Update Thoughts and Trial of Zeal

Options
124»

Comments

• gruntface
    gruntface Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options
    madwren said:
    As Babar points out, it's ridiculous that only the top two coalitions in the game (us and yh1j) had an average score that was able to meet progression. What the hell was so wrong with the 450-point level? What amazing rewards were being given out that made the devs say, "You know, this basic booster is really too much, we should set progression to 850?"  Any chance you can interrogate them on our behalf, @brigby?

In before the "because you all asked for it" comment.

Some had suggested rewards beyond the existing 450 level because that was trivial for many players especially after the first iteration. I am not sure what the comaprison of total rewards looks like (450 aggregate vs 850 aggregate) but I think this probably falls into the 'be careful what you wish for category"

People were asking for rewards beyond 450 but what ended up happening was that similar rewards were spread out more thinly. So yes, there are now rewards beyond 450 but it's a bit disingenuous to say this was what was suggested.

On the people hitting 850, it's a little artificial first time through given it took a number of players time to figure out the 3rd node so that number will come up but even then, and assuming a more common timescale for the event, a lot of players will fall short. I ended up with 1,100 points but not sure I hit 850 within the 'normal' timeframe depsite not losing a single fight.

However, if an exclusive card is available at 850 in the future and you need to a) win every single battle and b) clear 95% of secondaries to get there, that would be more in line with PVP events. Food for thought either way.

The next running will tell us a lot more about par scoring.
  • mournfen
    mournfen Posts: 89 Match Maker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I think many players missed max rewards because I thought I read it was suppose to end Thursday if life wasn't at 0% so it's a little early; some players had full charges still. I think it was just shock with introduction of masterpieces and mythics/rares we had not seen so couldn't initially plan for. I had 4 more charges remaining and still had over 1200pts. After one battle against 3.1, I knew I needed to adjust my decks and I did it with 90% KLD and origins cards. 
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    Options
    they did save and gold cards from the set and mark as exclusive, so what are they going to use? random amh gold as final reward?
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Stormcrow said:
    I would love to see statistics as to what percentage of the playerbase was able to beat 3.1 without spending crystals to open some extra Amonkhet packs. (And possibly what percentage of those people did it without Hixus.) That was not a reasonably F2P-doable node.

I'd also love to hear any kind of explanation from d3 about what their thinking was with the design of this event, from boss hp to progression tiers to difficulty, but they seem to be a lot more reticent about explaining their thinking these days
    You want D3 to communicate with the community?  Oh, you are so young and innocent.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    @madwren

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but what you're saying is that Trial of Zeal was set to 850 ribbons max progression, when the usual Coalition event is only set to 450 ribbons max progression?

If so, I unfortunately don't have that information, but I can inquire with the developers.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    @madwren

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but what you're saying is that Trial of Zeal was set to 850 ribbons max progression, when the usual Coalition event is only set to 450 ribbons max progression?

Yes, this is correct. The "boss events" - Fateful Showdown and Revolt Against the Consulate - were previously 450.
  • Abenjes
    Abenjes Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Trial of zeal was set to 850 for max progression, generally its been 450 but we've never had a 5 day event before so having rewards spread out across the event makes sense.

one of the progression rewards in platinum was a basic booster. Personally I find this disgusting and a bit of an insult. I among many other plays have played everyday for the last year and showed loyalty to a game that we enjoy. we've endured the ups and downs gone the extra mile to master cards and achieve platinum, grinded runes to lvl our planes walkers. we are still here.... to receive a basic booster as a progression reward was poor, d3 very weak, the rewards do not reflect the effort involved...

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    To add to the points above - you actually needed to grind a while to even get the basic booster.
    I don't mind the rewards but ending at 450.  850..why not? But the rewards.. Meh.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Abenjes said:

Trial of zeal was set to 850 for max progression, generally its been 450 but we've never had a 5 day event before so having rewards spread out across the event makes sense.r

We have indeed had 5-day events before. RatC ran long (and was force-ended) multiple times.

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Abenjes said:

Trial of zeal was set to 850 for max progression, generally its been 450 but we've never had a 5 day event before so having rewards spread out across the event makes sense.

one of the progression rewards in platinum was a basic booster. Personally I find this disgusting and a bit of an insult. I among many other plays have played everyday for the last year and showed loyalty to a game that we enjoy. we've endured the ups and downs gone the extra mile to master cards and achieve platinum, grinded runes to lvl our planes walkers. we are still here.... to receive a basic booster as a progression reward was poor, d3 very weak, the rewards do not reflect the effort involved...

I'd like to add to this that historically max progression rewarded a rare card, sometimes a specified one as a reward for the event, sometimes just a random rare from that set. But to grind out 850 points just to get the final reward of another Amonkhet pack was a bit disappointing as well.

If the point is to move away from event specific reward cards, that's a move I'm entirely okay with, but please at least keep the random rare card as a reward for making it that far.
  • babar3355
    babar3355 Posts: 1,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If the drop rate for rares is really 5% then the odds of a rare from 5 cards is a little less than 20%.  So they increased the progression demands by nearly double and rewarded us on average with 1/5th of the prize that they usually award.  I guess they also awarded us each a 1/20th of a mytchic and 1/200th of a masterpiece. Wasn't any of that in my pack to be sure.

Ironically, I am actually just as happy to receive the pack now that we get rares like candy and mythics are 100% based on luck or unobtanium.

• Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    babar3355 said:

If the drop rate for rares is really 5% then the odds of a rare from 5 cards is a little less than 20%.  So they increased the progression demands by nearly double and rewarded us on average with 1/5th of the prize that they usually award.  I guess they also awarded us each a 1/20th of a mytchic and 1/200th of a masterpiece. Wasn't any of that in my pack to be sure.

Ironically, I am actually just as happy to receive the pack now that we get rares like candy and mythics are 100% based on luck or unobtanium.

For a while I've thought about tabulating event rewards in similar terms (thousanths of a mythic, etc) just to make comparison easier of where effort is best spent.  Haven't done it yet!

(Just a note on the numbers - Rare chance per card appears to be 4%, not 5%, which would put the expected number of rare drops per 5-card pack at exactly 0.2, the chance for exactly one rare to drop at 17%, and the chance for more than one rare dropping at about 1.5%.)