Seriously a Thor tourney?

15678911»

Comments

• Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Or you could win your defenses and gain points icon_e_wink.gif
  • Jester Day wrote:
    I am more and more of the opinion that shields should not exist.

If they would fix their damn matchmaking and point system, shields might acutally serve the purpose they are supposed to.

Otherwise, it's pretty stupid to expect your fan-base to spend Hero Points to, in essence, NOT PLAY THE GAME. Seems counter-productive to what they should want; people to play their game.
  • I managed to finally win a bracket in first place with 653 points (Day 1 player here). There was a guy, Gronk87, that I was trading places with up at the top. I took a lesson from the Best There Is tournament. I was in the top 5 for that bracket as well but ended up falling completely out of the Spiderman covers and ended up with 3 Captain covers (I already had him cover maxed). Playing at the end of the tournament is suicide. Gronk87 experienced this first hand. He got within a point of me and I thought for sure that he would take #1 from me, but then I refresh the rankings and see him lose 30 points...and later I see him fall to around 500. This is the same thing that happened to me in the Wolverine tournament so I can feel his pain since I was looking forward to a Blue Spiderman cover.

To me, it seems like the best thing to do (sadly) is to earn enough HP somehow for a day shield. Play the first 2 days of the tournament and try to get to 600-700 points and then pop a Day shield. However, I guess that depends on how the points are looking in your respective brackets. In both the Wolverine and Thor tournaments, it looked like everyone was hovering between 500-700, so that was my goal and it paid off in the Thor tournament. I don't really like shields but I forced myself to use one in order to get some very desirable GSBW covers I need.
  • The last 3 touraments I've been in, whoever was shielded at #1 at the start of the final day all failed to hold #1 at the end of the day.

Now if your goal is just to finish top 5, shielding at #1 almost always works. But for #1? Sure playing in the final 3 hours is brutal, but someone usually still emerges out of that pack.

What's been changing is that people no longer just totally take the first two days off so that you let someone run away with a 800 rating at the start of the last day. Yeah, you're not catching up to that, but it's increasingly less likely to have this kind of lead unless you shielded for more than 1 day continously.
  • Yea, I really play about 3 hours before the end amd then shield up. If you play in the last hour with a high point value amd a medium team, you're just asking to be attacked like 5 times a minute
  • Puritas wrote:

I was surprised to see that this actually happens when you're shielded, but the problem still remains that once you're unshielded you'll get blitzed more than you can ever hope to recover from.
  • JusticeB wrote:
    Puritas wrote:

I was surprised to see that this actually happens when you're shielded, but the problem still remains that once you're unshielded you'll get blitzed more than you can ever hope to recover from.

Which reinforces the pay to win mechanic. If you want to continue playing this game for free you'll have to save up HPs by placing in the top 45 in several tourneys in order to go all out in a tourney you really want to win. Then it becomes establish a high enough score, shield until dust settles, play a few battles, shield. Repeat until you're #1. If you want to finish top 5 in every event then be prepared to drop some real money on the game.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    It seemed like there was a big jump in attacks at about the T-Minus three hour mark… not quite the level of the end of a tournament, but along those lines, as people tried to shore up their score before shielding.

I don't usually shield, but I really wanted my last GSBW cover.
  • I actually was able to finish top 5 in this tourney without any shields. I think it had a lot to do with the Superbowl and the all-time low player interest and morale though.
  • I actually was able to finish top 5 in this tourney without any shields. I think it had a lot to do with the Superbowl and the all-time low player interest and morale though.

I think it also had a lot to do with where you are in your hidden rating. As you reach the top 10% of the player base where you're mixed with people who have and still do play a lot then it becomes a frenzy. Newer players seem to have a bit of an advantage since if you're pretty good and built a good team from the get go you're competition is weaker. Once you're near the top your team just isn't that threatening to anyone because so many others have an equally strong team.

I did notice that there seemed to be less activity in this one. So you might be right about low morale.
  • UncleSam wrote:
    I actually was able to finish top 5 in this tourney without any shields. I think it had a lot to do with the Superbowl and the all-time low player interest and morale though.

I think it also had a lot to do with where you are in your hidden rating. As you reach the top 10% of the player base where you're mixed with people who have and still do play a lot then it becomes a frenzy. Newer players seem to have a bit of an advantage since if you're pretty good and built a good team from the get go you're competition is weaker. Once you're near the top your team just isn't that threatening to anyone because so many others have an equally strong team.

I did notice that there seemed to be less activity in this one. So you might be right about low morale.

I think my MMR is up there. I've been winning a lot lately. Lightning Rounds might have knocked my MMR down a little, but I finished top 5 in Wolverine, and at least top 45 in everything dating back to round 1 of Hulk's Smash Hit. I've got a solid group of 85-102 characters, and in Big Thunder I was being matched against opponents with roughly the same.
  • I think my MMR is up there. I've been winning a lot lately. Lightning Rounds might have knocked my MMR down a little, but I finished top 5 in Wolverine, and at least top 45 in everything dating back to round 1 of Hulk's Smash Hit. I've got a solid group of 85-102 characters, and in Big Thunder I was being matched against opponents with roughly the same.

You're probably on par or even ahead of where I'm at. The Hulk event is about where I started to take off. Lots of good ISO and fun back then. I haven't put any money into the game, but my wife has. I'm starting to run low on HPs though. Debating if I want to sell my lvl75 Wolvie now that my patch is lvl90 and rebuild him. Already have another nearly complete and the boosted sell rate is still active. Gonna hold onto Thor though. Still useful enough even at 5/5/3
  • I think my MMR is up there. I've been winning a lot lately. Lightning Rounds might have knocked my MMR down a little, but I finished top 5 in Wolverine, and at least top 45 in everything dating back to round 1 of Hulk's Smash Hit. I've got a solid group of 85-102 characters, and in Big Thunder I was being matched against opponents with roughly the same.
    It's not that hidden if you mostly just want to know whether it's high. If you can see thereck and jacobpc and every other team has a 141 Mags on it, you topped out.
  • UncleSam wrote:
    I think my MMR is up there. I've been winning a lot lately. Lightning Rounds might have knocked my MMR down a little, but I finished top 5 in Wolverine, and at least top 45 in everything dating back to round 1 of Hulk's Smash Hit. I've got a solid group of 85-102 characters, and in Big Thunder I was being matched against opponents with roughly the same.

You're probably on par or even ahead of where I'm at. The Hulk event is about where I started to take off. Lots of good ISO and fun back then. I haven't put any money into the game, but my wife has. I'm starting to run low on HPs though. Debating if I want to sell my lvl75 Wolvie now that my patch is lvl90 and rebuild him. Already have another nearly complete and the boosted sell rate is still active. Gonna hold onto Thor though. Still useful enough even at 5/5/3

Yeah, I'm actually thinking of selling Thor. It's not that he's bad, I'm just sorta tired of him.
    Veracity wrote:
    It's not that hidden if you mostly just want to know whether it's high. If you can see thereck and jacobpc and every other team has a 141 Mags on it, you topped out.

Yeah, I'm definitely seeing some 141s around.

Are those guys still around? I know they were accused of cheating by a bunch of people. Curious if anything came of it, because I know I finished 2nd to jacobpc in a tournament once.