival matches where you've got even more time to build up).
    Round that pair up with Starlord for perfect rainbow coverage and even more countdown insanity. Oh, and the small matter of Starlord reducing your AP costs.
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    jamesh said:
    Round that pair up with Starlord for perfect rainbow coverage and even more countdown insanity. Oh, and the small matter of Starlord reducing your AP costs.
    Or Drax, also for perfect rainbow, GotG bonus and additional damage whenever a countdown expires.
  • SpecSpecter
    SpecSpecter Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    jamesh said:
    Considering that Captain Marvel technically was legitimately part of the Guardians of the Galaxy at one point for a time, can you imagine how insane things would be if she counted for the GotG bonus?
  • Tseb
    Tseb Posts: 67 Match Maker
    edited July 2017
     The best pairing I found so far is 3 * Spider-Man and 3 * Blade.   I can't remember exactly how high my 2 protect files got,  but in the recent Sinister Six tournament, even Carnage was slashing me for only one damaged on his special attack. While I was laughing off his flea bites, Blade's strike tiles started increasing.  IIRC, Sandman was just before Carnage, which letter a lot of yellow being pumped into my whatchamacallit.
    veny wrote:
    Skygazing wrote:
    veny wrote:
    So, yellow passive works always, or only for CD tiles quickened by the active yellow?
    Description is not clear enought and if it works for all CDs, it would make insane OP combo with some chars (Loki etc.)

From my own testing her yellow works with all CDs, not just ones she uses the active power on. And yes it gets pretty silly with characters like Starlord and Loki.
    So, Hulk, Red Hulk (his passive was useless anyway)... how about 3* Blade black? It reaches 0 every round icon_e_biggringif

From the description, it says every time the CD expires, not reaches 0. Blade's just goes to 0 and back to 1, it doesn't expire. Would need to test to confirm.
      if no one else has, I can confirm it does go off every turn.
  • Elric_VIII
    Elric_VIII Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Tseb said:
      if no one else has, I can confirm it does go off every turn.
    It also functions with Human Torch's green.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    My C4rol is currently at 5/4/3 and I'm really keen to make her my next Champion. Does anyone know if she's a required character for any of the Story events? Meaning the 4-star progression reward would be one of her covers  :)  Of course if she is, just my luck it would be her Black cover.

Or am I just going to have to hope I get lucky with my pulls (she's my BH), or bite the bullet and spend 120 CP to champ her?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    JSP869 said:
    My C4rol is currently at 5/4/3 and I'm really keen to make her my next Champion. Does anyone know if she's a required character for any of the Story events? Meaning the 4-star progression reward would be one of her covers  :)  Of course if she is, just my luck it would be her Black cover.

Or am I just going to have to hope I get lucky with my pulls (she's my BH), or bite the bullet and spend 120 CP to champ her?
    I think it's unlikely that she'll be a required story character any time soon. As your bonus hero, you've got a pretty good shot at getting that 13th usable cover reasonably soon, depending on how often you open legendary tokens.
  • Tseb
    Tseb Posts: 67 Match Maker
    JSP869 said:

I think it's unlikely that she'll be a required story character any time soon. As your bonus hero, you've got a pretty good shot at getting that 13th usable cover reasonably soon, depending on how often you open legendary tokens.
      Her movie is supposed to come out 8 March 2019.  It wouldn't surprise me if they hyped her character around that time to promote the movie.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    JSP869 said:

Actually, the next Bullseye pvp awards her as placement reward, which means she will be the next pvp event reward for progression at 900 points, after that.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Sure. But that's not the same as being a required story character.
  • SpecSpecter
    SpecSpecter Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Tseb said:
    JSP869 said:

Her movie is supposed to come out 8 March 2019.  It wouldn't surprise me if they hyped her character around that time to promote the movie.
    By then, assuming this game is still around, there undoubtedly will be a 5* Captain Marvel I'm sure.

• Atros
    Atros Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    With the change from several abilits from Countdown tiles to "Repeater Tiles" results in the passive portion of 'Executive Decision' being hurt badly, as many of her best options to buff tiles have been taken away, especially when you consider that every single one of the characters that produces these new tiles creates specials that are good candidates to being buffed.  Granted, she's not the only one that got hurt by this (Coulson also comes to mind),, but I've far more of her covers then I have of his, and I tend to use her more in general.
  • wingX
    wingX Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Currently, I have a dilemma regarding Carol, as she is my on 4* that is fully covered, I not sure whether if I should champed her or not. It is because of her passive, as if I champ her, then my team strongest color will always be her black unless I use her together with a 5* or a boosted character, which can be limited to the fun team that I can create with her.
    Currently most of my 3* and 4* are at around level 170 to 195, thus this will decrease the fun in the team that I can create to fully utilize her passive.
    So far my decision will be to just sell away any cover I get for her as I think I would not want to 'throw away' the fun that I can get from using her with certain team mates at almost the same level but I am curious as to what you guys will think about this. Thank you.
  • Jaedenkaal
    wingX said:
    Currently, I have a dilemma regarding Carol, as she is my on 4* that is fully covered, I not sure whether if I should champed her or not. It is because of her passive, as if I champ her, then my team strongest color will always be her black unless I use her together with a 5* or a boosted character, which can be limited to the fun team that I can create with her.
    Currently most of my 3* and 4* are at around level 170 to 195, thus this will decrease the fun in the team that I can create to fully utilize her passive.
    So far my decision will be to just sell away any cover I get for her as I think I would not want to 'throw away' the fun that I can get from using her with certain team mates at almost the same level but I am curious as to what you guys will think about this. Thank you.
    Champ her and never look back ;)

Assuming she's not also boosted, your higher level 3*s will all have higher match damage than she does when they are boosted, and your 4*s should as well if they're the 'featured' story character (ie the required 4*). That should give you plenty of variety, and if your "fail case" is she accelerates her own amazing Black power... that's a problem worth having.
  • Rodolfo78
    Rodolfo78 Posts: 70 Match Maker
    edited September 2017
    It's also worth noting that a lot of common PvP characters have black as their strongest power- Carol herself, Thanos, Black Panther, OML, even Green Goblin if you ever find him. Carol has been my highest champ forever, and I find her going smackety-smack plenty often for my taste.
  • wingX
    wingX Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks for your thought, but if I champed her to 270 and if she is boosted for an alliance PVE or PVP for the week, will it affect enemies level in alliance PVE and PVP MMR?
  • Jaedenkaal
    wingX said:
    Thanks for your thought, but if I champed her to 270 and if she is boosted for an alliance PVE or PVP for the week, will it affect enemies level in alliance PVE and PVP MMR?
    I will have no effect on your PVE enemy levels; you choose your SCL, and the levels will be the same as they were in that SCL previously.

In PVE, your MMR will theoretically change, but not by a lot, and having a champed Carol will help out a ton, whether she's boosted or not.

fwiw, I don't believe that boosted characters affect your MMR at all, although I admit that's pure conjecture.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Carol is a top-tier 4-star; one of the best. Not champing her is unthinkable.