Mind Gem Season Character Updates *Updated (2/6/17)

Comments

• UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Brigby wrote:
    The power now creates less Protect tiles

z1jbp89.gif
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Falcon not Spidey.

FALCON

NOT

SPIDEY

de33a6624d6813108a5d9a0fda00ec6039f6b7802c72988eb180e964d59aa468.jpg
  • vcorsac
    vcorsac Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Brigby wrote:
    The power now creates less Protect tiles
    z1jbp89.gif

In his defense, Falcon creates so many tiles they're practically uncountable. You usually have to use your toes!
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    So now Mr Fantastic might work well with Human Torch and 4 Star Cage?
    Just a thought
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for the info Brigby and demi/d3. Communication is always appreciated.

(1) Falcon: The change to redwing alone is fantastic (pun intended)! I assumed this is why his PVP hadn't been run in a while, and it's nice to know that demi was aware of the problem and just waiting for a solution to go live. Changes to the purple are also good. Some direct damage is a welcome addition, even at the cost of some protect tiles.

(2) Fantastic: Alas, I think the good news might end here. going from true healing to burst healing is a downgrade. Moreover this power now just looks like a much **** version of Medusa' yellow (even the ap generation is noticeably less useful than medusa, requiring a very select group of partners, none of whom synergize particularly well with Mr. F). I think this fix is the wrong approach (though all statements come with the caveat that we obviously need to play with new fantastic to be sure). The changes to blue are ok. the fortified tiles are an interesting approach, but I worry that demi is trying to do too much by combining the tile swap and tile spawn into the same move; it creates an inherent tension between boardshake and protecting special tiles. I am curious to see how well it works in practice. In any event, this change doesn't make the power worse outright. Black again sounds like a marginal buff (though of course if they doubled the damage my opinion might improve. . .). But 7ap is still fairly pricey for a CD that requires constant attention and is always fragile. Especially since the new blue now encourages more boardshake that will make his black even riskier that it already was. And it's still his only offense. I dunno, I am not entirely sure what to expect from this change, but I think there is a non-zero chance that he ends up being even a bit worse than he was before; and that's NEVER a good feeling to have about an announced rework (*cough* DINO!!!! *cough*). Will wait to be even more critical, but my expectations are fairly low based on the available info.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2017
    I actually use Falcon a fair bit, as a team with IF and Daken, which works quite well for grinding out PvE nodes quickly. The blue change is whatever, except for his PvP event, where I guess it will be nice. The purple probably won't affect me much, unless the damage is truly impressive, since I'd very likely prefer to just keep using IF's purple most of the time. I can't really envision a case where I use Falcon without IF, and in that teamup, IF gets all the purple all the time.

So while I guess this does count as a buff across the board, I just can't really see it making any difference to his play patterns. People will complain less when he's required, I guess, but that's hardly an inspiring motive for change.

The MrF changes are more interesting overall. Can't say I love the fact that he loses his one significant interaction (with Carnage), since that actually amounts to a large nerf to Carnage, which is a character that doesn't have a lot going for it otherwise. Making villains with combo-y interactions with unlikely characters is ideal design space for them, since it means they don't have to be good when the AI plays them, but are still interesting as player-controlled characters. Blue looks genuinely strong, though, and black at least looks playable, maybe even more than that.

As with the 5* Cap change, the real change ought to been to expand on who counted as a team member. There are many characters in the game that could synergize a good bit more with MrF if they just had the title they ought to canonically have. Storm, BP (5* especially would be nice, to team up vertically), Spider-Man, Doctor Doom, Medusa, Luke Cage, Nova, She-Hulk, Captain Marvel, Ant-Man, Wolverine, and Ghost Rider have all held the FF title in the past, and the character deserves to reflect that.

Here's hoping some other 4* gets changed in a way that makes them interesting with Carnage, and we don't have to resort to buffing a villain.

Thanks for actually buffing a 3*. I was afraid that tier wasn't going to get any new development, which would have been sad when there's so much there. Falcon was a mediocre choice but at least it's something. Similar low-key, easy-to-program changes could be made to Spidey: make his blue produce 2 web tiles and make his yellow turn webs into strikes instead of just burning them up.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    fmftint wrote:
    I still don't understand why no F4 member can have a purple skill for the full rainbow..

i'll tell you a secret...
    shhhhh its....
    Orange
    orange who?
    orange you glad i didn't say BAGMAN!!!
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    So is everyone missing the fact that Mr. Fantastic lost true healing, but now gives burst healing to the whole team? Unless the numbers have been cut a lot, that's still a solid passive. Kamala Khan is pretty well liked for more than one reason, but her team heal passive is high on the list.

And yeah, Falcon doesn't get talked about much compared to, say, 3* Spidey, but that's because Spidey has gone from one of the most overpowered and overused 3* in the game to a disappointing support character. From the start, Falcon never really... took off.

Also: calling it now: Mr. F, Professor Xavier, and Thing would be a lot of fun together.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    So is everyone missing the fact that Mr. Fantastic lost true healing, but now gives burst healing to the whole team? Unless the numbers have been cut a lot, that's still a solid passive. Kamala Khan is pretty well liked for more than one reason, but her team heal passive is high on the list.

And yeah, Falcon doesn't get talked about much compared to, say, 3* Spidey, but that's because Spidey has gone from one of the most overpowered and overused 3* in the game to a disappointing support character. From the start, Falcon never really... took off.

Also: calling it now: Mr. F, Professor Xavier, and Thing would be a lot of fun together.

I honestly prefer this change. True healing is great, but its real benefit is in marathon playing so you don't have to use as many health packs. When facing an enemy, I'd rather face on with true healing than burst team healing. True healers can be downed with a good nuke or a combo of good hits, whenever I'm ready for them (often last of the three.) Burst healers need to be dealt with immediately, or else they undo all of your work time and time again.

As for having true healers on my team... when they're good I use them too much simply because I can. The burst heal means I won't be forced to include Mr. F in most of my matches simply because he'll need to heal eventually. I welcome that.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh, and I'm ok with Falcon getting addressed this time over Spider-Man. They've mostly just been doing one character a season. Falcon's inclusion feels like an extra they were able to cram in because the changes were minor. Spider-Man, however, needs a solid rework. That requires time and focused resources, and I wouldn't want that crammed in.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    Big thumbs up to the change in Falcon's purpleflag.png I was using him with Wasp and it took a good minute to accumulate enough purple AP. Not only did they lower the cost but you can do damage too? Sign me up!!
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    spectator wrote:
    Would still prefer imaginaut to work with his active colours...
    It not working with his active colors is part of the power's point
    it's called teamwork baby
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm a huge Falc user so welcome the changes but I still think his blue should always target the lowest CD tile. In know people don't use him but I do, all day everyday. Blade Strange and him through most of the pve's. I find it more fun than winifinite against goon nodes and usually I can run that team with no heals through 1 or 2 complete clears of Pve.
  • Suddenreal
    Suddenreal Posts: 92 Match Maker
    DayvBang wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking about the team healing as well. Face it, the Mr. F, Carnage, Doc Ock team works best if Mr. F tanks all the time (since he's the one who only got the heal), but now it'll be harder to bring down another member of the team. And yeah, the first thing that came to mind was Mr. F/Thing combo.
  • roberts_2
    roberts_2 Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Great, i want to try new Mr. F powers with Dino icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    mega ghost wrote:
    Oh, and I'm ok with Falcon getting addressed this time over Spider-Man. They've mostly just been doing one character a season. Falcon's inclusion feels like an extra they were able to cram in because the changes were minor. Spider-Man, however, needs a solid rework. That requires time and focused resources, and I wouldn't want that crammed in.

Exactly! People is amazingly ungrateful! They 'fix' (more on this later) Reed, the most solicited character in 4 land, and then they fix a problem with Falcon and also buff a little some of his other powers, and people complains!!! It is obvious Devs don't have resources for fixing more than one char at a time, and in this update they chose Reed as the main fix and then they used some extra time for Falcon. Spidey needs a complete redesign! Seriously guys, relax! If you want to complain chose a better subject (like scaling icon_razz.gif)

Now Reed, I think he will be much improved now (waiting for final numbers of course).
    - First blue is cheaper and still is a 3 turn stun, this is great! Now shields are fortified and you can chose where to place them, this is also a big improvement (mmm if you match a Reed's fortified shield does he win life even though the tiles doesn't get destroyed? does anybody know?).
    - Yellow might be the biggest debate. I think in the long run this makes more sense, and as some other people said, KK is great having team burst heal, so he might be too (now he will heal the other char when paired with Carnage). What I don't know is still healing when special tiles are matched makes sense for someone like Reed.
    - Big improvement. The power is cheaper and the tile is fortified. No more tile getting matched after one turn. It is a pity they didn't add a mechanic where the tiles do more damage when you have a lot of red/green/yellow AP.

Now, what I still don't know is how much good he will be. I guess his game mechanics made sense for someone like Reed, but even improving all his powers I am still not convinced he will be more than another mid tier, he was so low tier that he needed a massive buff, and I am not convinced this buff will be massive. We need to see final numbers, let's hope black is specially strong, he heals A LOT, and shields are also really strong. At least his powers now are quite cheap, so they will we quite spammeable.

PS: And remember his best power has always been blue and his stun, and now is cheaper!
    PS: It is also a pity that he still shares so many colors with Sue, which should be his best partner icon_e_sad.gif and that both him and Ben have a passive in yellow. These problems make it quite hard to have an FF team (but hey, at last now Ben's green doesn't destroy right away Reed's fortified tiles).
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Now Reed, I think he will be much improved now (waiting for final numbers of course).
    - First blue is cheaper and still is a 3 turn stun, this is great! Now shields are fortified and you can chose where to place them, this is also a big improvement (mmm if you match a Reed's fortified shield does he win life even though the tiles doesn't get destroyed? does anybody know?).
    - Yellow might be the biggest debate. I think in the long run this makes more sense, and as some other people said, KK is great having team burst heal, so he might be too (now he will heal the other char when paired with Carnage). What I don't know is still healing when special tiles are matched makes sense for someone like Reed.
    - Big improvement. The power is cheaper and the tile is fortified. No more tile getting matched after one turn. It is a pity they didn't add a mechanic where the tiles do more damage when you have a lot of red/green/yellow AP.

To be fair, much improved is an easy thing to accomplish when you are starting from such a low point as Mr F. icon_mrgreen.gif

Given how little use protection tiles are unless scaled up to a stupid level, could they have not had him produce one protect and one strike or even two strikes, they would be more synergistic with his black then.

Yellow might be better as a burst team heal, but unless they add everyone who has been in the FF over the years, the conditional factor is still far too stingy for the ap gain and the question of how this power interacts with fortified tiles is an interesting one, especially since they will be tougher to match by us placing them now.

Black has definitely improved, but with the level of power creep in the game they could easily have gone further with it e.g. having the tile do damage when matched or it expired or even made the power a passive that fired providing he had x amount of black ap.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:
    To be fair, much improved is an easy thing to accomplish when you are starting from such a low point as Mr F. icon_mrgreen.gif

Given how little use protection tiles are unless scaled up to a stupid level, could they have not had him produce one protect and one strike or even two strikes, they would be more synergistic with his black then.

Yellow might be better as a burst team heal, but unless they add everyone who has been in the FF over the years, the conditional factor is still far too stingy for the ap gain and the question of how this power interacts with fortified tiles is an interesting one, especially since they will be tougher to match by us placing them now.

Black has definitely improved, but with the level of power creep in the game they could easily have gone further with it e.g. having the tile do damage when matched or it expired or even made the power a passive that fired providing he had x amount of black ap.
    I'd rather have them buff him incrementally than buff him to godlike status, which they will have to nerf again.

It took them 3 tries to get Baglady right, I'm willing to give them 3 tries for Stretch, too.
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Thank you for updating more than one character this time, especially one from the 3* tier icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby can we get some clarification please...

The text you have written for Mr F yellow says he generates ap for every ff team member. Does this include himself or is it every OTHER ff member ?