**** Wasp (Janet Van Dyne) ****

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    whenever you have 9+, she spawns a CD every turn
    We may be confusing the ability's description with what it actually ends up doing. If this really does end up spawning a CD on every turn, and not only when one doesn't already exist, I don't see how anyone would think she's awful.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    We may be confusing the ability's description with what it actually ends up doing. If this really does end up spawning a CD on every turn, and not only when one doesn't already exist, I don't see how anyone would think she's awful.

See my previous comment, but does she just steal blue AP ? if she steals any color AP, this ability is very good, is she just steals blue then it is very bad.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2016
    Polares wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

See my previous comment, but does she just steal blue AP ? if she steals any color AP, this ability is very good, is she just steals blue then it is very bad.

From the description, I Think it spawns a CD on a random color, and it then steals that color. So it should be randomly distributed. And the in-game text says nothing about blue ap.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    The ability text contains no condition on the presence of another countdown tile. It's also clear that it steals AP of the CD tile color. Barring randomly selecting colors the enemy doesn't have, it should reliably drain them every turn. Also, countdown tiles disappear when they go off, so there will be minor board shake each turn.
  • Polares
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:

From the description, I Think it spawns a CD on a random color, and it then steals that color. So it should be randomly distributed. And the in-game text says nothing about blue ap.

Description of the power and level 5 don't match, it can be a typo or they were using the word random to say in any random blue tile (so not placed) icon_razz.gif

Level 5: Requires 9 Blue AP instead of 10 AP, steals 2 Blue AP or if matched by enemy deals 1354 damage.

It would be nice if someone could confirm if it is only blue or random depending on the color of the tile
  • Koffitok
    Koffitok Posts: 87
    Polares wrote:
    Description of the power and level 5 don't match, it can be a typo or they were using the word random to say in any random blue tile (so not placed) icon_razz.gif

Level 5: Requires 9 Blue AP instead of 10 AP, steals 2 Blue AP or if matched by enemy deals 1354 damage.

It would be nice if someone could confirm if it is only blue or random depending on the color of the tile
    Look at the Wasp cover reward in-game, and then click on the Level 5 bubble. The description on the OP is clearly a typo.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2016
    Polares, the language about steal blue ap at level 5 does not appear in the game (since we preview each level now). Seems likely to be a mistake in this thread.
  • Polares
    Koffitok wrote:
    Polares wrote:

Look at the Wasp cover reward in-game, and then click on the Level 5 bubble. The description on the OP is clearly a typo.

Oh yeah you are right. I never remember that we can check now the different levels of a power in game icon_razz.gif

Cool, then blue power should be quite good, and I think every turn you have 9AP Wasp will spawn a new countdown, it doesnt matter if there is already one in the board.
  • Cthulhu
    Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
    Sorry all, I was trying to get it done and did include steals 2 BLUE ap on accident, it steals the AP of the color of the basic tile it changes.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    The ability text contains no condition on the presence of another countdown tile.
    What has made you expect clear and accurate ability descriptions? It's not like you're new around here and don't know better.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Polares wrote:
    ErikPeter wrote:
    So she's not going to be top tier no matter what but she will be fun, and probably breath life into some weaker characters, basically anyone who makes 2 or more Protects at once by spending a color other than Yellow...

The problem is that now with 30+ 4s, all needing 370k iso to level, almost nobody will bother to max any char that it is not top or very good tier. Even much better 4s like Nova, Punisher and Quake that have been out for a while are still hard to see champed, so someone that is just meh or good is going to be completely ignored.

Probably most of the people with those characters championed are in 5* land, where, good as they are, even those characters languish.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    The ability text contains no condition on the presence of another countdown tile.
    What has made you expect clear and accurate ability descriptions? It's not like you're new around here and don't know better.
    Ambiguity and inconsistent nomenclature are one thing, but leaving out a condition entirely? That's not something they really do.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ok I have been down on wasp since I saw the stats as I feel gathering 9 blue AP is a lot to start stealing and her yellow leaves a lot to be desired since there are a lot more strike tile dealers than protect tile dealers but I just thought of a very interesting team that could utilize her yellow in a much better way. The team is probably PVE only as it could be very squishy.

Profesor X, QS, Wasp. You match blue and match 5 to generate blue AP for wasps steal and to make QS cheep. QS uses his green and black to have Pro X spam the board with protect and strike tiles, then Wasp flips them. This way it is like she is buffing the tiles instead of taking a bunch of strike tiles and converting them to shields or shields to strike. So far this is the most consistant team I can think of. I can also see her working with JG. JG fires green then wasp fires yellow to buff flip and buff her special tiles would also work too but Pro X might be faster
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2016
    Her yellow will go well with OML, letting him create extra strike tiles after his limit is reached. Other potential partners are Daken, Blade, 3* Bullseye, Falcon, IMHB, Thing, Prof X, Phoenix.

The blue passive takes ages to become active, but when it does, it's awesome. It also creates some board shake. The damage-on-match is minor, but it will go nicely with strike tiles.

Like Scott Lang's equally cheap yellow move, her black doesn't do enough damage to be competitive. It has a nice stun bonus that unfortunately drains her blue. As a damage + strike move, it is most similar to Psylocke's red.

I like this character. It looks like Wasp was designed to go with OML's first form, with cheap skills that set off and enhance his strike tile passive. But if you use her actives, OML will never reach his 2nd form. Her main disadvantage is the lack of big direct damage. She requires some team creativity to get her full potential.

Tentative 5/3/5. The passive doesn't gain enough at higher levels. At least 4 in black is required if you plan to ever use it.

P.S. Of the last 10 characters released, 9 of them use Countdown tiles. They've been different enough that I don't consider this a problem.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nellobee wrote:
    Kid Loki, I hope?
    *sigh*

Someday, maybe.
  • Dayv
    fmftint wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I could definitely see the advantage of using it with OML. Using his strikes to give protection long enough for him to heal up sounds very useful to me.

Sounds slow to me. Why not just kill the other team with those strikes and heal up after the match (or during the beginning of the next match)?

This is not a game that rewards turning offense into defense or extending matches.
    except that flipping the strikes is an active ability which would trigger OML's red and give those strikes right back to you
    Another benefit to this is that by turning some of OML's strikes to protect tiles, it brings him below the cap for the number of strike tiles currently out before creating more. By doing this, you can theoretically have OML pumping out both strike and protect tiles and have his red passive operate a bit more frequently.

On the other hand "plays well with OML" is kind of a weak qualifier for a character. Everyone plays well with OML.
  • Dayv
    Getting a Gambit vibe from this, either that or one of those no-name scrubs from the poll.
    If we ever get Gambit, he's almost guaranteed to have a charge tile mechanic. However, he's an X-Men character, and a second tier one at that*. Don't hold your breath.

*yes, second tier. He's no Wolverine, Jean Grey, or Cyclops (all of whom have warranted at least two versions, two of them 5*). Maybe even third tier, if we put Storm, Colossus, Ice-Man, Angel, and Beast in the next tier. Whatever tier he's in, though, it's at least one tier ahead of Elixir, Hope, or Xorn. Sorry, Elixir fans -- both of you.
  • for me it looks like, she is good for nothing

yellow .... to much ap required to change it fast and often, it would be ok if she change enemy tiles

blue .... the damage is a joke and the blue ap can be better used for other powers (cyclops,iceman)
    it takes to long to get the blue ap and than it takes lot of turns before you get enough ap for a power
    before this works the fight is over
    And I know the Game, you will allways get ap you dont need and what happends if she wanne steal red ap but the enemy has non ?

black ... 3k damage at max level against enemys with 30k or more LP icon_lol.gif

if you take her in your team, its like a dead thing catching your leg
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    After playing her loaner node all I can say is, I hate her.
    Takes 9 blue ap for her passive to work, never happened. Black drains 3 blue ap ensured her passive never triggered
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also didn't think she was anything special when trying the loaner out. But then...she's a 4* in a world where 4*'s barely matter unless they are considerably OP/broken (or have multiple very low AP costs so all those OML folks can abuse him. I mean...that is the primary (only) reason I see Ant-Man and Nova unboosted in PVP's....)