PvP Unplayable After Drawing 5*? 3 Week Player

Options
PerilousPeach
PerilousPeach Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
I'm only 3 weeks in, only have a two full 2* covers.  I just pulled a 5* Hawkeye, and when I started the latest PvP event, I got matched to some insane opponents.

I tried skipping a number to see if there'd be any easier ones.  Doesn't seem like it.

Tried using my highest level / best guys, downed one guy and the 2nd got to half health.

Did drawing the 5* screw me up?  Do I need to delete the guy just to be able to play "normally"???

I feel like the only way I'd be able to beat any of these is if I use the 5* Hawkeye, which seems incredibly dull and very off-putting.

Here is what my current roster looks like:

44 character slots:

• 5* Hawkeye lvl255, Red (Just pulled from 4* token)
  • 4* Captain Marvel, lvl70 ( 2 Black, 1 Yellow, 1 Green), 3 covers from the boss event
  • 4* Gwenpoole, lvl70 (1 Green)
  • 4* Sandman, lvl70 (1 Purple)
  • 20 3*s, all level 40.  Only a couple have 4 covers, most are 1-2 covers.
  • All 2*, with only two of them fully covered.  Highest level is 40.
  • 1*s fully covered, max level 40 with Iron Man, Jugg, and Hawkeye

Now when I go in to the PvP event, here are my current three choices (all with the default Lvl 145 Blade):

• Lvl 172 2* Magneto (Championed, powered up)
  • Lvl 168 2* Thor (Championed, powered up)

• Lvl 115 2* Daken (Championed)
  • Lvl 152 2* Magneto (Championed, powered up)

• Lvl 161 2* Thor (Champ, powered up)
  • Lvl 121 2* Magneto (Champ, powered up)

I just did a bunch of skipping, and I did get one I will try:
Lvl 40 1* Jugg
Lvl 88 2* Daken

Is this supposed to work this way?  I tried losing a bunch with my regular guys, but opponents didn't change.

Comments

• evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Don't pull legendary tokens until you are well into the 3* to 4* transition 
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Wow. MPQ is really not very friendly to new players, is it? I didn't realise it was this bad.
  • StarScream
    StarScream Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Wow. MPQ is really not very friendly to new players, is it? I didn't realise it was this bad.
    It is not difficult to know that a ** player will get wrecked if there is a ***** on the roster. 

***Removed insult - Ducky
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    You'll probably be better off selling the 5* and saving your CP & legendary tokens until your roster overall is higher level, unfortunately.  They really need to put a lock on the legendary stores until people reach a certain level, or at least a pop-up warning the first time a player tries to buy a legendary token.  If you get "lucky" and pull a 5* it will ruin your scaling* and MMR.

*At least for now. The PvE scaling problem is being worked on, but I haven't heard anything about changing the PvP matchmaking anytime soon.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The real problem for OP is how few people at his level will play PVP and be opponents.  It's the other end of the bell curve from 5* max champs.  He got moved just a little further up the curve.

At this point, selling the 5 Hawk won't matter.  He drops into the Classic black hole in about 2 weeks.  He won't help much either in any match, with just 1 cover.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, at least you didn't level him up to 270. Sell him and work on leveling up your 2*s.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    shardwick said:
    Well, at least you didn't level him up to 270. Sell him and work on leveling up your 2*s.

That's exactly what I had to do with my 270 Surfer when he was introduced. Granted I was on month 3 not week 3 at the time, but that was the impact that 5 stars had on so many rosters without any of us really understanding the consequences of getting them. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Biggest problem in the game, imo. 
  • Rhycar
    Rhycar Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Sell the 5* and don't open any more Legendary tokens or CP until you are at least ready to max a 4*. It is brutal otherwise.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    At least try to use him before you decide to sell.  A level 255 Hawkeye should have no problem with those 150ish teams.  

It will probably get boring fast, but you can't un-sell it, so give him a test drive before deciding for sure.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It is not difficult to know that a ** player will get wrecked if there is a ***** on the roster. 
    What in the game tells you that?  Most game logic tells you that higher levels = better.  It's tinykitty design that there is no tutorial on how things like 5* and champion levels affect the game.  
  • Bruinsfan17
    Bruinsfan17 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Options
    And this is why I always vote 0 when asked how likely I am to recommend this game to others. If you haven't been playing this game from the beginning, it's almost impossible to catch up to everyone. Just isn't fun for new players.
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This has been a major problem ever since they introduced 5s into the game, and absolutely nothing has been done to fix it. 

And for good reason - there's no way to fix it without completely overhauling how pvp matchmaking works, and possibly the entire structure of pvp in general.
  • Roland113
    Roland113 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    One recommendation, at the earlier stages, PvE is a lot more forgiving than PvP.  
  • Blindman13
    Blindman13 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just read up on the whole 2-3* and 3-4* transitioning.  Ugh.

Talk about a buzz kill. Excited to play, buy the VIP, then finally get a 4* VIP token. Pull a 5*!

And the recommendation here is to sell it.
    Unfortunately, you have to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you run.
    Spend some time in the Prologue missions. Repeat them all until you get all the rewards, there's enough ISO and covers there to get you a good base to build on.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2017
    Options
    This has been a major problem ever since they introduced 5s into the game, and absolutely nothing has been done to fix it. 

And for good reason - there's no way to fix it without completely overhauling how pvp matchmaking works, and possibly the entire structure of pvp in general.
    I wouldn't say nothing.  They are at least experimenting with SCL based scaling for PvE which would solve the problem for PvE.  Hopefully they follow it up with something similar for PvP, but who knows if they will...
  • Jjshack
    Jjshack Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    Options

Is that true though?  wouldn't something as simple as making a 5* cover start at lvl 100 (and making it very cheap to level to 250) basically "fix" the issue?  it is weird that 4* start at 70 and a 5* leaps to start at 250.  that always seemed the anomaly to me.