Peter's Complete DDQ4 Strategy Guide - Tips for all Matchups

Comments

• Looking at the next matchup (since I only tried the KP/Cage one a few times), what kind of a chance does a 2/2/2 Carny have against Ock?
    Not as good as a 2/0/2 :-/

I'm working on the writeup now. Doc Ock's manipulation is a direct counter to Carnage black, but he should still be manageable at 2/2/2.
  • Soma
    Soma Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    Peter, this is one of the best posts on the forum! So extremely helpful...especially those of us who are early in the 4* game.

This post needs stickied.
  • Zikato
    Zikato Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Great post. Here's hoping that you will fill out guides for the upcoming fights beforey they arrive.

Also here's an idea. It might be nice if you put enemy hp and/or the damage they deal with spells. So I know ahead if my spells will make a dent or will be totally ineffective.

Keep up the great job!
  • Clyve
    Clyve Posts: 91
    Anyone like my odds with a 0/4/2 icon_carnage.png? I think it might be do-able if I get lucky on denial... I think last time around he was 0/3/2 and I couldn't do it, but maybe if I max level to 147 and with Doc Ock not having a team-up my luck will change?
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Zikato wrote:
    Also here's an idea. It might be nice if you put enemy hp and/or the damage they deal with spells. So I know ahead if my spells will make a dent or will be totally ineffective.

I second these suggestions!
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Clyve wrote:
    Anyone like my odds with a 0/4/2 icon_carnage.png? I think it might be do-able if I get lucky on denial... I think last time around he was 0/3/2 and I couldn't do it, but maybe if I max level to 147 and with Doc Ock not having a team-up my luck will change?

I've got a 1/4/2... still don't think I can do it. I'll give it the ol college try though.
  • Clyve wrote:
    It's going to be really, really hard. You will have to rely mostly on match damage, and really use your attack tiles to your advantage - which is hard to do because of the random nature in how they appear.
  • Zikato wrote:

This is a great idea, and I have thought of doing it in the past, but that information is tough to find for all but 4* enemies until the event opens up. Since I'm typically not at my computer while I play I'm usually not able to update that info during the event. But if you guys can help to find it for me I'll definitely add an "enemy info" section with all that helpful info.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Zikato wrote:

This is a great idea, and I have thought of doing it in the past, but that information is tough to find for all but 4* enemies until the event opens up. Since I'm typically not at my computer while I play I'm usually not able to update that info during the event. But if you guys can help to find it for me I'll definitely add an "enemy info" section with all that helpful info.
    I noticed the level 270 Luke Cage in Kingpin's Clash had roughly 15000 HP and his protect tile reduced match damage by 333 - easy number to remember! Hope that info can be useful.
  • Clyve
    Clyve wrote:
    It's going to be really, really hard. You will have to rely mostly on match damage, and really use your attack tiles to your advantage - which is hard to do because of the random nature in how they appear.

Yeah, I think if I'm going to do it, it'll require +all match damage, and +G/B match damage.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Peter, question on your recommended boosts (at least for Carnage vs. Ock): I notice that you don't mention 150% all color damage, is that because you find them unnecessary to beating the node and it's better to hold onto them when you really do need them, or that it goes without saying that they should be equipped if you have them, or something else?
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Peter, question on your recommended boosts (at least for Carnage vs. Ock): I notice that you don't mention 150% all color damage, is that because you find them unnecessary to beating the node and it's better to hold onto them when you really do need them, or that it goes without saying that they should be equipped if you have them, or something else?

In many cases, your match damage isn't nearly as important as skill damage - especially if you're fighting with an underleveled character. In these cases, using AP boosts to get skills rolling faster is more vital. Many times, it comes down to the wire of being able to fire that one last skill to win.
  • Hey! I beat Doc Ock with my level 106 0-0-3 Carnage. It took 8 tries. A few practice runs with +50% R/Y and G/B boosts, then I added the all color boosts.

By the time it was over, I had traded my 30 all colors for a Legendary!

BTW, first forum post after 700+ days playing.
  • Akari wrote:

In many cases, your match damage isn't nearly as important as skill damage - especially if you're fighting with an underleveled character. In these cases, using AP boosts to get skills rolling faster is more vital. Many times, it comes down to the wire of being able to fire that one last skill to win.
    Right. Additionally, the all boosts aren't always available to all players, and I don't want to give the impression that one needs to spend HP to beat DDQ4 battles.

Obviouslly all damage/AP boosts could be used instead of any grouping of 2 specific colors and make the fight that much easier, but I typically try to save my +all boosts for when I really need them.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Akari wrote:
    Many times, it comes down to the wire of being able to fire that one last skill to win.

I experience the wisdom of this post firsthand today! Took 2/2/2 Carny to 127 (the level cap), and my first attempt I boosted +2 r/y, +2 g/b, +50% g/b damage. As is normally the case, I did a poor job of denying blue and green, and Doc fired each a bunch of times; I'd only stockpiled enough green to fire it once and red to fire it twice when my health had gotten under 1000, so no happy ending here.

With the second attempt, I only used stockpile boosts, i.e. +2 red, +2 green, +2 all, since I was smarting from not being able to hoard as much AP during my previous match (also, I was out of g/b damage boosts). This time, I was a lot better about denying green (so much so that I had enough to fire mine twice) and blue. Ock did get his blue off once, but I had enough health to shrug it off, and since I was waiting to unload everything in one turn, there weren't any attack tiles on the board when he fired his power. In the end, I was able to fire my red 4 times, my green twice, which didn't quite finish him off but at that point I had a comfortable amount of life left, and the attack tiles + match damage took care of him in a turn or two.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    106 2/2/0 +100% all, +50% G/b, +2r/y

Extreme green denial, heavy blue denial, built red up while dragging his health down, he got one blue out, I took out one of my attack.png to stop insult to injury, nipped away until I got him in range for 3 x Scythes and a couple of matches for the win.

Got him to 110 health left when Carnage was level 94.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    That Carnage fight had me in fits!!! My 1/3/2 Carnage I took to his cap of 131. Despite my best efforts I kept coming up just short of taking down Ock.

And when I say JUST SHORT, I mean he had 18 health left one time. Garghgh!!!! Just thinking about it infuriates me as to how many more attempts it took for me to actually finish him.

For my trouble... a Red Starlord.
  • Clyve
    Clyve wrote:
    Clyve wrote:

Yeah, I think if I'm going to do it, it'll require +all match damage, and +G/B match damage.

I was able to pull it off after a few tries with the boosts I mentioned above, though when I finally did complete it, I was only able to use 3 +all match damage boosts. Only had 150 health left or so, but got him and got a phoenix out of it.
  • Cousin Simpson
    So time for the usual "Can my 4* compete in the upcoming node" question: 3/3/1 Thing. I think I screwed up by using 70K iso to champion 2* Bullseye yesterday, so I have very little to work with unless I sell all my mouldering covers.
  • So time for the usual "Can my 4* compete in the upcoming node" question: 3/3/1 Thing. I think I screwed up by using 70K iso to champion 2* Bullseye yesterday, so I have very little to work with unless I sell all my mouldering covers.
    Yes I think so. That 4th red does make a huge difference with the extra turn of stun, but I think you can manage.

Sorry for the delay - working on the tips now.

edit: and it's up. I was struggling with this one because last time I remember it being much harder, but this time around I finished first try with over 5k left. I started with a red match-5 and 3 other red matches on the board, so I had to give one up but then clobbered him 3rd turn, and my 2-turn stun really allowed me to swing the board to my favor. Luckily it pretty much stayed that way for the rest of the match. I gave him an Inferno 2nd to last turn since I had my Yancy and was about to win anyway. Not too bad.